BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #89
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The problem is specific to certain wheels and certain calipers. 380 rotor with the f80 caliper combo is designed to fit the f80 18” m3 wheels. Completely different caliper design, pad shapes and mounting points than these Brembos.

The Megane RS calipers these use are designed to work with the 355 rotor on that car and so they fit good on a 360 behind 18” wheels. It isn’t designed to work with a 380 rotor.

I’m not a fan of adapting calipers from other cars as it changes a lot of things such as brake bias, wheel clearance etc. A brake kit designed for a car is usually always better. I.e. even though they use the same calipers on every application, Stoptech uses different brake piston sizes on every application to match the stock system. But this budget option works good and has no drawbacks. I am surprised it works so well.
Agreed. The F8x blue 4p caliper is on the smaller size, especially the area around the top of the pads and center of the caliper, so it clears a lot of different 18” wheels. Combining a larger six/four piston caliper with F8x 380 mm rotor can make using an 18” difficult or impossible.

I actually prefer a brake kit that moves the bias slightly rearward because combined with stiffer rear springs it improves overall braking with no impact on brake stability.
Appreciate 2
Z K1888.50
Thumbie95.50
      01-09-2024, 03:52 PM   #90
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Agreed. The F8x blue 4p caliper is on the smaller size, especially the area around the top of the pads and center of the caliper, so it clears a lot of different 18” wheels. Combining a larger six/four piston caliper with F8x 380 mm rotor can make using an 18” difficult or impossible.

I actually prefer a brake kit that moves the bias slightly rearward because combined with stiffer rear springs it improves overall braking with no impact on brake stability.
I agree with you. Unfortunately many adapted big brakes will move brake bias forward as the calipers are larger with more pistons. Properly sized calipers to move the same amount of brake fluid as stock is very important. Many people just see "big brakes" and assume it'll work better than stock.

Back about 25 years ago, I stuck 300ZX calipers on my 240SX. Took it to the track and the rear end would step out every time I stepped on the brakes because the front caliper was much too large and no fluid was going to the back. Changing brake master cylinder, brake slave cylinder to 300zx fixed the bias issue.
      01-09-2024, 04:34 PM   #91
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately many adapted big brakes will move brake bias forward as the calipers are larger with more pistons. Properly sized calipers to move the same amount of brake fluid as stock is very important. Many people just see "big brakes" and assume it'll work better than stock.

Back about 25 years ago, I stuck 300ZX calipers on my 240SX. Took it to the track and the rear end would step out every time I stepped on the brakes because the front caliper was much too large and no fluid was going to the back. Changing brake master cylinder, brake slave cylinder to 300zx fixed the bias issue.
I’m trying to imagine what it must’ve felt like driving it.

You’re correct. 99% of BBK buyers do not even understand the effect of putting different calipers with different piston sizes with different rotor sizes on braking performance. Bigger = better is what they all believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:22 AM   #92
hennessy_r24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Here is my setup alfa romeo quadrifoglio 6pot , full sweep with gt500 pads and e9x oem rotors . Brake pedal feels great and great braking for street duties, also bought the shims kit from them incase I wanted to up rotor size with f80 rotors
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:39 AM   #93
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessy_r24 View Post
Here is my setup alfa romeo quadrifoglio 6pot , full sweep with gt500 pads and e9x oem rotors . Brake pedal feels great and great braking for street duties, also bought the shims kit from them incase I wanted to up rotor size with f80 rotors
Are you certain the Alfa calipers you’ve received are genuine Alfa Brembo calipers? From what I’ve seen, Alfa uses the fixed caliper bridge design, not the removable caliper bridge design. They also use the version where the three piston castings are visible from the side profile. I don’t follow Alfas closely so I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:45 PM   #94
hennessy_r24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Are you certain the Alfa calipers you’ve received are genuine Alfa Brembo calipers? From what I’ve seen, Alfa uses the fixed caliper bridge design, not the removable caliper bridge design. They also use the version where the three piston castings are visible from the side profile. I don’t follow Alfas closely so I could be wrong.
Original oem alfa romeo quadrifoglio calipers from a wrecked 2023 quadrifoglio with 4k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:48 PM   #95
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessy_r24 View Post
Original oem alfa romeo quadrifoglio calipers from a wrecked 2023 quadrifoglio with 4k miles
Thanks
Appreciate 0