F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Production Hit By Ukraine Crisis
GetBMWParts

03-08-2022, 10:59 PM   #23
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindledSaddle View Post
Oh yikes! Sorry to hear about your situation as well. Mine has been sitting in that same status... since July of 2021, so I definitely share your frustration. I'm not holding out too much hope in receiving the car given that the end of production of the G12 is coming up in June, but let's hope it somehow works out...

This whole situation has left me such a bitter taste in my mouth. It feels like I've made a serious mistake with this order and should have went with my other option.
Your car has been sitting in Order Received status since LAST JULY???

What does BMW have to say about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #24
BrindledSaddle
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB S560 4M as Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Your car has been sitting in Order Received status since LAST JULY???

What does BMW have to say about that?
That is correct. The B7 was ordered in early July 2021, right after the holidays. I was told that it would go into production in August/September, I could expect delivery by Christmas or beginning of 2022. September 2021 went and passed with no news so I called BMWNA multiple times only to find out that it was scheduled for week 4 (2022). The genius phone operators chimed... why is your production pushed back into next year.. it's really strange. But no one had any answers and would be willing to help me find out what was going on.

Dealership begrudingly admitted that it was delayed to week 4. Although I was upset, I tried to be understanding...

By October, with no updates from the dealership despite me asking them to keep me informed... I began calling BMWNA and found out that it was delayed again, this time to week 12, but no reason was given by the multiple BMWNA/Genius number operators. Some even remarked they've never seen anything like it but didn't know how to help. In the meantime, the dealership remained silent.

Frustrated, I call BMWNA/Genius multiple times to try to understand what is going on, but get operators who are unable or unwilling to help me at all.

Eventually, I am able to connect to BMWNA/Genius operator who is actually helpful and they make a few calls for me... She relays to me that there was a unavailable part, delaying production repeatedly as the supplier kept missing deadlines. It was beyond frustrating I have to call multiple times to try to get the right operator who is willing to help. I suspect it might be an Alpina specific part, given that I've heard of numerous other 750/740s being built and delivered without experiencing the type of delays I had.

Resigned to Week 12 production, I waited until January to call BMWNA for an update again. It's now delayed to June (2022) production. At this point, I might as well be talking to Western European politicians who sweet talk and do very little. I know darn well that the production end date for the G12 is in June and that there is very little chance for the car to be built.

Beyond angry, I called the dealership to cancel the order. They panicked and sent a few emails to their Alpina contact and the order was moved up by 4 weeks to May production and that is where it sits.

I have never been so frustrated as I have with this ordeal. Given the war in Europe, I am guessing the vehicle will not go into production at all and the line will get retooled for the G70 with the silly lack-ury interior, which I will not buy.

It was to be my first BMW (Alpina)..but given thow this has unfurled, I won't be driving a BMW, and it will stay that way. Seriously kicking myself for choosing BMW over the W12 Flying Spur.

Last edited by BrindledSaddle; 03-09-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #25
sevenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Oh yikes! Sorry to hear about your situation as well. Mine has been sitting in that same status... since July of 2021, so I definitely share your frustration. I'm not holding out too much hope in receiving the car given that the end of production of the G12 is coming up in June, but let's hope it somehow works out...

This whole situation has left me such a bitter taste in my mouth. It feels like I've made a serious mistake with this order and should have went with my other option.
Same things... M5 Comp was ordered mid July of 2021. First production date Sept 2021, delayed to Nov 2021. In mid-november delayed to Jan 2022. According to the last notification in January, the car can be manufactured in April at the earliest. But they can't say anything specific.

The only extra information from my salesperson is that the delay is due to the lack of a HK and BW sound system.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 04:06 PM   #26
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is correct. The B7 was ordered in early July 2021, right after the holidays. I was told that it would go into production in August/September, I could expect delivery by Christmas or beginning of 2022. September 2021 went and passed with no news so I called BMWNA multiple times only to find out that it was scheduled for week 4 (2022). The genius phone operators chimed... why is your production pushed back into next year.. it's really strange. But no one had any answers and would be willing to help me find out what was going on.

Dealership begrudingly admitted that it was delayed to week 4. Although I was upset, I tried to be understanding...

By October, with no updates from the dealership despite me asking them to keep me informed... I began calling BMWNA and found out that it was delayed again, this time to week 12, but no reason was given by the multiple BMWNA/Genius number operators. Some even remarked they've never seen anything like it but didn't know how to help. In the meantime, the dealership remained silent.

Frustrated, I call BMWNA/Genius multiple times to try to understand what is going on, but get operators who are unable or unwilling to help me at all.

Eventually, I am able to connect to BMWNA/Genius operator who is actually helpful and they make a few calls for me... She relays to me that there was a unavailable part, delaying production repeatedly as the supplier kept missing deadlines. It was beyond frustrating I have to call multiple times to try to get the right operator who is willing to help. I suspect it might be an Alpina specific part, given that I've heard of numerous other 750/740s being built and delivered without experiencing the type of delays I had.

Resigned to Week 12 production, I waited until January to call BMWNA for an update again. It's now delayed to June (2022) production. At this point, I might as well be talking to Western European politicians who sweet talk and do very little. I know darn well that the production end date for the G12 is in June and that there is very little chance for the car to be built.

Beyond angry, I called the dealership to cancel the order. They panicked and sent a few emails to their Alpina contact and the order was moved up by 4 weeks to May production and that is where it sits.

I have never been so frustrated as I have with this ordeal. Given the war in Europe, I am guessing the vehicle will not go into production at all and the line will get retooled for the G70 with the silly lack-ury interior, which I will not buy.

It was to be my first BMW (Alpina)..but given thow this has unfurled, I won't be driving a BMW, and it will stay that way. Seriously kicking myself for choosing BMW over the W12 Flying Spur.
That all really sucks. It amazed me from calling the Genius a bunch of times while waiting my M4 how some of them seemed to have a clue, some of them seemed to care and some were neither and just seemed to make up answers in BMWspeak.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #27
sjoyal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328ix

Screen

Hello All, my 2014 bmw 328ix screen went German on me (I was able to put it back to English) and now I cannot see any of my vehicle status (oil, tpm etc) also when I switch from sport to comfort or eco it would display the car in red blue or white on my screen that is no longer working either. How do I fix this? My car does not have navigation or the full screen, can I still reset it?

Thanks
Sarah
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #28
BrindledSaddle
Rep

Quote:
That all really sucks. It amazed me from calling the Genius a bunch of times while waiting my M4 how some of them seemed to have a clue, some of them seemed to care and some were neither and just seemed to make up answers in BMWspeak.
Yeah, that type of inconsistency across the Genius/BMWNA group that resulted in hours and hours of wasted time on the phone is the one thing that drove me crazy! I feel so glad to know it's not just me who have experienced this. At one point I thought maybe it was just me percieving this.

The sheer frustration I experienced with BMWNA/Genius and the dealership was one of the things that really put me off BMW altogether. I would ask why my vehicle continues to get delayed, and they respond, your vehicle is scheduled for week (insert number here) pretending they just answered my question. And this type of format continued with just about anything I asked. I'm okay with bad news, I can handle it, but I just don't like being lied to or being given an answer that I did not ask for and it certainly felt like that was part of the culture.

Let's not even mention some of the operators making up stuff. I had one person even tell me that I could order a Alpina B5 in the US (Which I know is completely false) and would probably make a lot of people here in the US very happy I would imagine. Arggg. If only I had just went with my instinct to order the W12 Flying Spur, I could have avoided all this.

Last edited by BrindledSaddle; 03-09-2022 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:03 AM   #29
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Update:
Name:  LMC4.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  178.5 KB

https://www.just-auto.com/features/u...estern-europe/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #30
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
That's a surprisingly short closure with the war still unknown, unless its something they'll keep extending like the airline mask mandate.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I can't imagine how miserable I'd feel if I'd been waiting months for my car in the midst of all the current delays and then when its finally on the way it sinks enroute, only to head back in line for them to make me a new one. I always joke about it coming via the same route at the Titanic, but who thinks the ship might ACTUALLY sink????
A friend of mine has a GT4 RS on order. Delivery (Europe) was expected for mid 2022. Apart from the ongoing geopolitical events, especially after the Felicity Ace burnt and sunk near the Azores, no more hope for delivery this year. Looks like Porsche will ensure to give priority to customers of the sunk 1100.
      03-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #32
BrindledSaddle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A friend of mine has a GT4 RS on order. Delivery (Europe) was expected for mid 2022. Apart from the ongoing geopolitical events, especially after the Felicity Ace burnt and sunk near the Azores, no more hope for delivery this year. Looks like Porsche will ensure to give priority to customers of the sunk 1100.
Yeah that situation sucks for everyone. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully something can be done for those who have lost their cars on the boat. I've heard of some who had waited over a year + for theirs only for it to go poof. I'd probably lose hope and go order something else maybe. Hopefully those customers are able to get their vehicles sooner rather than later. I could not imagine waiting an extra year + on top of the ship fire.

I have to admit, the fires with the batteries from EVs in enclosed spaces being difficult to put out and keep out (due to reignition) is a concern I've had speculated and was concerned about.
Fires happen in any car, but the fact that EV fires are excessively difficult to put out, runs excessively hot, and can reignite unless constantly nannied after being extinguished makes it a huge problem.
I find it rather ironic that I was just discussing this issue with a friend and it happens with the Felicity Ace... where the battery packs ignite each other due to the heat, and becomes impossible to put out with conventional means.

How the heck do you put it out when a whole lot of them catches on fire, given how hot (1000C, if I'm not mistaken) these fires can get.. and the problem with these batteries re-igniting.. forcing the batteries to be flushed with cold water to keep the temperatures from running away and causing another ignition. I suppose we got the answer, let it burn until all the battery packs that has ignited has completely burned out.

I wonder how this would be handled in a underground parking garage, or parkhouses, or other buildings where one parks their cars; that have low ceilings and are notoriously difficult to extract vehicles from.. or a underground tunnel. Do you just let it burn in there? Because fires of that temperature would cause the metal skeltons in the building to deform and we know what happens with that, given what happened in 9/11 with the twin towers collapsing as a result of the metalworks being heated, as an example. A matter of time before insurance companies see the risk and begin to take action I would assume.

Last edited by BrindledSaddle; 03-11-2022 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 01:19 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how this would be handled in a underground parking garage, or parkhouses, or other buildings where one parks their cars; that have low ceilings and are notoriously difficult to extract vehicles from.. or a underground tunnel. Do you just let it burn in there? Because fires of that temperature would cause the metal skeltons in the building to deform and we know what happens with that, given what happened in 9/11 with the twin towers collapsing as a result of the metalworks being heated, as an example. A matter of time before insurance companies see the risk and begin to take action I would assume.
Last month a Volkswagen ID.3 (full electric vehicle) caught fire in an underground parking lot in Brussels also used by a Flemish newspaper. Reportedly the third fire accident in 6 months with such car. Volkswagen Wolfsburg investigates the wreck.

Name:  Volkswagen_ID3_Brussels.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  220.5 KB
      03-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #34
BrindledSaddle
Rep

Quote:
Last month a Volkswagen ID.3 (full electric vehicle) caught fire in an underground parking lot in Brussels also used by a Flemish newspaper. Reportedly the third fire accident in 6 months with such car. Volkswagen Wolfsburg investigates the wreck.

Attachment 2832839
It's a good thing they were able to put it out. The surrounding damage shows quite a bit of heat related damage all around. With fires like this, current fire extinguishing sprinklers would be rendered obsolete very quickly.

Thankfully it looks like it was only one vehicle. I do not want to know what would happen if there were other battery cars parked near it. I shudder to think what would happen in an underground parking garage with many battery cars and a skyscraper/tower built above it..
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      03-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #35
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
It's a good thing they were able to put it out. The surrounding damage shows quite a bit of heat related damage all around. With fires like this, current fire extinguishing sprinklers would be rendered obsolete very quickly.

Thankfully it looks like it was only one vehicle. I do not want to know what would happen if there were other battery cars parked near it. I shudder to think what would happen in an underground parking garage with many battery cars and a skyscraper/tower built above it..
Or at home at night...
      03-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #36
BrindledSaddle
Rep

Quote:
Or at home at night...
Thankfully that is something I, personally will not have to worry about. But others must defintely think about and make their own decisions based on their tolerance for risk. If it were me, that risk would be too much to have in my home at night.

I personally own only non-battery cars and it will stay that way. I would never ever have battery cars anywhere near any structures or near homes.

For me, it is why visitors to my home must park their battery vehicles about 250 meters away in a open field away from structures, so in the event it catches on fire, it can burn until the battery packs are completely burned out without risking any of my physical property.

Not because it can catch fire, but because should a fire happen, the fire is excessively hot, long lasting, with a high chance of reignition unless properly cooled and monitored. That's too much risk, both in terms of insurance, potential damage, and out of pocket costs.

Last edited by BrindledSaddle; 03-12-2022 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #37
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Or at home at night...
Thankfully that is something I, personally will not have to worry about. But others must defintely think about and make their own decisions based on their tolerance for risk. If it were me, that risk would be too much to have in my home at night.

I personally own only non-battery cars and it will stay that way. I would never ever have battery cars anywhere near any structures or near homes.

For me, it is why visitors to my home must park their battery vehicles about 250 meters away in a open field away from structures, so in the event it catches on fire, it can burn until the battery packs are completely burned out without risking any of my physical property.

Not because it can catch fire, but because should a fire happen, the fire is excessively hot, long lasting, with a high chance of reignition unless properly cooled and monitored. That's too much risk, both in terms of insurance, potential damage, and out of pocket costs.
So people with BEV actually visit and park 250 meters from your home. You must have a great personalty for people with BEVs wanting to visit you and park their cars in a field someplace. 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #38
daddymac
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

It's not looking good
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #39
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You really make people park that far away from your house because you think the risk of their car catching on fire while they are there is that high? I guess on Mars where you apparently live there is space for that.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      03-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #40
BrindledSaddle
Rep

Quote:
You really make people park that far away from your house because you think the risk of their car catching on fire while they are there is that high? I guess on Mars where you apparently live there is space for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
So people with BEV actually visit and park 250 meters from your home. You must have a great personalty for people with BEVs wanting to visit you and park their cars in a field someplace. ��
I merely ask them to park a sufficient distance away from my structures, and they can be given a ride in one of my vehicles to my residence if they so choose. But most of the time, I greet and walk with them. You might be surprised how wonderful and relaxing taking a short walk is, weather permitting of course.

It's my money and my property. Not for someone else to determine what risk is acceptable for me based on their viewpoints, beliefs, financial situation, or past experiences. Because it's certainly not in my area to go tell you what your aptitude for risk tolerance should be. Different people, different viewpoints. There is no need for telling me how I should live or should choose/assess my own risk or liability, since you won't be the one who will be footing the bill for such liability.

The focus was not on the chances of catching fire- which you seem to have mistakenly identified and based your discourse on. Please read carefully what I wrote before.

"Not because it can catch fire, but because should a fire happen, the fire is excessively hot, long lasting, with a high chance of reignition unless properly cooled and monitored. That's too much risk, both in terms of insurance, potential damage, and out of pocket costs."

I'm concerned about what happens should it catch on fire. Can I put it out? If it's a gasoline/disel fire, they can be managed with regularly available equipment on my property before spreading and damaging a variety of structures. Batteries by their very nature are difficult to put out with standard equipment available on my property. It's not a simple douse it with foam and water. I am well aware that most likely the solution will be to 'let it burn', which will increase damage to structures and spread damage to a variety of structures if they are too close.

I am not interested in having someone who is way underinsured for property damage (which most people are) potentially doing a LOT more damage than what they could imagine. And no, I'm not interested in having PURE start picking up for someone else's damage - hence the comment about out of pocket costs.

I know I wouldn't step on your toes about your choices on your own property or your viewpoints, since that's not my perview. We both may disagree on a variety of points and may have a great deal of discussion over a wide plethora of viewpoints; but there is no need for the after the whistle hit that's being made just for the sake of it. Or perhaps because it is a sign of the times where we are conditioned to do so.

I hope that you can be more respectful of someone who may have different viewpoints than you do instead of taking cheap shots at others: Because I certainly don't appreciate those types of comments that attempt to humorize and belittle what I do in my own property, and I would kindly ask you to refrain from that type of behavior.

For me at least, differences in thought, opinions, and beliefs are completely expected and acceptable unlike the way society has become these days. But that does not mean you ought to attempt to belittle or twist someone's arm into convincing them of your viewpiont. While we can discuss cordially, we also must understand that in some points, we just might not see eye to eye and that's OKAY. Hell, we can even be close friends, share wonderful times, and experiences with whom we don't see eye to eye on a variety of topics or things. It's not the end of the world.

If you focus on the things you do have in common, you may find yourselves plenty surprised by the fact that it is quite possible to communicate cordially and even be on very friendly terms with a variety of people you may have never considered possible. Is that possible with everyone? I'm certainly under no illusion to think I get along with absolutely everyone and I know it is not always possible to get along with everyone. However, I always give everyone a clean slate and make a genuine effort and attempt. I've always attempted to maintain relationships with people who are on vastly different spectrums/universes and surprisingly we all get along regardless of the fact we don't agree on all sorts of silly things. Unfortunately, since the 9/11 terror event..the recession, the subsequent elections with ever hostile discourse; so many have started to become more partisan, entrenched, and apt for pettiness.

At least for me, that has always been the key to life. Treating others with respect and regard even if I do not find their thoughts entirely agreeable. We can disagree on a lot of things but that does not mean all the boundaries come down and we are able to meddle into others lives. After all, I cannot live your life and you cannot live in mine, no matter how hard we may try, so I would appreciate it if you would simply go on and respect that my views are different than yours. Because I would be willing to bet that there are a variety of topics that we will be able to agree upon and have fun interactions and conversations around.

Last edited by BrindledSaddle; 03-13-2022 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10662.00
      03-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #41
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
So people with BEV actually visit and park 250 meters from your home. You must have a great personalty for people with BEVs wanting to visit you and park their cars in a field someplace. ��
I merely ask them to park a sufficient distance away from my structures, and they can be given a ride in one of my vehicles to my residence if they so choose. But most of the time, I greet and walk with them. You might be surprised how wonderful and relaxing taking a short walk is, weather permitting of course.

It's my money and my property. Not for someone else to determine what risk is acceptable for me based on their viewpoints, beliefs, financial situation, or past experiences. Because it's certainly not in my area to go tell you what your aptitude for risk tolerance should be. Different people, different viewpoints. There is no need for telling me how I should live or should choose/assess my own risk or liability, since you won't be the one who will be footing the bill for such liability.

The focus was not on the chances of catching fire- which you seem to have mistakenly identified and based your discourse on. Please read carefully what I wrote before.

"Not because it can catch fire, but because should a fire happen, the fire is excessively hot, long lasting, with a high chance of reignition unless properly cooled and monitored. That's too much risk, both in terms of insurance, potential damage, and out of pocket costs."

I'm concerned about what happens should it catch on fire. Can I put it out? If it's a gasoline/disel fire, they can be managed with regularly available equipment on my property before spreading and damaging a variety of structures. Batteries by their very nature are difficult to put out with standard equipment available on my property. It's not a simple douse it with foam and water. I am well aware that most likely the solution will be to 'let it burn', which will increase damage to structures and spread damage to a variety of structures if they are too close.

I am not interested in having someone who is way underinsured for property damage (which most people are) potentially doing a LOT more damage than what they could imagine. And no, I'm not interested in having PURE start picking up for someone else's damage - hence the comment about out of pocket costs.

I know I wouldn't step on your toes about your choices on your own property or your viewpoints, since that's not my perview. We both may disagree on a variety of points and may have a great deal of discussion over a wide plethora of viewpoints; but there is no need for the after the whistle hit that's being made just for the sake of it. Or perhaps because it is a sign of the times where we are conditioned to do so.

I hope that you can be more respectful of someone who may have different viewpoints than you do instead of taking cheap shots at others: Because I certainly don't appreciate those types of comments that attempt to humorize and belittle what I do in my own property, and I would kindly ask you to refrain from that type of behavior.

For me at least, differences in thought, opinions, and beliefs are completely expected and acceptable unlike the way society has become these days. But that does not mean you ought to attempt to belittle or twist someone's arm into convincing them of your viewpiont. While we can discuss cordially, we also must understand that in some points, we just might not see eye to eye and that's OKAY. Hell, we can even be close friends, share wonderful times, and experiences with whom we don't see eye to eye on a variety of topics or things. It's not the end of the world.

If you focus on the things you do have in common, you may find yourselves plenty surprised by the fact that it is quite possible to communicate cordially and even be on very friendly terms with a variety of people you may have never considered possible. Is that possible with everyone? I'm certainly under no illusion to think I get along with absolutely everyone and I know it is not always possible to get along with everyone. However, I always give everyone a clean slate and make a genuine effort and attempt. I've always attempted to maintain relationships with people who are on vastly different spectrums/universes and surprisingly we all get along regardless of the fact we don't agree on all sorts of silly things. Unfortunately, since the 9/11 terror event..the recession, the subsequent elections with ever hostile discourse; so many have started to become more partisan, entrenched, and apt for pettiness.

At least for me, that has always been the key to life. Treating others with respect and regard even if I do not find their thoughts entirely agreeable. We can disagree on a lot of things but that does not mean all the boundaries come down and we are able to meddle into others lives. After all, I cannot live your life and you cannot live in mine, no matter how hard we may try, so I would appreciate it if you would simply go on and respect that my views are different than yours. Because I would be willing to bet that there are a variety of topics that we will be able to agree upon and have fun interactions and conversations around.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. As long as you're following the golden rule, it is fine. If you're not, in today's world it doesn't matter any way, since who cares? So you're all good 👍🏻
Appreciate 0