F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 with b58 hpfp and MHD missfire failure
proTUNING Freaks

08-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #23
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Just to clarify what i mean:

Wont build boost past 13-14 psi --> boost leak could be the reason

builds boost past 13-14 psi but doesnt run right when it does --> much less likely boost leak is the reason
It seems like one issue is causing another, and vice versa. Best way is if I get a chance to put the car back together I'll do some logging to see what's really up.

Yesterday after work, I managed to jack up the car and remove the whole front end and prep the turbo inlet area to receive the boost leak tester adapter. That part will get in tomorrow. I'll put in boost in 5psi increments all the way up to 30psi to see if I can catch anything this way. But yeah, I really want to make sure I clear the boost leak test before I go much further. Thanks so far for all the help so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #24
Siowroc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Im still here 😅
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siowroc View Post
Im still here 😅
Did you collect additional logs?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #26
Siowroc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you collect additional logs?
im about to do that today.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #27
Siowroc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siowroc View Post
im about to do that today.

same, cuts out power on 2nd and 3rd gear on about 5k rpms, not sure why logs are not saved, will try to deliver logs tommorow.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 11:37 PM   #28
yupetc
Captain
Rep

I don't want to steal this thread and make it my own issue; but I gotta say, my symptoms are eerily similar to what the OP has. An update today: I managed to run the boost leak tester and long story short, I've identified many small leaks around the intercooler joints and a big leak because the throttle-side charge pipe has a slight collapse on the worm-clamp ring. It's what's causing my car to limp upon boost beyond 13psi; I'm guessing because it's got "implausible" MAP reading between the leak and what the turbo's EWG's been doing. Maybe it's a good bone to throw at the OP here?

I've put mostly OEM plumbing and OEM intercooler back in and was then able to achieve 20psi,23psi, 25psi, and 28psi boost leak test, all held with flying colors. I only had enough time to button everything back together today. I'll be taking the car out on the road for real test tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
I don't want to steal this thread and make it my own issue; but I gotta say, my symptoms are eerily similar to what the OP has. An update today: I managed to run the boost leak tester and long story short, I've identified many small leaks around the intercooler joints and a big leak because the throttle-side charge pipe has a slight collapse on the worm-clamp ring. It's what's causing my car to limp upon boost beyond 13psi; I'm guessing because it's got "implausible" MAP reading between the leak and what the turbo's EWG's been doing. Maybe it's a good bone to throw at the OP here?

I've put mostly OEM plumbing and OEM intercooler back in and was then able to achieve 20psi,23psi, 25psi, and 28psi boost leak test, all held with flying colors. I only had enough time to button everything back together today. I'll be taking the car out on the road for real test tomorrow.
You might need these Orings: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1659611
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:11 AM   #30
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the charged side of intake plumbing have held 25 psi of artificial boost, that sort of rules out the O-ring modifications, right? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If the charged side of intake plumbing have held 25 psi of artificial boost, that sort of rules out the O-ring modifications, right? Just wondering.
yeah, if you held pressure, should be fine, unless you have the issue where they leak when the motor flexes
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #32
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah, if you held pressure, should be fine, unless you have the issue where they leak when the motor flexes
Thanks, bro.

I'm now chasing after two codes:

101F01 - Calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible
104B01 - Absolute pressure sensor, intake pipe, multiple fault

Only get these codes upon cold start. Car drives fine and runs strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Thanks, bro.

I'm now chasing after two codes:

101F01 - Calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible
104B01 - Absolute pressure sensor, intake pipe, multiple fault

Only get these codes upon cold start. Car drives fine and runs strong.
Map sensor? Have you tried clearing adaptations? Also, have you managed to get the logging to work?

Still waiting on OP to get back, but no leaks or issues with the new IC/CP setup - on your chassis any issue with the tubing bursting/Cracking?
      08-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #34
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Map sensor? Have you tried clearing adaptations? Also, have you managed to get the logging to work?

Still waiting on OP to get back, but no leaks or issues with the new IC/CP setup - on your chassis any issue with the tubing bursting/Cracking?
I was testing all this weekend, changing MHD stage maps in and out. On each change, I reset ALL applicable adaptations. So I'm sure car's got a clean slate to work from.

No issues with the piping since I was able to fit a boost leak adapter onto the turbo inlet and introduce different levels of compressed air into it. Was able to step up to 25 psi without an issue.

The two codes I list seems to be pointing to an issue with pressure during vacuum situations, ie. idle and cold start; but I don't get bad idling rpms. Very weird. The only thing I haven't gotten to replace is a valvecover (which mine is only less than 0.5 year old.) But it's a brand new OEM VC ordered through FCPeuro. So I've ordered a new one and will do the swap with them. I suspect a crack somewhere in the PCV system in that valvecover, but just don't have a way of checking it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #35
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I was testing all this weekend, changing MHD stage maps in and out. On each change, I reset ALL applicable adaptations. So I'm sure car's got a clean slate to work from.

No issues with the piping since I was able to fit a boost leak adapter onto the turbo inlet and introduce different levels of compressed air into it. Was able to step up to 25 psi without an issue.

The two codes I list seems to be pointing to an issue with pressure during vacuum situations, ie. idle and cold start; but I don't get bad idling rpms. Very weird. The only thing I haven't gotten to replace is a valvecover (which mine is only less than 0.5 year old.) But it's a brand new OEM VC ordered through FCPeuro. So I've ordered a new one and will do the swap with them. I suspect a crack somewhere in the PCV system in that valvecover, but just don't have a way of checking it.
On my E90 when I did my MILVS, the valve cover was cracked (brand new) so it's possible.

Share your logs when you can I wonder what the boost and load profile look like with them installed on a stock map - may be able to compare it to thejeremyman9
      08-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #36
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
On my E90 when I did my MILVS, the valve cover was cracked (brand new) so it's possible.

Share your logs when you can I wonder what the boost and load profile look like with them installed on a stock map - may be able to compare it to thejeremyman9

Will replace valvecover tomorrow then go on a vacation. Will log after the vacation and see where this goes. I'm very curious too about what that log may look like.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

What log are you looking for comparison?

I do have some stock logs way back in the beginning of my datazap uploads https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9
Appreciate 1
yupetc389.50
      08-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #38
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Got the valvecover replaced. fault codes 101F01 and 104B01 are both gone. Driven 40 miles this morning to confirm it. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

I'll still need to log the car in September after my vacation. Still dealing with very hard fish-bite jerk upon high load when climbing up on the rpm. Boost does get to where it needs to go, but car will go into limp mode after the surge of boost. So even on MHD stage 1, I don't get to rev it beyond 5k rpms because the car would already reach limp mode first. No codes prior to doing this, and the only codes I get after the limp mode is cylinder 6 misfire and multiple misfires. I know you guys will be diagnosing this in blind without a log. So once I get back, I'll manually log it. Am watching enough videos on youtube to learn how to operate it on the MHD app. Will also look to do a compression test to see if that cylinder is acting funny. I dearly hope it's not due to a cracked head or something wrong with the valves.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #39
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Got the valvecover replaced. fault codes 101F01 and 104B01 are both gone. Driven 40 miles this morning to confirm it. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

I'll still need to log the car in September after my vacation. Still dealing with very hard fish-bite jerk upon high load when climbing up on the rpm. Boost does get to where it needs to go, but car will go into limp mode after the surge of boost. So even on MHD stage 1, I don't get to rev it beyond 5k rpms because the car would already reach limp mode first. No codes prior to doing this, and the only codes I get after the limp mode is cylinder 6 misfire and multiple misfires. I know you guys will be diagnosing this in blind without a log. So once I get back, I'll manually log it. Am watching enough videos on youtube to learn how to operate it on the MHD app. Will also look to do a compression test to see if that cylinder is acting funny. I dearly hope it's not due to a cracked head or something wrong with the valves.
Well that's some good news. It doesnt sound like you might have a problem with cylinder 6 specifically. For MHD logging, its super simple, just make sure you go into settings and select the parameters you want before you go out and log.
Appreciate 1
yupetc389.50
      08-17-2022, 02:05 PM   #40
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Definitely appreciate a whole lot of you so far. Very helpful folks and knowledgeable to learn from. Will tackle to limp mode issue once I'm back in again. Will be troubling you folks to look at logs then.
Appreciate 0