R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #155
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
But again, the performance advantage is independent of anything about the car or engine, it is only about the shift being faster.
I do think that how much advantage the DCT provides is powertrain dependent. Tighter ratios on an engine such as the S65 can allow it to produce more average power over an acceleration run. On a 6MT, the benefit of the tighter ratios can be negated by the additional time needed to execute the shift; not the case with DCT.

Quote:
My actual test results were not very conclusive, despite some care in the choice of the accelerometer and DAQ. There was some evidence in that data arguing for a truly zero shift time when it comes to simulation (in the S modes). There was also evidence for a drop in acceleration qualitatively like a MT shift.

Using 50 ms seems like a conservative approach (i.e. not to incredibly pro M-DCT, which I am). Now that being said the performance improvements in times to speed will only change by the difference in those shift times 50 ms to 0, i.e. 0.05 seconds which is insignificant.
Three 0.05s shifts is worth 0.15s to 100mph. Zero shift times for the DCT would put it on par with the 6MT to 100mph in this simulation.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-30-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #156
cws
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 DCT ZCP

I don't think you can be underwhelmed by the car. However, the reviews I've read have said the DCT, adaptive and the ceramics are a must. You can build a $88K+ M3 when you fully option the car.

When you add all the little pieces to make the car more track specific you could easily be close to $95-$100K.

I don't see racing up 1500+ miles a month on this car being a good call for a "daily driver." Tracking the car will be a blast but are those Michelins going to last? Could be a $1500 weekend with brakes and tires.

You'll wish you bought this car when the next M3 is a turbo 4 cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #157
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

I don't see racing up 1500+ miles a month on this car being a good call for a "daily driver."
Why not? It's a mass produced car with loads of creature comforts meant to be driven daily. It isn't a no-compromise vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #158
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I don't think you can be underwhelmed by the car. However, the reviews I've read have said the DCT, adaptive and the ceramics are a must. You can build a $88K+ M3 when you fully option the car.

When you add all the little pieces to make the car more track specific you could easily be close to $95-$100K.

I don't see racing up 1500+ miles a month on this car being a good call for a "daily driver." Tracking the car will be a blast but are those Michelins going to last? Could be a $1500 weekend with brakes and tires.

Why do you need CCBs?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #159
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullCheck View Post
Why do you need CCBs?
He's just regurgitating info. CCB's are probably the most useless/unnecessarily option available for this car for 99% of its buyers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #160
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
He's badlyjust regurgitating info. CCB's are probably the most useless/unnecessarily option available for this car for 99% of its buyers.
Fixed that for you. He said you can make the car $95-100k trying to make it track-specific. (based upon the context, I don't think he meant "with aftermarket parts")

Seems like most reviewers to date didn't even get a chance to review the MT, and they are saying DCT is the way to go because it's a great transmission - not because the MT isn't.

Almost every reviewed car has CCBs. By all accounts, great brakes that are severely overpriced. How has every prior M3 been a trackable vehicle with "only" the stock steel brakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #161
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Very cool comparison. Thanks for sharing all your hard work!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #162
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Fixed that for you. He said you can make the car $95-100k trying to make it track-specific. (based upon the context, I don't think he meant "with aftermarket parts")

Seems like most reviewers to date didn't even get a chance to review the MT, and they are saying DCT is the way to go because it's a great transmission - not because the MT isn't.

Almost every reviewed car has CCBs. By all accounts, great brakes that are severely overpriced. How has every prior M3 been a trackable vehicle with "only" the stock steel brakes?

Good point(s)! Thanks for articulating that. My fingers were tired. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #163
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I do think that how much advantage the DCT provides is powertrain dependent. Tighter ratios on an engine such as the S65 can allow it to produce more average power over an acceleration run. On a 6MT, the benefit of the tighter ratios can be negated by the additional time needed to execute the shift; not the case with DCT.
It still sounds like you are confounding the issues. One needs to separate ratios vs. shift times and those effects are entirely separate. The engines character (i.e. shape of power/torque curves) is also entirely independent of shift time advantages.

Quote:
Three 0.05s shifts is worth 0.15s to 100mph. Zero shift times for the DCT would put it on par with the 6MT to 100mph in this simulation.
True indeed but the big picture is more nuanced...

Time to speed and time to distance advantages from short shift times do not both follow the same pattern. Quicker shift times benefit time to speed much more cumulatively and earlier in the entire performance speed range. The savings in shift times do not add up linearly in time to distance, which is more important in an actual race (who is ahead). Thus 1/4 mi times for identical vehicles with differing shift times do not differ by shift time savings*number of shifts. Time to speeds will differ by this prediction. The reason for is due to basic math, acceleration profiles are very lumpy/complex, take the integral to get to velocity and the curves are smoothed, another integral and more smoothing. Acceleration dips significantly during a slow MT shift, velocity less so and distance even less.

That being said, overall effects are basically cumulative across the full spectrum of speeds. Devil is in the details...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #164
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
It still sounds like you are confounding the issues. One needs to separate ratios vs. shift times and those effects are entirely separate. The engines character (i.e. shape of power/torque curves) is also entirely independent of shift time advantages.
I am not confounding anything. The faster shift times of DCT are a benefit by themselves. But, the faster shift times of DCT can also allow the use of tighter ratios without the compromise seen on a MT. So they are not entirely separate.

Quote:
True indeed but the big picture is more nuanced...

Time to speed and time to distance advantages from short shift times do not both follow the same pattern. Quicker shift times benefit time to speed much more cumulatively and earlier in the entire performance speed range. The savings in shift times do not add up linearly in time to distance, which is more important in an actual race (who is ahead). Thus 1/4 mi times for identical vehicles with differing shift times do not differ by shift time savings*number of shifts. Time to speeds will differ by this prediction. The reason for is due to basic math, acceleration profiles are very lumpy/complex, take the integral to get to velocity and the curves are smoothed, another integral and more smoothing. Acceleration dips significantly during a slow MT shift, velocity less so and distance even less.

That being said, overall effects are basically cumulative across the full spectrum of speeds. Devil is in the details...
Yes, this was fully understood . My point was focused on the 0-100mph number.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-30-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #165
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:

Uh the vast majority of reviews have praised the CCB's but mentioned that they are unnecessary unless you plan on tracking your car more than once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #166
cws
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 DCT ZCP

CCBs are still an upgrade and better than steel discs. The Corvette ZRI came with Brembo CCBs standard BTW. If you don't want $8k+ brakes fine but if you want the best brakes possible than you buy the CCBs. I had PCCBs on my 2008 Porsche GT3 and they were amazing. Why would you leave off perhaps one of the best performance options you can have with the M3/M4? The car is blistering fast why would you not upgrade the brakes? Going fast is easy, stopping quickly and never wondering if you have brakes going 150+ mph is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #167
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not confounding anything. The faster shift times of DCT are a benefit by themselves. But, the faster shift times of DCT can also allow the use of tighter ratios without the compromise seen on a MT. So they are not entirely separate.
It still sounds like so to me.

Regardless of the presence of an overdrive gear like the current M-DCT has, one still needs to cover a give gear spread to match the cars fundamentals, power and drag primarily. A closer ratio across all gears is not not possible. Move one gear a bit closer and the next is further without another change, across the gears.

Perhaps you mean the situation in mind of the benefits of an additional gear? If the additional gear is not used for an over drive type gear then this truly allows tighter spacing across all of the gears with no penalty that would normally be present from the time to shift the MT.

In this regards DCT can leverage extra gears by not have the normal penalty of a higher quantity of slower shift times as compared to a MT with the same number of gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #168
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CCBs are still an upgrade and better than steel discs . The Corvette ZRI came with Brembo CCBs standard BTW. If you don't want $8k+ brakes fine but if you want the best brakes possible than you buy the CCBs. I had PCCBs on my 2008 Porsche GT3 and they were amazing. Why would you leave off perhaps one of the best performance options you can have with the M3/M4? The car is blistering fast why would you not upgrade the brakes? Going fast is easy, stopping quickly and never wondering if you have brakes going 150+ mph is a good thing.
This has been beat to death in a variety of prior threads. There has been no concrete benefit shown for the CSiC system in the new Ms and thus your statements above I put in bold are pure speculation.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #169
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
To each their own. I have seen both in the metal too, side by side, and it was a clear cut choice.

Damn, you probably like Coke over Pepsi don't you?
I'd have to side on the Coke side of this argument, too. Mineral white is too soft. So soft, it should come with a pack of M-branded tampons that fit conveniently in your purse.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #170
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
To each their own. I have seen both in the metal too, side by side, and it was a clear cut choice.

Damn, you probably like Coke over Pepsi don't you?
I'd have to side on the Coke side of this argument, too. Mineral white is too soft. So soft, it should come with a pack of M-branded tampons that fit conveniently in your purse.
That's Murse to you pal. Get it right at least.

Funny, I always thought that all the Alpine White cars should have the BMW Roundel replaced by a Maytag emblem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #171
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Had a chance to pull the Lithium battery from a F82 M4 over the weekend, quite a bit of weight was shaved off the previous AGM version:

Part: 61.21.9.312.759
Price: Not yet listed in system
Specs: 12V 69Ah 770A/860CCA

Lithium

Original

30lbs shed just from the battery alone.

System uses a different IBS connector and vent tube than the E9X M3, doubt a swap would be suitable for previous M3 models. However, the footprint is the same, keeping AGM/Lead Acid batteries an open possibility for budget-conscious as lithium type batteries can be $$.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 06-30-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #172
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Nice! Can you overlay stock E9X M3 dyno for comparison?
Sure thing, here's the F80 dyno from last week vs E92 M3 (both DCT):

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #173
Buddy Revell
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4, 991 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

That's crazy for two engines that are rated only 11hp apart from the factory!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #174
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

^ WOW, thanks for posting!

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #175
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Hate to re-quote images, but holy freaking delta batman, the difference between the torque curves especially is insane
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #176
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
Hate to re-quote images, but holy freaking delta batman, the difference between the torque curves especially is insane
Comparing the S55 to the S65 torque curve is like comparing Kate Upton to Paris Hilton.

Cheers.