ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Well we now know this 3300 lbs hype was/is BS.
A page from BMW mag/ Spring-Summer

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #112
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
These particular results assume equal drivetrain losses between the cars. Although this technically isn't true, it is obvious from prior real world performance numbers (E9X M3, F10 M5, etc.), that there are solid performance gains despite some additional losses for the mechatronics. If you think about how much power is required to move a clutch and move a syncro it surely isn't much power, regardless of being moved by a human or by hydraulics. Yes the M-DCT system moves those parts very fast but still, very little power is required. Thus I believe the losses are only insignificantly higher in the M-DCT.
I definitely agree that DCT is better and more consistent at launching from a dig, but it looks like once moving, at least for the E9x chassis, DCT and MT with similar options / mods seem relatively equal. I can only attribute this to the 3 pedal car putting more power to the ground (if there's something else I'm missing I'd be glad to be enlightened), and of course having a competent MT shifter is vital. I'm curious if the video below could be a representation for the F8x chassis as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #113
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKimiGo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
Interesting how the car reacts to heat soak. Losing around 30whp 30wtq. Did the boost drop or just timing?
That's something that has caught my eye with these dyno runs. I'm guessing timing is being adjusted. Unfortunately this is something that plagues turbocharged vehicles. Doesn't make a difference for a street car but will have an affect when at a road course in moderate to high temps.

Given the fact that I always take dyno results with a grain of salt, I must admit that I'm impressed with the numbers this thing is putting down on 91 pump. I wonder what 93 will make or e85 for the brave ones who go that route.
Can't do E85 without full ECU control to adjust fueling and that isn't happening any time soon if ever . Just basic piggybacks for now and hopefully some with CAN control in the future . Even the JB4 with CAN control on the N54 needs an ECU flash to do E85 .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #114
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I definitely agree that DCT is better and more consistent at launching from a dig, but it looks like once moving, at least for the E9x chassis, DCT and MT with similar options / mods seem relatively equal. I can only attribute this to the 3 pedal car putting more power to the ground (if there's something else I'm missing I'd be glad to be enlightened), and of course having a competent MT shifter is vital. I'm curious if the video below could be a representation for the F8x chassis as well.

Also pretty much says that all the guys who got the ZCP pretty much wasted their money.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #115
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
The badge inside the instrument cluster is so cheesy, cant believe bmw does that
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #116
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
The badge inside the dash is so cheesy, cant believe bmw does that
Why? It just replaced the static/imprinted ///M logo found in other ///M cars. The only digital ///M logo that remains visible while driving is the smaller one located under the tach. The larger one displays at start up (..as does the ///M splash screen on the iDrive).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #117
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
The badge inside the dash is so cheesy, cant believe bmw does that
Why? It just replaced the static/imprinted ///M logo found in other ///M cars.
Every m car has a cheesy M badge inside the instrument cluster. Big and chrome like this? Pretty lame
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #118
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Every m car has a cheesy M badge inside the dash? Big and chrome like this? Pretty lame
Big and chrome? What are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #119
GoKimiGo!
Private
Rep
Drives: Safety Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Can't do E85 without full ECU control to adjust fueling and that isn't happening any time soon if ever . Just basic piggybacks for now and hopefully some with CAN control in the future . Even the JB4 with CAN control on the N54 needs an ECU flash to do E85 .
I'm aware of what'd be involved, but I have a feeling it won't take very long. The tuner community is very persistent.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #120
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Coupla points here. First (and on direct point), the power you need to shift isn't the direct issue. The power you need to drive an oil pump to xx psi is what you need to look at. One might assume the oil pressure will be fairly high, since speed is of the essence for the shift. Probably still not a ton of power, but...

Second, in your post showing comparison numbers between the stick and DCT, you used three tenths of a second for shift speeds. Way back when, we looked at shift speeds with an accelerometer, and deduced that two tenths was the actual shift speed, across a couple of speed-crazed drivers (with me being one). Best shifts were in the .18 -.19 second range, but two tenths seemed close enough.

Last, does your software allow for powershifting?

If so, it would be interesting to compare a two-tenths, powershifted MT against a 55-pound heavier (according to BMW) DCT. Not trying to prove anything here (DCT will still be quicker), but just curious.
A good bracketing study to explore for sure.

I don't believe CarTest does allow power shifting. Either way there are no options other than shift time AND engagement time. Also, I do believe that 0.3 second shifts are much more realistic for a moderately adept MT operator.

So if we adjust the total of shift time + engagement time down to 0.2 seconds, and make the MT car only 55 lb lighter, along with about 1% less loss (specifically 5 hp less at redline in 3rd gear) it becomes a near total performance wash. The MT car traps a hair faster but crosses a hair later (pretty well total equity for all practical purposes). Because the sims also show equality on 0-60 but the MT about 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 mph, and because these are inconsistent with quoted BMW figures (including standing 1 km), it tells me the modeling assumptions are not correct, too much loss difference or too short of shift times or both. Well either that or simply deny that the BMW figures are real (or perhaps only real for largely unskilled drivers). Also see comments below on a wide range of measured results for the E9X M3.

| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 06-28-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #121
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
One video does not offer any firm conclusions. Way too many variables not held equal. How many contests are there for closely comparable cars where about half of the videos show car A as the winner and half car B? The primary variable here are total weight the other driver skill. Look at the E9X performance "database", you will see the trend that the M-DCT cars are faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #122
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I don't know if mineral white is worth the extra $550. I kind of like how much whiter Alpine white is.

Is it really worth it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #123
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I don't know if mineral white is worth the extra $550. I kind of like how much whiter Alpine white is.

Is it really worth it?
Subjective of course, but the opinions seems to go like this:

Mineral White:
1.) MW makes the lines easier to see
2.) MW is much "deeper"
3.) MW is more special and looks more expensive

Alpine White:
1.) AW makes the lines easier to see
2.) AW is more "pure"
3.) AW looks more sporty

After going to a dealership and looking at both on an M3/4 and then comparing to MW on a 43x convertible ... I concluded that AW is more to my taste.

I think if I wanted a more 'deeper' and special light color I'd go moonstone
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #124
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Such nice cars! I'm JEALOUS!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #125
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
Wow absolutely crazy, I love how bmw underrates their engines. It's almost as if you are always getting more than you paid for haha.
Well, EAS uses an ego-boosting dyno, as they always seem to read quite high compared to pretty much everyone else. Even with 20-30whp less, though, still very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #126
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
A good bracketing study to explore for sure.

I don't believe CarTest does allow power shifting. Either way there are no options other than shift time AND engagement time. Also, I do believe that 0.3 second shifts are much more realistic for a moderately adept MT operator.

So if we adjust the total of shift time + engagement time down to 0.2 seconds, and make the MT car only 55 lb lighter, along with about 1% less loss (specifically 5 hp less at redline in 3rd gear) it becomes a near total performance wash. The MT car traps a hair faster but crosses a hair later (pretty well total equity for all practical purposes). Because the sims also show equality on 0-60 but the MT about 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 mph, and because these are inconsistent with quoted BMW figures (including standing 1 km), it tells me the modeling assumptions are not correct, too much loss difference or too short of shift times or both. Well either that or simply deny that the BMW figures are real (or perhaps only real for largely unskilled drivers). Also see comments below on a wide range of measured results for the E9X M3.

I am not surprised if the numbers between DCT and 6MT are quite close on the F8X. I have been speculating for some time that the DCT would not provide as much benefit on the F8X. The DCT more likely has an edge from launch (more consistency) due to the electronics better managing traction (which Cartest can probably not simulate). The Auto Motor & Sport 6MT and Sport Auto DCT acceleration times are pretty evenly matched.

Try doing it again with zero shift times for DCT. It might improve the simulation results.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-28-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #127
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Subjective of course, but the opinions seems to go like this:

Mineral White:
1.) MW makes the lines easier to see
2.) MW is much "deeper"
3.) MW is more special and looks more expensive

Alpine White:
1.) AW makes the lines easier to see
2.) AW is more "pure"
3.) AW looks more sporty

After going to a dealership and looking at both on an M3/4 and then comparing to MW on a 43x convertible ... I concluded that AW is more to my taste.

I think if I wanted a more 'deeper' and special light color I'd go moonstone
I'm a huge fan of Alpine White, but when time comes for me to get one of these, I'm going Tanzanite or another dark blue; there are some lines I don't want to see, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #128
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
a 55-pound heavier (according to BMW) DCT.
I still think the F8X DCT is more likely 89lb (40kg) heavier than the 6MT as is published in the official BMW press release. The DCT was 45lb heavier on the E9X, they made the 6MT 26lb lighter on the F8X and they took a beefier DCT from the F1X for the F8X (18lb). I however still wonder why it shows only a 55lb heavier curb weight on the US website.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-28-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #129
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
Wow absolutely crazy, I love how bmw underrates their engines. It's almost as if you are always getting more than you paid for haha.
Well, EAS uses an ego-boosting dyno, as they always seem to read quite high compared to pretty much everyone else. Even with 20-30whp less, though, still very impressive.
So how do you explain BMS' nearly identical numbers on a separate dyno?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #130
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Mineral White >> Alpine White. Look at the difference in depth and luster in those pics.
I find AW the nicet color. Don't like the shifts in coloy because of the metalic.

Great pics nonetheless.

Which had me laughing out loud though, the brand name of the spacers. What's up with everyone wanting a German name?

Macht Schnell may sound cool for English people, but when you know it's German for "Makes fast", it looks like a joke.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #131
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

In regards to 6MT vs DCT, this post came from another thread reviewing a 6MT car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Again , I noticed no degradation in performance against the DCT down the long back straightaway at SPA and that included 3 shifts. The power was instantly there after a shift with no perceptible pause. In fact when you shift fast it actually thumps the diff. The DCTs never pulled me during or immediately following a shift. Every time I was beside one coming out of the hairpins I would slowly and consistently pull away down the straight. YMMV but I had no issues with post shift power disruption.
Link to thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003540

Quote:
One video does not offer any firm conclusions. Way too many variables not held equal. How many contests are there for closely comparable cars where about half of the videos show car A as the winner and half car B? The primary variable here are total weight the other driver skill. Look at the E9X performance "database", you will see the trend that the M-DCT cars are faster.
I definitely agree one video is not conclusive at all, and on the street with random encounters the DCT will win 99% of the time, as MT drivers competent enough to run with a DCT car are very few.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #132
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not surprised if the numbers between DCT and 6MT are quite close on the F8X. I have been speculating for some time that the DCT would not provide as much benefit on the F8X. The DCT more likely has an edge from launch (more consistency) due to the electronics better managing traction (which Cartest can probably not simulate). The Auto Motor & Sport 6MT and Sport Auto DCT acceleration times are pretty evenly matched.

Try doing it again with zero shift times for DCT. It might improve the simulation results.
The benefit is from the time savings from shifting, that's it. There is nothing car, engine, etc. specific about the benefit.

A DCT shift time is clearly not zero. I typically use between 30-50 ms which according to some testing I did long ago (not entirely conclusive) along with various claims from manfacturers, seems very reasonable. Just another approximation anyway since it seems from feel that shift times vary not only by Drivelogic mode but by throttle position, simiarly in one mode and at WOT the shift times even vary from gear to gear. That has to do with the rpm drop getting smaller as the gears go up.
Appreciate 0