E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Moving to Pontiac, MI looking for some advice

01-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
TechE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Moving to Pontiac, MI looking for some advice

Hi guys, I'm about a week away from moving to Michigan from Cali and I'm bringing along my e92. I have a couple of questions regarding how it really is like over there and driving experiences with the snow since I been pretty much a SoCal guy.

1) What shop would you guys recommend for maintenance in the Pontiac area, I see Steve's European Auto as well rated in google maps but would like other opinions as well. I'm about 8k from hitting 60k and would like to do all the recommended maintenance and to have a good relationship with my mechanic.

2) How is driving in snow? I currently have and been using the OEM turanza's all season tires on my 17s. Im gonna be mostly commuting about 10 miles total per day in Pontiac. Would i still require snow tires?

3) Any other advice you guys can give me to prepare for the winter in Michigan and car maintenance would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
AlexMilwaukee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Saddle Brown 335i E92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
you will DEFINITELY need to purchase good snow tires. No ifs ands or buts about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

I do most of the maintenance myself so I can't comment on Steve's European Auto.

I highly recommend getting snow tires. Better to be safe than sorry. I think it's OK if you're driving to Pontiac for work but not an area I'd live in. It's pretty rough. Only other suggestion is don't drive like an idiot in the snow. Take your time and be mindful of others around you. You'll be fine!
      01-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I run continental dws all seasons in the winter with no issues, but I prefer an awd vehicle. Just find an empty parking lot after a couple fresh inches of snow and get used to it.

Can't help you on a shop in Pontiac, but I have my Morgan serviced at Auto Europe in Birmingham. They have always done a superb job. Birmingham is also a rather nice area with very nice, up kept houses and is just a 9 miles down Woodward from Pontiac.

Last edited by Back in a Subie; 01-15-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
I run continental dws all seasons in the winter with no issues, but I prefer an awd vehicle. Just find an empty parking lot after a couple fresh inches of snow and get used to it.

Can't help you on a shop in Pontiac, but I have my Morgan serviced at Auto Europe in Birmingham. They have always done a superb job. Birmingham is also a rather nice area with very nice, up kept houses and is just a 9 miles down Woodward from Pontiac.
+1 on the conti DWS tires. buddy of mine out in CT has an E39 528i and runs them all year. loves the DWS in the winter. and i strongly agree that you find an empty parking lot to practice. i also recommend you learn how to control a power slide in the snow so you don't freak if you start to lose the rear end during regular driving.
      01-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Definitely get snow tires for winter months especially if you are not used to driving in winter conditions. You'll need them mid-December through end of March.

Auto Europe is good and so is Motorwerks in Commerce. Erhard BMW in Bloomfield Hills is also good for dealer work.

Welcome to Michigan!
      01-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
SP3333D
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
I run DWS's in the winter and Pilot Sport A/S3's the rest of the year. Definitely want to consider tire options, especially for a RWD car.

I also can't speak to the quality of Steve's, I have however used them to price shop and beat up the dealers. I always use Grand Blanc BMW for my work, but Steve's is usually one of the best priced when i call around.

If you are truly moving to pontiac, I would also invest in a firearm if you dont have one already.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
All the other locals pretty much said it. Pontiac isn't the safest place.
I'm hoping most of the heavy snow is gone and all you'll experience is some very light snow. Being RWD, I wouldn't even chance A/S. Definitely get some winters for the rest of the season.

Michigan isn't so bad after Winter, but damn, you will miss Cali.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
TechE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for all the responses. I haven't exactly heard the best things about Pontiac but getting a firearm has definitely gotten me a bit worried. As for the auto shop, I will look around some more and see how that goes since i have about 6-7 months before my next oil change and service. As for the snow tires, I wasn't sure about it because I didn't know how often it would snow there. Guess I got to pick up some tires next week. I hope that with the snow tires I can still enjoy the drive as I usually look for any reason to take the car for a spin. Thanks again guys. I'm gonna miss cali for sure with the sunshine and all year round good weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
You mentioned Steve's Auto, which is a solid choice. There's a few other Indy's around the area. I'll probably just post up a list and you can pick and choose or somebody can chime in.

The snow was actually bad this year. That damn vortex. Snows won't be as responsive as those summers you probably have on, but will be better than A/S's in ~45F on RWD.

LIST:

Steve's Auto
Motorwerks
KaRl Heinz
Automotive Techniques
Auto Europe
German Motorwerks
Curt's Service

I'm sure anybody can add more or chime in on one of those.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
Winter will make you appreciate the warm weather more, when it comes around. Some Michigan winters are kinda tame, a couple years ago it snowed like 5 times here and this is why I stick with all seasons; a warm winter will eat your expensive snow tires. This year we have been dumped on, I spent 7.5 days with no electricity over Christmas and new years because of that asshole mother nature. She also creates some rather massive pot holes, all over the place, and the remedy is some tar and stones, which can make quite a mess.

I deal with Brian at Auto Europe as he is their Morgan guy, but Tom has also been very helpful in the past.

Once you get here you can take a quick CCW class so that you can carry your pistol legally, pretty much anywhere.

Welcome to Michigan, indeed!
      01-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328XI

Pontiac roads are rough in the winter, usually worse than most around here. Pontiac does have some nicer/safer areas, hopefully you live in one of those
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Just look us up when you get here, plenty of inviting people to make you feel right at home.

That said, I'm disappointed that we're back to snow today when we had rain earlier in the week...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
SP3333D
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Just look us up when you get here, plenty of inviting people to make you feel right at home.

That said, I'm disappointed that we're back to snow today when we had rain earlier in the week...

+1 on all of that!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Pontiac isn't scary. It clearly isn't Royal Oak or anything, but I would look to getting a garage, if you don't have one already.
And, +999 to snow tires.
      01-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335is 6MT, 15 GTI 6MT

You have a pristine salt free car, don't wait and see what happens to it out here.

I suggest my plan

Second cars are fun and with the insurance break for multiple vehicles not much more to add a reasonable second car. Then far cheaper in the winter when she's put away.

Apart from that welcome, you will probably miss many things about Cali, but everyone here is quite welcoming, courteous, and apart from this current weather it's really actually beautiful here. The lack of driving roads nearby can drive me nuts, but oh well.

What work are you doing? Is Pontiac just the location of your new job?
      01-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #17
charrigan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fiat 500e, Audi Q5, 328d(soon)

Steve's European and motorwerks are hands down the best out there. I have dealt with both and they have fair prices and do quality work.

I do most of my own maintenance but I have multiple friends and family go to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
TechE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just found a place in Bloomfield and find it alright guys. I have been busy getting my place together and I'm pretty happy with a carport but not sure if it will prevent ice on my car. My car hasn't been shipped in yet. I'm actually a 3rd year medical student doing rotations at a hospital in St Joseph mercy hospital of Oakland. Looking to be here for at least a year and a half. So far, the weather has been pretty good to me with it around the 20s. Definitely switching tires when the car gets here. I'm kind of liking the continental dws from reviews that I have been reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoguy View Post
Just found a place in Bloomfield and find it alright guys. I have been busy getting my place together and I'm pretty happy with a carport but not sure if it will prevent ice on my car. My car hasn't been shipped in yet. I'm actually a 3rd year medical student doing rotations at a hospital in St Joseph mercy hospital of Oakland. Looking to be here for at least a year and a half. So far, the weather has been pretty good to me with it around the 20s. Definitely switching tires when the car gets here. I'm kind of liking the continental dws from reviews that I have been reading.
Cool. I just got back from visiting LA and loved the 80deg F weather. Had a bbq on Sunday too, haha.

Carport is definitely enough for now. Ideal to have a garage but I had an apartment for about five years with a carport and it was more than sufficient.
      01-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh, sweet. I have a few friends that work there.
Bloomfield is a nice place to live.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
SP3333D
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
lol, Bloomfield is a totally different world from Pontiac. Much nicer area.

I recently switched to DWS's from Michelin A/S 3's. They are excellent tires, almost certainly saved my hide from being in a pileup this morning on the ice(8 cars in front of me and several more behind me as I darted out of the middle through oncoming traffic) and have been all around great in the snow!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #22
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Interesting, there will be a few of us up there 2/27 for a lecture so you'll have to let us know if you're working and maybe we could all get together in the afternoon. Off the top of my head e90 335i, Dinan 135i, f30 328x, probably an e46 M3 and maybe an e92.
Appreciate 0