E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Spray&Gloss vs Spray&Wipe

07-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Spray&Gloss vs Spray&Wipe

I bought some Spray&Wipe a while ago and liked it, but didn't want to waste my limited 16oz. So on my next purchase I decided to buy the 32oz Spray&Gloss for post-wash detail.

I'll be honest, though, I haven't really seen a difference, including doing a side by side (half hood wiped down, half not). I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

I might just buy more S&W instead, since it's the same price as the gloss, and use the S&W as a post-wash wipedown. I would feel more comfortable doing this anyway, I think, because it's designed with the extra lubrication for a dry car in mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Poorboy's Spray & Wipe is heavier on the cleaners than Spray & Gloss, which is what makes it more effective at removing a light dusting or using it to remove bird dropping etchings, etc. S&W has no gloss enhancers or protection with it. S&W also makes for a good clay bar lubricant, which can be used diluted down even at a 1 to 1 ratio.

Spray & Gloss will add some shine to the paint as well as a thin layer of protection. It has some polymers in it which can help extend the life of your sealant or wax. Spray & Gloss should be applied to an already clean surface, where as Spray & Wipe could be applied on a layer dust.

Hope this helps,

George
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Thanks, George, I reread my post and realized it wasn't clear what I was asking.

In my opinion, the Spray & Gloss doesn't really seem to add any shine or gloss. My side-by-side wasn't comparing Wipe vs Gloss, but Gloss vs. no QD. I was wondering if others thought the same? I also don't have any comparison with other QD as to how it should "shine" when finished.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I'd have to disagree with your findings. I see some significant gloss after S&G application on a clean freshly washed surface. I keep S&W plus an MF towel in the trunk net for mainly bird bombs to prevent any etchings. I bought one 16oz bottle of each and have been buying the refills as it's more cost effective, probably two to one on the S&G refills over S&W.
Appreciate 0