E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > High Clutch Pedal

01-12-2024, 04:50 AM   #1
Malteser_wfj
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2012 Manual

High Clutch Pedal

Hi guys,

Does anyone else who has a manual find that the clutch pedal sits high in the footwell?

What I mean is that the brake sits higher than the accelerator (as normal) but then the clutch is even higher up than the brake. - all of this with the pedals as they are as rest with no input.

I've had an E30, E46 and a other manual cars before but none have had a setup like this.

Is this normal for the E9x platform and is there any way of bringing the pedal to be more in line with the brake?

Side on from outside the car (RHD) it would look like:

C B A

| | |
/ / /

I'll take a picture tomorrow to explain better. Car is a 2012 335i with the factory clutch & I haven't attempted to bleed the system yet but I plan on doing this soon when I change the gearbox fluid.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

The pedal boxes for different cars are different. The e90's box is somewhat more narrow than older BMWs. That is all.

I'm a little annoyed that there isn't enough space between the clutch and brake to allow comfortable left foot braking with normal shoes. c’est la vie.

You'd be bonkers to try and rectify this 'problem'. Just adapt.
      01-12-2024, 01:20 PM   #3
Malteser_wfj
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2012 Manual

If the only difference is that it's more narrow, is there any reason why the clutch sits so high up?

Is yours the same with it being an inch or so further up than the brake pedal?

I hardly think trying to find out info and see if that's even how it should be (I bought the first one I saw so have nothing to compare it to) or if anyone else has had the same thought process is bonkers.

God forbid I open the bleed screw and do some basic diagnosis to understand my car better
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Yes, that's perfectly normal. It's just how the cars are built.