F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > FSC Patching, Risks?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

FSC Patching, Risks?

Hi all,

I'm evaluating options to enable CarPlay and to update the Nav maps. I have a NBT2 EVO unit where FSC generator does not work.

The solution I have found is you pay for patched FSC files for your VIN, and then you get a Windows app so that you can load them on the NBT unit via ENET. In the instructions, it states to ensure you restore the backup and go back to factory defaults for any Dealer visits.

I'm trying to understand that last sentence more... what are the risks with FSC patching?

One scenario I am thinking of is that I update the maps, and then end up selling the car to someone who may not be an enthusiast or willing to load/unload FSC when going to the dealer, which is completely understandable. What happens to them? My understanding is that if the original FSC is restored then you lose all Nav function as iDrive will want the activation code for the newer map that loaded.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

In my opinion there are no risks.
Also i think there's no need to restore the backup.
I would just be careful with some noticeable codings.
But the CarPlay and the patched FSC no dealer will notice.
If the buyer of your car wants to update the navigation map, the FSC must also be loaded into the headunit.
This is the current procedure for the NBTEvo2.
I upgraded Evo ID4 to Evo2 ID6 with FemtoEvo.
Appreciate 0