E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 2BDE limp mode

03-29-2024, 05:31 PM   #1
sleeeper90
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

N55 2BDE limp mode

Hey guys, I was doing a pull in my car earlier today and mid 3rd gear pull I got a limp mode/ reduced power notification, the car ended up dying and would not restart. The only code that was present was 2bde Fuel pressure on enabling of injection' pressure too low. That's the first time I've seen that code come up, after trying to reset fuel adaptations and trying to start for a few minutes with no luck, the only real thing I did was let it sit there for a few minutes while my buddy showed up to tow and then it started back up and ran pretty much like normal. That's new to this car, its never just died and wouldn't start before. Now thinking back earlier this week I had one morning that it was bucking and hesitating pretty good a round 10-20% throttle with no real load but hasn't done anything like that since other than completley dying on me today.

Recently though this car has been in the process of being tuned by Wedge, is it possible that the new tunes are putting extra strain on the hpfp and causing it to cut out? When I was trying to start it back up on my mhd app the fuel pressure wasn't doing anything while I was cranking it over. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, had any similar issues with the code or hpfp problems? And is that code even directly linked to the hpfp, i don't want to just throw a pump in it if its not the issue. Also it does have a precision 2.5 bucketed pump, but I have not upgraded the pressure regulator, does anyone know if the in tank pressure regulator works with both systems or just the low pressure one in the tank. Let me know what you guys think, I don't have much to go off of other than that single code as of right now
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:14 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Do you have any logs to share? What type of fuel are you running, and what boost did the limp mode trigger on? Do you have the older n54 style hpfp or the newer piston style one?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:22 AM   #3
sleeeper90
Rep

I wasn't running a log when this happened, I have previous logs though that I can attach, now I'm starting to question my hpfp and regulator. It's on 91 octane and it was mid pull in third gear, I'd say only about 13-15 psi. And I'm not exactly sure what style pump I have, is there a way to easily identify it? Thinking back I'm not sure if it went into "limp" mode because the car completly shut off, but it did have the reduced power light along with the low fuel pressure code.

I've been trying to research the EKPM3, from what I've read they overheat easily and can shut off, after upgrading the lpfp, but Ive had that pump in my car for a few months now and hasnt had any issue so far but I pulled my seat cover and had the car idling for about 15 minutes and I would say that thing was unusually warm to the touch. Have you heard of issues with these before? I was wanting to try to replicate what it did and catch it in a log but I don't want to do any more damage/ overheat the epkm3 than I already have if that even is part of the problem.

Not sure if this would help but if got a startup/idle log from yesterday, few hours after the breakdown, and a log from last week.

https://datazap.me/u/sleeper90/log-1...28-29-30-31-32

https://datazap.me/u/sleeper90/50-2?...28-29-30-31-32
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

I was troubleshooting a similar issue with 2BDE code before I totaled my car not so long ago.

Never had it shutdown on me or throw a limp because of that though. All it would do would have long cranks on startup but then rail pressure was super healthy so I was doubting that it would be HPFP. I read up a bit and decided to change the fuel pressure regulator but it didn't fix anything.

Was there any other codes when it limped? It's odd that it didn't start for a few min but when you let it rest (or cool?) it then worked. Potential cause as you pointed might be overheating electronics? Would the LPFP install request higher current loads making the EKPM3 heat up quickly?
      04-03-2024, 11:18 AM   #5
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Other threads have experienced this and said a new HPFP was the solution. Your aftermarket one may not be syncing up perfectly? Not entirely sure. Good luck though and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:00 PM   #6
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper90 View Post
I wasn't running a log when this happened, I have previous logs though that I can attach, now I'm starting to question my hpfp and regulator. It's on 91 octane and it was mid pull in third gear, I'd say only about 13-15 psi. And I'm not exactly sure what style pump I have, is there a way to easily identify it? Thinking back I'm not sure if it went into "limp" mode because the car completly shut off, but it did have the reduced power light along with the low fuel pressure code.

I've been trying to research the EKPM3, from what I've read they overheat easily and can shut off, after upgrading the lpfp, but Ive had that pump in my car for a few months now and hasnt had any issue so far but I pulled my seat cover and had the car idling for about 15 minutes and I would say that thing was unusually warm to the touch. Have you heard of issues with these before? I was wanting to try to replicate what it did and catch it in a log but I don't want to do any more damage/ overheat the epkm3 than I already have if that even is part of the problem.

Not sure if this would help but if got a startup/idle log from yesterday, few hours after the breakdown, and a log from last week.

https://datazap.me/u/sleeper90/log-1...28-29-30-31-32

https://datazap.me/u/sleeper90/50-2?...28-29-30-31-32
You may be onto something with the EKP. It's very common for people's EKP to overheat and shut down when running bigger LPFP's. People with larger pumps tend to treat them as wear items. If you don't have problems initially, good chance they'll develop eventually. I've seen people posting that actually keep spare EKP's in the car incase they completely die. I think the Walbo 535 is the only larger LPFP that doesn't seem to cause problems with the EKP.

With that fueling and boost level, you should be within the capability of either style HPFP (assuming it's in good shape).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:20 PM   #7
sleeeper90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I was troubleshooting a similar issue with 2BDE code before I totaled my car not so long ago.

Never had it shutdown on me or throw a limp because of that though. All it would do would have long cranks on startup but then rail pressure was super healthy so I was doubting that it would be HPFP. I read up a bit and decided to change the fuel pressure regulator but it didn't fix anything.

Was there any other codes when it limped? It's odd that it didn't start for a few min but when you let it rest (or cool?) it then worked. Potential cause as you pointed might be overheating electronics? Would the LPFP install request higher current loads making the EKPM3 heat up quickly?
I've never experienced any long cranks with the car so far. No other codes other than the low fuel pressure. I've heard that even though the aftermarket lpfp in same 12v it pulls more amps, Ive yet to look in to how much more or if it can be re-coded to work with the aftermarket pump better or if it will just be and ongoing issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:26 PM   #8
sleeeper90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
You may be onto something with the EKP. It's very common for people's EKP to overheat and shut down when running bigger LPFP's. People with larger pumps tend to treat them as wear items. If you don't have problems initially, good chance they'll develop eventually. I've seen people posting that actually keep spare EKP's in the car incase they completely die. I think the Walbo 535 is the only larger LPFP that doesn't seem to cause problems with the EKP.

With that fueling and boost level, you should be within the capability of either style HPFP (assuming it's in good shape).
I could see that, couldn't hurt to have a spare on hand, they're fairly cheap. Its been in my car for a few months now but only a short time with new turbo setup and tune, maybe its finally pulling more amps now that the tune is being adjusted? I did find an Arc Terminator 3d printed shroud and PC fan on ecs tuning that I installed last night. It's basically designed to cool the epkm3. I haven't had any issues but its been less than 24hrs. I've been keeping a close eye on my fuel psi and it seems pretty consistent, 800-1200 at idle and even up to 2900 under load. I've got a new fuel pressure reg coming, I'll put that in as another precaution. And hpfp as a last resort. Do you know of any "upgrade" hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:31 AM   #9
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

My car is still in the garage having various parts replaced, but I recently had the LPFP, LPFP regulator/filter and HPFP replaced. Here's the thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...highlight=2bde
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:51 AM   #10
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper90 View Post
I could see that, couldn't hurt to have a spare on hand, they're fairly cheap. Its been in my car for a few months now but only a short time with new turbo setup and tune, maybe its finally pulling more amps now that the tune is being adjusted? I did find an Arc Terminator 3d printed shroud and PC fan on ecs tuning that I installed last night. It's basically designed to cool the epkm3. I haven't had any issues but its been less than 24hrs. I've been keeping a close eye on my fuel psi and it seems pretty consistent, 800-1200 at idle and even up to 2900 under load. I've got a new fuel pressure reg coming, I'll put that in as another precaution. And hpfp as a last resort. Do you know of any "upgrade" hpfp?
For upgraded hpfp, Look into Dorch Engineering. I have a Dorch stage 2 hpfp I'll be putting on. They now have a stage 2.5 that can flow slighlty more than the stage 2. Also, the MHD app has flash-time check boxe options for the Dorch pumps, so that's very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:50 AM   #11
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's a thread with some info about the EKP, just replace the "xx" with "oo":

https://www.spxxlstreet.com/threads/...ng.8765/page-2

If you search EKP over there, you'll find a lot of good threads about various ways people cool the stock ones, and some aftermarket upgrade options.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:19 PM   #12
sleeeper90
Rep

Okay, So I did a little bit of work to the car this week. i installed te ArcTerminator cooling shroud, that thing is a pretty sweet little setup honestly. All i had to to was use the fuse jumper and add it to the fuse box, remove the old cover and snap the new cooling shroud on and that it, there is a definite difference to the touch now, id say the epkm3 is staying cool now. Also i replace the fue pressure regulator and fuel pressure sensor whi;e i was at it. Ive got about 250 miles on the car since then and havent had anymore of the issues i was having before, i do still have a shadow low fuel pressure code but im pretty sure that has come and gone since ive had the car. Anyways, no real difference in fuel pressure but heres another log. Hopefully that solves that issue!!

https://datazap.me/u/sleeper90/55-du...28-29-30-31-32
Appreciate 1
wrevilo28.00