E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 VANOS Bolt Failure Prevention

03-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #111
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

vanos failure

My good friend is willing to speak to any person who has had trouble with their VANOS.

His website is: http://www.stpetersburginjurylawyers.com

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #112
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s View Post
Here's what I wrote them (I expanded on dcaron9999's template) and mailed to BMW NA
Thanks Markus! I leveraged your template as well, and sent this letter to BMW Canada Customer Service:

BMW Canada
Customer Service
50 Ultimate Drive, Richmond Hill
Ontario, L4S 0C8

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you as I am concerned about the safety of my car. There are several public complaints of users putting their lives at risk due to a documented defect with N55 engines produced from 2/2010 to 12/2010. This engine is used in several BMW models, mine included. The defect is as follows: One, or both of the VANOS gear assemblies have failed; the attaching bolts may have also loosened and/or broken. This has sometimes caused a sudden loss of power, resulting in a potentially dangerous situation, and failure of the engine. BMW has issued a Service Information bulletin SI B12 14 12 but has not issued a recall to prevent this issue, even if the vehicles are relatively new, and still under base warranty.

Due to this issue, I am considering selling my car before I reach the end of my factory warranty, which happens in May 2015. I really appreciate my BMW 135i and enjoy the way it drives but knowing that this VANOS issue is something that could likely happen to my car, I am unfortunately considering on switching brands.

I assume it will only get worse as the mileage on these cars increases and failures happen more often. Considering that this only affects a relatively small number of cars, a recall seems like it would avoid potential dreadful media exposure comparable to the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues the N54 engines have/had, which has led to the extended warranties on this part.

To resolve the problem, I would appreciate a replacement of the VANOS assemblies with the latest revision as a preventive measure, or getting an extended warranty on these units specifically, before my base warranty expires.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.

John Doe

Vehicle Information: 2011 135i Coupe
Mileage: 56,500Kms.
Purchase Date : June 28, 2013
Warranty expiration: May 2015
VIN #: ....
Local dealership where vehicle is serviced: ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #113
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

After sending in my complaint letter to BMW Canada regarding my May 2010 N55 production date, I got a call back 2 days later from a polite lady. Cant say I was impressed by the response though. It went something like this ...

BMW Customer Service Rep: "We understand your concern with the safety of your vehicle, we have verified your VIN number against our database, and your car is not affected by this, so your vehicle is safe ..."

Me: "...but the SIB clearly indicates that all N55 engines produced between Feb 2010 and Dec 2010 date are affected ..."

BMW Customer Service Rep: " ... we have specifically verified your VIN number and even though you engine Production date falls within this range, not all N55 are affected, and there are no other outstanding recalls for you VIN at this point ..."

Me: " ... pause ... sigh ... OK then. Thank you for your call ..."
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #114
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
It sounds to me like there were multiple plants making the engine and there are only problems at one plant. I bet BMW has this list, but it isn't available to the public. Very interesting, I think I am going to write them too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #115
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999
After sending in my complaint letter to BMW Canada regarding my May 2010 N55 production date, I got a call back 2 days later from a polite lady. Cant say I was impressed by the response though. It went something like this ...

BMW Customer Service Rep: "We understand your concern with the safety of your vehicle, we have verified your VIN number against our database, and your car is not affected by this, so your vehicle is safe ..."

Me: "...but the SIB clearly indicates that all N55 engines produced between Feb 2010 and Dec 2010 date are affected ..."

BMW Customer Service Rep: " ... we have specifically verified your VIN number and even though you engine Production date falls within this range, not all N55 are affected, and there are no other outstanding recalls for you VIN at this point ..."

Me: " ... pause ... sigh ... OK then. Thank you for your call ..."
yeah I called but referred to the SIB and went over with them. it clearly states your model in it. I had a awesome lady when I called...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #116
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

admin - please sticky this.
      04-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #117
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
BMW NA received my letter and I got a call from them today. Side note: not sure if they hire supermodels for their call center but the girl I talked to sounded about as hot as it gets.

She was very nice, told me that she understands my concern and said that she can submit an official complaint on my behalf, which documents that I have brought the issue up while I was still in warranty and would most likely cover me even if this happened out of warranty (within reason of course). She said that there is no investigation into the issue as of yet, but should there be in the future, a recall might be issued. In the event of a recall, people that have paid to have this fixed would be reimbursed. She said that was all she could do at the moment since not enough people have come forward with this issue.

So, please write your letters and complaints and let's put this on their radar and get this recall issued!
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #118
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
BMW NA received my letter and I got a call from them today. Side note: not sure if they hire supermodels for their call center but the girl I talked to sounded about as hot as it gets.
LOL ... I swear to you - that is a hiring criteria. Couldn't help but noticed that myself over here in Canada. She could have sold me almost anything with a voice like that...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #119
Rocmit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Is recall at China the same issue?

I have been reading about BMW recall at China. I am wondering if the issue is the same... The production range is wider than what was listed in the SIB though... Those imported cars must have came from the same production as our cars, right?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...lt-defect.html
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #120
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocmit View Post
I have been reading about BMW recall at China. I am wondering if the issue is the same... The production range is wider than what was listed in the SIB though... Those imported cars must have came from the same production as our cars, right?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...lt-defect.html
sounds like the same thing. Seems like it's just a matter of time before it ends up being a recall over here too...hopefully
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #121
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
sounds like the same thing. Seems like it's just a matter of time before it ends up being a recall over here too...hopefully
It seems like a different issue actually. That article talks about bolts for some control unit breaking off and it talks about a "seal". Maybe they are talking about the bolts on the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #122
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe View Post
It seems like a different issue actually. That article talks about bolts for some control unit breaking off and it talks about a "seal". Maybe they are talking about the bolts on the ECU?
shows what i know
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #123
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
shows what i know
You might be right still! Who knows
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #124
BoostNinja
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
You can't just replace the bolts, they aren't designed to be easily removed and you can't order them, they have a special bolt head.

You need to replace the entire VANOS units (aka controller aka gear) both intake and exhaust, they are $300 a piece, the new units come with the upgraded bolts.

$600 for parts 2-3 hours for a good tech.

BMW should be recalling this, its bullshit.

If anyone in Socal wants to get this done, I have a great BMW Master Tech that will do it better and less expensive then anyone, PM ME for his info.
I would like to see a good tech do that job in 2-3 hours lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #125
lakeman
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70 N55

Vanos failure

New to the site. Great information. Have my 2011 E70 N55 at dealership for possible Vanos failure. 1/2 engine warning light. 56k miles. Just out of warranty. Will it be the Vanos bolts? Swapped solenoids, replaced and swapped with a new solenoid, code stays the same. Making rattling noises and sputtering acceleration. Some weird throaty exhaust. SA has warned me to brace for the worse. Will post as I get word. Thanks again for all of the great info on this site.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #126
lakeman
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70 N55

Reuters BMW Recall China

Here is the Reuters story. Specifically states that its about the Vanos bolts:

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - BMW (GER:BMW.DE - News) on Wednesday said it had agreed to recall a total 232,000 imported and locally produced cars in China and will decide whether further recalls are necessary in other markets.

The recall is to see whether the vehicles with six-cylinder petrol engines have screws on a certain component which are prone to breaking and may cause an oil loss, a spokesman said.

BMW and the Chinese regulator on Wednesday decided a recall was necessary, the spokesman further said.

"We are reviewing the situation for other markets," the spokesman said, adding that BMW 1-series, 3-series, 5-series 6-series as well as the offroad variants X1, X3, X3 and X6 are being probed for the fault.

Vehicles will be checked starting in June to see if the screws on the casing of the VANOS valve timing system are prone to breaking. If a screw breaks, VANOS may lose oil and a warning lamp will alert owners to seek a garage to prevent engine damage.

(Reporting by Edward Taylor)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #127
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
My complaint is being escalated right now. Maybe we got enough in that they are taking a serious look at it? I didn't get the standard kiss off letter. I got that response on Wed. and I will let you know what I hear from the next person.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #128
jakuum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
Here is the Reuters story. Specifically states that its about the Vanos bolts:

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - BMW (GER:BMW.DE - News) on Wednesday said it had agreed to recall a total 232,000 imported and locally produced cars in China and will decide whether further recalls are necessary in other markets.

The recall is to see whether the vehicles with six-cylinder petrol engines have screws on a certain component which are prone to breaking and may cause an oil loss, a spokesman said.

BMW and the Chinese regulator on Wednesday decided a recall was necessary, the spokesman further said.

"We are reviewing the situation for other markets," the spokesman said, adding that BMW 1-series, 3-series, 5-series 6-series as well as the offroad variants X1, X3, X3 and X6 are being probed for the fault.

Vehicles will be checked starting in June to see if the screws on the casing of the VANOS valve timing system are prone to breaking. If a screw breaks, VANOS may lose oil and a warning lamp will alert owners to seek a garage to prevent engine damage.

(Reporting by Edward Taylor)
Interesting. Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling in the US and other markets. I still need to write a letter myself and mail it in to BMW of North America.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #129
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakuum View Post
Interesting. Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling in the US and other markets. I still need to write a letter myself and mail it in to BMW of North America.
You can also FAX your letter to Customer Service Dept if that is easier for you. That is what I did and I got a response 2 days later.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #130
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

WOW. This kind of pisses me off even more. They issued a recall in China but not any other country?

Are they going to try and say the problem is isolated to China? They released a damn SIB about the issue and it clearly impacts all N55s.

Hopefully this recall propagates to other countries.

I'm guessing the reason is that China has more strict laws about this kind of thing.

If they issue a recall in China and no other country, what does that tell us about BMW's level of give-a-fuck about their customers?

Please post the customer service fax number for anyone who may be wondering.

I am going to write them another letter. I never got a reply to my first one. What address are you guys mailing these to for BMWNA?

I will include comments about the recall in China and how that actually makes BMW look worse than if they were to just pretend it's not an issue.

The recall in China PROVES that they know it is a serious problem. Meanwhile, they have our service reps over in the states telling us that it's no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #131
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
You can also FAX your letter to Customer Service Dept if that is easier for you. That is what I did and I got a response 2 days later.
They also have an email link, I just emailed it to them. I also mentioned the recall in China, so maybe that is why they escalated my letter?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #132
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
They also have an email link, I just emailed it to them. I also mentioned the recall in China, so maybe that is why they escalated my letter?
Bmwna is actually kind of near where I live. Maybe I should go there and complain lol
Appreciate 0