F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > iDrive 8.5 and iDrive 9 Announcement at CES 2023
Extreme Powerhouse

01-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #133
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumlurker View Post
The screens just get bigger and bigger
At this rate soon the whole windshield will be obstructed by the screen… then they will use a front camera to project the front view on to the screen lol…

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #134
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
At this rate soon the whole windshield will be obstructed by the screen… then they will use a front camera to project the front view on to the screen lol…
They were doing that in the preview- virtual reality. META in a BMW
Appreciate 1
odiesback216.50
      01-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #135
Rastayang
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
How do you think I feel about my '22 X7 and my '23 X5, both of which have iDrive 7.

Oh I feel you! We were actually looking at x5’s originally and it was the lack of updating ‘23 model that made me move on to the x7. I guess it’s unavoidable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #136
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I'm assuming not. It sounds like the iD8.5 is a maybe for the UKL cars, but 9 will be based on Android - if so, a fundamental change like that I don't think would be OTA.

I think it's interesting in general that they've went from a Linux-based system to an Android-based one between architectures, that's basically two full-fledged teams working on two separate but basically identical systems, seems kinda redundant. It might be a mid-step now and soon no more linux devs?
Yep, bubble cost during the transition and then the Linux devs go bye bye or pick up Android skills.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:45 AM   #137
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Android based makes it easier to develop on. From a programming pov, Linux is far more powerful, but much more difficult to develop on. It’s much more in house development, whereas Android gives them SDKs and various of other third party tools to work with.

It is likely a bet towards standardization and efficiency of developing. Also apps that work on android systems can easily work on BMWs with little to no effort. Time is money, and BMW is banking on Android doing the heavy lifting for development and features, not their own programmers anymore. Likely where all the car industry is going. Also it runs on slower, more efficient hardware better, ARM architecture vs x86.

Looks like idrive 9 is the death of the idrive controller. Can’t say that impresses me, even as I defend the touch screen climate menu of my car.

Idrive 8.5 is likely not that much different from idrive 8 SP21 from the ix, 7 series, and 2AT. Maybe a few more small features.

Don’t worry folks, idrive 7 and 8 aren’t obsolete yet. This is just really a matter of planning for the future, not the present.The biggest enticing changes will come long term 5+ years from now.
Spot on and Android overall makes more sense and to your point it will be a journey vs an overnight sensation. It will mean less and less new features hit iD7 and iD8 to a degree. Sort of like the last big release with all features going to iD8 and a smaller subset to iD7.

Given my current release of iD7 is rock solid I'm not even doing the last upgrade. BMW doesn't announce it as a feature when they do ECU tuning as part of the OTA. They neutered the 8-series exhaust back in 2020 so I'm not taking any chances they do more.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 12:52 PM   #138
SetAlias
What doesn't kill you gives you XP
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I have an iPhone and use WhatsApp extensively. I don't understand this iMessage lock-in you're referring to?
Apple's iMessage is the only non-cross-platform messaging service. Every other messaging service can be downloaded for either apple or android, etc
It makes business sense for Apple, their CEO even commented on the decision not to make an android app that it would allow families to purchase other devices for their kids other than iPhones and still take advantage of iMessage group chat... but it's a huge disservice to consumers.

When a non-iphone user joins a group chat with iphone users it does the green bubble thing, changes messages to SMS and MMS instead of data, removes the ability for people to join and leave the group. Etc. When iphone and Android try to text each other I'm sure you're aware of the challenges with emojis and pictures. It downgrades video and image quality to give iphone users the perception that androids are low tech, when it's actually quite the opposite and android has on average been five years ahead of apple... and Samsung still makes their screens.

Most of the docs at my wife's hospital use iphone but she uses android, there's terrible cell reception there as is standard in hospitals, but they have wifi of course. Since iphone forces SMS and MMS to android and won't work through data, she often can't communicate with iMessage users. It's a serious problem for consumers, a messaging services only job is to allow messaging between people, regardless of what phone you use, but apple uses iMessage to hold customers hostage in the ecosystem, and people applaud them for it.

It's a subject I'm passionate about because I find it incredibly annoying, and it impacts my communication with friends and colleagues. I almost bought an iPhone a few months ago because of it, but they're still using that proprietary lightning jack nonsense (they charge royalties to companies making accessories) and will only switch to USB-C soon because of the laws forcing standardization. Every review I watched and read put the S22 ultra over the best iphone, so I just couldn't bring myself to do it for a simple messaging app.

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/apple...in-abomination
      01-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #139
SetAlias
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My mistake, Japan and US, Android dominates everywhere else; and it's actually 87% android not 72

https://www.pcmag.com/news/ios-more-...hina-and-india
Attached Images

01-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #140
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetAlias View Post
My mistake, Japan and US, Android dominates everywhere else; and it's actually 87% android not 72
You must be so proud of this sound defeat of Apple. Where do I send your prize?
      01-06-2023, 06:28 PM   #141
SetAlias
Rep

Quote:
You must be so proud of this sound defeat of Apple. Where do I send your prize?
I only accept payment in form of Chinese delivery, will dm meet the driver address. Orange chicken and hot and sour please.
      01-06-2023, 07:14 PM   #142
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Other than the larger screen, I fail to see how iDrive 8 is better than 7. Again, have all 3. 8 has less features than 7 but still lags at times. FWIW I’m on 07/2022 with 7 and 11/2022 with 8. OTOH, both are better than 6 which has a seizure when driving through the urban areas of Dallas. It cannot render those 3D buildings as quick as it should.
Much better graphics, much faster, more features.
Better in every way, basically.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 10:29 PM   #143
SetAlias
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Except looks imo. Feels right in an X but not a sports car for me
      01-07-2023, 12:34 AM   #144
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Competion Coupe

Garage List
This will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I thought Apple was also developing something similar to Android Automotive, not just the expanded version of CarPlay 2023.

I am an iOS user, but I prefer using MBUX in my Mercedes over CarPlay. In my BMW, I prefer CarPlay over iDrive 7.

I doubt it would kill CarPlay completely but who knows. I’m ignorant on the matter. Will need to research more.

For now, I’m just happy to have two cars that are ICE. One with an inline 6 and the other with a V8.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 10:25 AM   #145
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I’ll give you better graphics, but it’s not faster or more full featured. For example, they took away setting at what temp the heated steering wheel and seats go on in automated habits. You also can’t overlay next directions for your route on top of assisted driving view in the gauge cluster. I mean, how can you honestly say they gave us more feature with 8 compared to 7? It’s got a beautiful interface with gorgeous screens, but it’s not as good as 7 right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #146
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Android OS. My god what are they thinking, very insecure OS.
No CarPlay, no BMW for me, screw that.
I think your getting Android OS confused w Android Auto. You won't be able to root it, side load APKs. It will be locked down and what's so insecure about Android OS? It's like PC vs Apple, it's just more open where Apple locks you down to keep things safe. Don't be a bonehead and click on random links lol.

I have iD7 and it runs Android Auto and Carplay
Appreciate 2
s58545.50
      01-08-2023, 10:48 PM   #147
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Going out on a limb here but large computer screens obscuring vision and distracting drivers don’t belong in cars - better to put the drivers eyes on the road and use more traditional tactile controls. An integrated nav screen below the dash is fine but not a huge screen sticking up and obscuring the windshield. Touch screens are the worst for distraction!! Basics. Every day has multiple accidents on my short 15 mile commute. It’s the law to buckle up but it is legal to have a 15” TV sceeen up high in the drivers face. Regulation at its best.
Fwiw, someone posted a photo looking through the windshields of two M3s from the outside and the cowl over the instrument cluster of the iDrive 7 car obscured more of the windshield than the iDrive 8 screen.

And on a Tesla Model 3, the screen sits fairly low and since it’s not right in front of you and the dashboard is low, you have an amazing view of the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:12 AM   #148
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

What's the point of having a massive tablet screen with few buttons in my 23 M340i if we don't get updates to 8.5/9?

I thought the goal was to have it be upgradeable because it's not limited by physical buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:22 AM   #149
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetAlias View Post
Apple's iMessage is the only non-cross-platform messaging service. Every other messaging service can be downloaded for either apple or android, etc
It makes business sense for Apple, their CEO even commented on the decision not to make an android app that it would allow families to purchase other devices for their kids other than iPhones and still take advantage of iMessage group chat... but it's a huge disservice to consumers.

When a non-iphone user joins a group chat with iphone users it does the green bubble thing, changes messages to SMS and MMS instead of data, removes the ability for people to join and leave the group. Etc. When iphone and Android try to text each other I'm sure you're aware of the challenges with emojis and pictures. It downgrades video and image quality to give iphone users the perception that androids are low tech, when it's actually quite the opposite and android has on average been five years ahead of apple... and Samsung still makes their screens.

Most of the docs at my wife's hospital use iphone but she uses android, there's terrible cell reception there as is standard in hospitals, but they have wifi of course. Since iphone forces SMS and MMS to android and won't work through data, she often can't communicate with iMessage users. It's a serious problem for consumers, a messaging services only job is to allow messaging between people, regardless of what phone you use, but apple uses iMessage to hold customers hostage in the ecosystem, and people applaud them for it.

It's a subject I'm passionate about because I find it incredibly [...]
Apple builds a better mousetrap; then people complain their competitors are at a disadvantage? Cry me a river.
Appreciate 1
jcss812124.00
      01-09-2023, 12:49 PM   #150
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcss812 View Post
I think your getting Android OS confused w Android Auto. You won't be able to root it, side load APKs. It will be locked down and what's so insecure about Android OS? It's like PC vs Apple, it's just more open where Apple locks you down to keep things safe. Don't be a bonehead and click on random links lol.
What's so insecure about Android? Uh.. click on a few "random links" and educate yourself. It's a disaster and always has been.
      01-09-2023, 01:35 PM   #151
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What's so insecure about Android? Uh.. click on a few "random links" and educate yourself. It's a disaster and always has been.
I'm not going to argue with you about iOS vs Android and Mac vs Windows. It really comes down to what ecosystem you're in and what your preference is. To say apple never gets malware and it's safer is semantics lol. The market share of the world use Windows and Android so numbers are skewed. Apple is great and I use both OS but to say one is safer than the other makes you sound uneducated. It's about the user not the OS tbh. If someone wants to 'hack' something it'll get hacked.

Fyi I 'educated' myself and i don't see anything that's says one is more safe than the other.

Also most adware, malware, virus and etc are from users clicking on 'random links' unless you're just so important that someone is willing to hack your setup. They don't just magically appear, how else would it get it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff...h=3e29a42123f8

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...ks-get-viruses

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dwights...h=2632345e36da

https://mashable.com/article/mac-win...s-malwarebytes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #152
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Those hurt my eyes
Appreciate 1
jcss812124.00
      01-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #153
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Those hurt my eyes
>Dark mode

Thank me later
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:33 PM   #154
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
So what you’re telling me is my phone that shares with apple car play no shares with bmw which is android based so everything is compromised 🥳
Appreciate 0