E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How come nobody hates their iDrive?????

09-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #45
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
They don't want to admit they paid $2K+ for a feature that isn't reliable OR, they don't mind paying $2k for a feature that isn't reliable because it has "I'm cool" appeal.

Just like cellphones, NAV is for the most part pointless for 99% of us. It's all about marketing a preceived "need" and most people fall for it.

Auto journalists hate it because they know BMW sucks when it comes to building this type of stuff (5 and 7 series owners have/had numerous problems with their I-Drive). BMW has been forced to compete in an area it is weak and it's competitors are strong..Electronics.

PC's are for rebooting...BMW's are for driving. If you want bling bling electronics buy Asian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
I-Drive is an answer to a question that was not asked. Who needs it? Fortunately BMW offers the E90 without it. The BMW Nav system certainly offered no incentive for me to order it and i-Drive as better and less expensive Nav systems are available.
If 99% of BMW drivers don't use or need cell phones, then I'm in the other 1%, which may explain why I've used the nav extensively. For me, reliability has not been a problem. Despite using it pretty much every day at least once, I've never had to reboot it in about 4K miles.

Not that it's perfect. One day it got confused and thought it was 400 feet from where it really was, but that corrected itself in a couple of minutes. I'd like it to be faster, and I'd like to be able to look up "information" items like restaurants by name, not just distance from somewhere. But the shortcomings are not showstoppers. Just because another car has a better nav doesn't make mine unusable, or lead me to "hate it".
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's funny actually how people become dependent on such things. I have a friend of mine who has lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and STILL can't find his way around town unless he can program it in his NAV. That is sorry my friends.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #47
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
It's funny actually how people become dependent on such things. I have a friend of mine who has lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and STILL can't find his way around town unless he can program it in his NAV. That is sorry my friends.
Not as sorry as not being able to drive manual transmission... EVERYBODY should know how to drive a stick, even if they choose to buy an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #48
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Navigation is a nice feature to have in my opinion. Nothing's better than being able to pull out the nearest StarBucks or whatever you choose from your location.

People don't use the navigation where they live - well, seldomly they do. The navigation is mainly there for people who like to actually *travel* with their car.

99.9% of the people here who bashed on navigation have never *owned* a good form of vehicular navigation. Period.

Same thing with active steering. 99.9% of the people who bash on active steering are the ones who have *not* test-driven an active steering BMW for more than 24 hours. Of course, I'm not saying that a straight guy should be homo for a week before putting down that idea.

Having a navigation system doesn't undermine the BMW itself or the driver him/herself in any way.

People w/o navigation who attempt to debase people w/ navigation by saying "they're in happy denial so as to pretend that they did not waste $2,000" --- ironic because of the analogy that "people w/o navigation "are in sad denial that they could not afford the $2000 navigation and are trying to justify their situation by vituperating the feature."

EDIT: I meant "not" as per active steering (people who bash on it are the ones who barely tried it out).

Last edited by Squawks; 09-27-2005 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #49
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Of course, I'm not saying that a straight guy should be homo for a week before putting down that idea.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #50
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Squawks]

99.9% of the people here who bashed on navigation have never *owned* a good form of vehicular navigation. Period.
QUOTE]

That's a load of BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #51
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Squawks]

People w/o navigation who attempt to debase people w/ navigation by saying "they're in happy denial so as to pretend that they did not waste $2,000" --- ironic because of the analogy that "people w/o navigation "are in sad denial that they could not afford the $2000 navigation and are trying to justify their situation by vituperating the feature."
QUOTE]

That's an even more asinine comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Not as sorry as not being able to drive manual transmission... EVERYBODY should know how to drive a stick, even if they choose to buy an automatic.
Yeah..I'm convinced the invention of the A/T has made drivers worse because they don't have to pay attention to the traffic ahead for downshift purposes.

If lack the coordination to drive a manual, you probably lack the coordination to to avoid an accident as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #53
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah..I'm convinced the invention of the A/T has made drivers worse because they don't have to pay attention to the traffic ahead for downshift purposes.

If lack the coordination to drive a manual, you probably lack the coordination to to avoid an accident as well.

This is probably the silliest comment so far in this thread.

This isn't an iDrive bashing thread, I doin't really care what people who hate idrive or think other iDrive users are stupid think.

I just wanted to find out from people who ordered iDrive if they like it, and indeed, most of them appear to like it a great deal.

I believe the demographic for E90 buyers is a fairly intelligent one, they don't drop a couple of grand on an option they think is useless or have trouble justifying later.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #54
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Yeah, Stew, you'll find it true indeed that nearly 99.9% of BMW owners with iDrive, so far, has no regrets whatsoever. They even say once you go navigation, it's hard to go back. Who bash on iDrive? Lets make a very careful note: those who do not own iDrive, i.e. reviewers, test-drivers.

In regards to Socom's impetuous bilges, notice that he became rather defensive when I brought up the analogy that "people w/o navigation debase people w/ navigation so as to make themselves feel better for not being able to afford navigation" and that "people who bash navigation are, 99.9% of the time, people who have never used navigation to its maximum potential." Coincidence? No. Insecure? Yes.

Nobody gets the navigation because they need it. Period. It's a want.

Why do people cavil about other people who choose to add in the navigation option, anyways?

People who whine about others who buy 330 ZSP w/ steptronic, you guys need

People who whine about others who buy cars w/ colors you don't like, you guys need

People who whine about others who buy cars w/ active steering, you guys need

People who whine about others who add in the iDrive option, you guys need

The logic here is very simple and implies one thing about these people: they're envious, or they're insecure, or they're passionately vehement, or they're in sad denial and desperately seek justification to protect themselves, and/or lastly, they are simply curmudgeons.

This lugubrious imbroglio, started by those who rebuff others having what they lack, must cease.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #55
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Squawks, you get my vote for post of the day (because you agree with me)!!

Also, because you're right on! Think I'll reread this one a few times!

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #56
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

I'm with Stew and Squawks! Well posted, guys!
The great thing about a thread like this is it enables me to easily identify candidates for my "Ignore List" - not you fellers though!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #57
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, Stew, you'll find it true indeed that nearly 99.9% of BMW owners with iDrive, so far, has no regrets whatsoever. They even say once you go navigation, it's hard to go back. Who bash on iDrive? Lets make a very careful note: those who do not own iDrive, i.e. reviewers, test-drivers.

In regards to Socom's impetuous bilges, notice that he became rather defensive when I brought up the analogy that "people w/o navigation debase people w/ navigation so as to make themselves feel better for not being able to afford navigation" and that "people who bash navigation are, 99.9% of the time, people who have never used navigation to its maximum potential." Coincidence? No. Insecure? Yes.

Why do people cavil about other people who choose to add in the navigation option, anyways?

People who whine about others who buy cars w/ colors you don't like, you guys need

The logic here is very simple and implies one thing about these people: they're envious, or they're insecure, or they're passionately vehement, or they're in sad denial and desperately seek justification to protect themselves, and/or lastly, they are simply curmudgeons.

This lugubrious imbroglio, started by those who rebuff others having what they lack, must cease.
I said your comment was asinine. I believe the insecurity is your own since you felt it was necessary to suggest we who do not have I-drive either can't afford it or wish we had it.

As for I-Drive..I would suggest deep inside most owners are praying it doesn't fizzle out on them.

Furthermore...If u read my orginal post you'll see I said if you want NAV buy Asian. I would surmise this is your first BMW and therefore your experience with brand is limited at best.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #58
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I said your comment was asinine. I believe the insecurity is your own since you felt it was necessary to suggest we who do not have I-drive either can't afford it or wish we had it.

As for I-Drive..I would suggest deep inside most owners are praying it doesn't fizzle out on them.

Furthermore...If u read my orginal post you'll see I said if you want NAV buy Asian. I would surmise this is your first BMW and therefore your experience with brand is limited at best.
Is it performance snobs like this that give ZHP owners a bad rep at bimmerfest?

That's funny, BMW owners being snobby with each other...generally we're perceived as just snobby to everyone else! I like this!

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
This is probably the silliest comment so far in this thread.

This isn't an iDrive bashing thread, I doin't really care what people who hate idrive or think other iDrive users are stupid think.

I just wanted to find out from people who ordered iDrive if they like it, and indeed, most of them appear to like it a great deal.

I believe the demographic for E90 buyers is a fairly intelligent one, they don't drop a couple of grand on an option they think is useless or have trouble justifying later.

Mostly meant as a joke...As for the demographics I think you're right, but which demographics? BMW/MB/Audi spent millions of dollars in the late 90's trying to find out what the majority of current BMW owners would want their cars to have in the 2000's. I-drive as an answer was somewhat confusing since the majority of BMW drivers in the 1990's were in their 30-40's and now 40-50's. It just didn't make sense. The I-drive seems catered to the 20's-30's crowd.

It's just my personal experience with the brand that tells me to stay away from I-drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #60
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Is it performance snobs like this that give ZHP owners a bad rep at bimmerfest?

That's funny, BMW owners being snobby with each other...generally we're perceived as just snobby to everyone else! I like this!

Not snobby..just wishing people would read posts in their entirety(sp?).

Ever notice how the dealerships rarely if ever have an E90 equiped with I-drive on the lot?
Ever wonder why I-drive is an option on the E90 and not the E60 or 7-series?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #61
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mostly meant as a joke...As for the demographics I think you're right, but which demographics? BMW/MB/Audi spent millions of dollars in the late 90's trying to find out what the majority of current BMW owners would want their cars to have in the 2000's. I-drive as an answer was somewhat confusing since the majority of BMW drivers in the 1990's were in their 30-40's and now 40-50's. It just didn't make sense. The I-drive seems catered to the 20's-30's crowd.

It's just my personal experience with the brand that tells me to stay away from I-drive.
Fair enough, we all live our own experiences with our cars, as with everything else.

Page 93 of "Selling points", available in the member download section, indicates that our demographic is 30-50 and getting older, MEDIAN household income $102,000 (US!!), etc etc, if I could paste it I would but I can't. It's very interesting and compares quite similarly to other luxury brands except us Bimmerfolk seems to have kids.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #62
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Group Hug !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #63
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Read post in entirety? Hah, a fatuous remark, at best. Uhhh...I did read your *all* of your posts and let's canvass your impious remarks in detail:

Quote:
They don't want to admit they paid $2K+ for a feature that isn't reliable OR, they don't mind paying $2k for a feature that isn't reliable because it has "I'm cool" appeal.
That is luculently denigrating to those who have iDrive. Period.

Quote:
It's funny actually how people become dependent on such things.
Another captious remark, and it's obviously in a condescending tone. As I said already, iDrive is not a need, but a want. Is it no coincidence how every person who has iDrive while doing European Delivery praise it in their blogs/writeups? Every single one of them heap encomiums on iDrive. Extra approbation for iDrive prospectives.

You also say I'm insecure? Hahahah! I don't even own an E90 and you can bet that I don't even have navigation in my Civic! But have I used navigation before? Oh, yes. An '03 TL's system on top of the '06's navigation, which are both above-par than any other navigation system I've tried, including Audi's. I used them for road-trips. Vegas, Reno, NorCal. Helped me find many amenities not normally found among people lacking navigation. Your ill-conceived suppositions make your own iDrive bashings more rancorous.

Lastly, carping about people not reading posts plumbly? Worst problem: people who don't understand how to comprehend posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #64
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Read post in entirety? Hah, a fatuous remark, at best. Uhhh...I did read your *all* of your posts and let's canvass your impious remarks in detail:

That is luculently denigrating to those who have iDrive. Period.

Another captious remark, and it's obviously in a condescending tone. As I said already, iDrive is not a need, but a want. Is it no coincidence how every person who has iDrive while doing European Delivery praise it in their blogs/writeups? Every single one of them heap encomiums on iDrive. Extra approbation for iDrive prospectives.

You also say I'm insecure? Hahahah! I don't even own an E90 and you can bet that I don't even have navigation in my Civic! But have I used navigation before? Oh, yes. An '03 TL's system on top of the '06's navigation, which are both above-par than any other navigation system I've tried, including Audi's. I used them for road-trips. Vegas, Reno, NorCal. Helped me find many amenities not normally found among people lacking navigation. Your ill-conceived suppositions make your own iDrive bashings more rancorous.

Lastly, carping about people not reading posts plumbly? Worst problem: people who don't understand how to comprehend posts.
See..you followed my advise without even knowing it. Acura's system is the best, and it's been out for a few years.

When you know people who can't drive to the movies without programming the "best" route on their nav, come talk to me about whether or not you think it's silly that people have become dependent on such things.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #65
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:

So what you are saying is that you don't know how to drive a manual transmission car, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #66
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Of course, I'm not saying that a straight guy should be homo for a week before putting down that idea.
Oh great. NOW you tell me!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0