BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-29-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
sperkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT

Rear Toe Arms: Jam nuts vs clamps?

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of replacing subframe bushings, along with RTAB's.

I'll eventually replace the rear toe arms and upper control arms.

I see that some offerings use a jam nut or a small clamp to hold the adjustment.
I'm not an engineer, but it appears the clamp can only work if the metal is thin enough (or slotted) for the clamp to compress. The jam nut doesn't compromise the thickness of the tube.
It appears most of the mfgrs have moved to a clamping system:
SPL
Rogue

AKG still uses a jam nut, Turner offers both.

Which is better? Or does it matter?

For comparison, here is Turner's offering:

Clamps

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-links-e9x-m3/

Jam Nuts

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...inks/?pdk=AAEE

Last edited by sperkins; 02-29-2024 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Error
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 04:14 PM   #2
iamtrashman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW Stripper M3

I am sure other people know better than myself but the *lock style* are good enough for tie rods from the factory so they are probably good enough for me.

I have read on here of some SPL parts failing but I think it was maybe a hardware issue and not necessarily a design issue.

Edit* mistyped jam nut
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:33 PM   #3
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

i personally would chose the jam nuts..
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 03:26 PM   #4
sperkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtrashman View Post
I am sure other people know better than myself but the *lock style* are good enough for tie rods from the factory so they are probably good enough for me.

I have read on here of some SPL parts failing but I think it was maybe a hardware issue and not necessarily a design issue.

Edit* mistyped jam nut
I understand your rationale. My concern is the lateral load we can put on these arms with sticky tires and aggressive settings. Even though we're talking about a toe arm, i've been reading about guys snapping camber arm bolts during track days. Makes me think these linkages need as much "meat" as we can get where the rod ends thread in.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:31 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

My friend uses clamp-style Turner arms and complains about difficulty holding alignment. He got so annoyed he's considering going back to stock arms. So definitely jam nuts.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:39 PM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Really either style will work when installed correctly, but I'm surprised at the jam nut opinions! I like the clamp style, which is why I went with the SPL Parts toe links. Jam nut options are definitely less expensive.

The issue I DONT like with the jam nut style is you have a jam nut with coarse threads on each end of a threaded rod. Getting your toe set is very finicky and touchy already so trying to tighten two coarse thread jam nuts down while holding the threaded rod precisely in place is difficult and annoying. And especially if you are trying to torque to spec using a crows foot socket and torque wrench. The stock alignment eccentric cam bolts have the same annoyance when trying to keep them exactly in one place while torqueing the nut (wish they had finer threads).

I will say, the clamp locking style needs SIGNIFICANTLY more tightening torque than you think it does before it keeps the alignment specs. When I initially installed my SPL toe links, I tightened the clamp's Allen head screws down as tight as I felt comfortable because they are such a small little screw. You feel like you will easily break the screw or strip the clamp ring threads. But even with me tightening what I thought was plenty, sure enough the rear toe walked out on the drive to the alignment rack and I had -2 degrees of toe out on the RR corner . After looking at the SPL torque sheet, they asked for over 12 ft-lb (150 in•lb) of torque for those tiny little screws! You have to use a ratchet and 3/16" hex socket to get even close to that torque; an Allen wrench of any length isn't strong enough. I was amazed how much torque they could hold.

It's been two years, with several track days and autocrosses and my rear toe has not moved whatsover each time I align the car before an event.