E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any Coders In Yorkshire Or Surrounding Areas

08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

Any Coders In Yorkshire Or Surrounding Areas

Hi guys are there any coders anywhere in yorkshire. I live in beverley near hull but don't mind driving to get things done. Car is e92 335d pre lci

Many thanks

Andy
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I am looking for one too and I believe the answer is currently 'no.'

If you find one, let me know. I'm near Leeds, but it's a nice between here and Beverley so if any coders want a group buy location - choose either!!

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Im in Notts and would like the Alpine code and V.I.M code so if we get one near the middle I'd be up for this too

I actually have the cable but cant for the life of me get NCS expert to run on my netbook
      08-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

I thought someone within our community would help us out
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I recently 'learnt' to code my car, and was able to code my car from base audio to HiFi. Initially I tired remote coding with a forum member but it proved too problematic with me having a Mac and him a PC. So bought a cheap cable off eBay and spent a weekend messing around/downloading stuff and eventually got it to work!!

It's not hard, you just have to persistent and there is plenty of stuff on the forums but essentially you need a few things...

1) USB to OBD cable, there are a few versions, I bought a USB to OBD K+ Dcan cable for £23.

2) USB driver for the cable. Plenty of info around on the forums/google about how to install and set up cable.

3) Software: This was a pain, essentially for the USB cable to talk to the car you need something called EDIABAS installed. This contains all the code letting your computer talk to the car, without this bit of software none of the other stuff would work. There are also various versions of it available.

4) Setting up: INPA is the next bit of software needed. This lets your computer 'talk' to the car via the USB cable providing the EDIABAS stuff is installed properly. You can read codes etc but no coding can be done.

5) Coding: Once your sure your USB cable and INPA software can talk to the car you can start coding. There appears to be various coding software around, they vary in how much GUI they have (Graphic user interface). The simplest and the one I believe BMW uses at the factory is called NCS expert. This bit of software let's you read and 'code' the various computers on the car. Everything is in Germany and none of it is very easy to use, but it works!!

The actually 'coding' bit took 5 minutes (after a few hours of research on how to use NCS expert)!! It took a whole weekend fo downloading drivers/software for me to get to past step 4!!

B M W C O D I N G.C O M has plenty of info!!

It was a lot of pain trying to get things to work, but it's well worth the effort knowing how to read codes/code retrofits your self without having to vist a dealer or garage

I have a mac so had to run all of the above in a 'virtual machine' which was both good and bad. It meant I had "fresh" version of windows XP to play with and wasn't worried about messing up settings etc, the downside was everything run a bit slow but actually boht NSC expert and INPA ran fine since they are actually very simple programs.

Last edited by gangzoom; 08-10-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Meshyo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I recently 'learnt' to code my car, and was able to code my car from base audio to HiFi. Initially I tired remote coding with a forum member but it proved too problematic with me having a Mac and him a PC. So bought a cheap cable off eBay and spent a weekend messing around/downloading stuff and eventually got it to work!!

It's not hard, you just have to persistent and there is plenty of stuff on the forums but essentially you need a few things...

1) USB to OBD cable, there are a few versions, I bought a USB to OBD K+ Dcan cable for £23.

2) USB driver for the cable. Plenty of info around on the forums/google about how to install and set up cable.

3) Software: This was a pain, essentially for the USB cable to talk to the car you need something called EDIABAS installed. This contains all the code letting your computer talk to the car, without this bit of software none of the other stuff would work. There are also various versions of it available.

4) Setting up: INPA is the next bit of software needed. This lets your computer 'talk' to the car via the USB cable providing the EDIABAS stuff is installed properly. You can read codes etc but no coding can be done.

5) Coding: Once your sure your USB cable and INPA software can talk to the car you can start coding. There appears to be various coding software around, they vary in how much GUI they have (Graphic user interface). The simplest and the one I believe BMW uses at the factory is called NCS expert. This bit of software let's you read and 'code' the various computers on the car. Everything is in Germany and none of it is very easy to use, but it works!!

The actually 'coding' bit took 5 minutes (after a few hours of research on how to use NCS expert)!! It took a whole weekend fo downloading drivers/software for me to get to past step 4!!

B M W C O D I N G.C O M has plenty of info!!

It was a lot of pain trying to get things to work, but it's well worth the effort knowing how to read codes/code retrofits your self without having to vist a dealer or garage

I have a mac so had to run all of the above in a 'virtual machine' which was both good and bad. It meant I had "fresh" version of windows XP to play with and wasn't worried about messing up settings etc, the downside was everything run a bit slow but actually boht NSC expert and INPA ran fine since they are actually very simple programs.

Site quoted +1!!! Really helps me out
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
shuzzy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Sport

Peter Van de Veer based in Marsden, Huddersfield does BMW coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Guys, I know my local indy has just bought all the equipment - not sure what he can do with it etc but it might be worth a call - Forge Garage in Bolton Abbey which is approx 40 mins from Leeds
Appreciate 0