F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW US Sales Drop in June, But Outpaces Rivals
ARMA SPEED

07-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
+1. I'm seeing more and more LCI 3er's and less pre-LCI's each day. Never mind the slew of new 7er's I see in and around the downtown core.
Exactly. I find myself spending a fair bit of time these days driving around the Uptown area (Yonge/Finch to Yonge/Eglinton) and I'm simply amazed with how many BMWs I see driving around. I've particularly noticed a lot of X3/X5 models to be honest, but even 335s/340s being so prevalent in that region makes me feel like I'm just a peon with my CPO 328i.

Mississauga and Oakville also have quite a few BMWs around - especially LCIs like you stated.
      07-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

not sure about the US but in Canada MB sells very well because the residuals that MB put on the cars are very aggressive hence much cheaper to lease than BMW.
The lease rate and residuals have a huge affect on sales.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
+1. I'm seeing more and more LCI 3er's and less pre-LCI's each day. Never mind the slew of new 7er's I see in and around the downtown core.
Exactly. I find myself spending a fair bit of time these days driving around the Uptown area (Yonge/Finch to Yonge/Eglinton) and I'm simply amazed with how many BMWs I see driving around. I've particularly noticed a lot of X3/X5 models to be honest, but even 335s/340s being so prevalent in that region makes me feel like I'm just a peon with my CPO 328i.

Mississauga and Oakville also have quite a few BMWs around - especially LCIs like you stated.
Canada is second only to the USA in the number of M cars purchased on ratio. Canada got 50 M4 GTS out of 700. Germany got 30. we buy a lot of BMW'S and M cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #26
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Again German manufacturers figures are being driven by SUV sales.
Right, BMW needs x2, x7 and x8 to reign over the competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
not sure about the US but in Canada MB sells very well because the residuals that MB put on the cars are very aggressive hence much cheaper to lease than BMW.
MB also sells well due to it's popularity in the more diverse Canadian demographics I'd assume.

I owned a Mazda 3 before my BMW and a funny fact that I learned while talking to other enthusiasts at meets was that the Mazdaspeed3 for the longest time did not offer a white paint job option in the U.S market. The Canadian market did have a rather large portion of owners opting for the available white paint job and when Americans would come up they'd always comment on how upset they were that white exterior wasn't an option for them when they bought their cars. I was told that it had to do with the predominant ethnic demographic for the Mazdaspeed3 in Canada (Younger/Middle-aged Asian Males) being attracted to the white exterior, whereas the demand (or demographic) in the U.S did not experience this white car obsession to the same degree.

BMW also seems to sell quite well here. I spent time in two parts of NY State last year before I got my car (4 days in Rochester and 5 in Manhattan). I barely noticed any BMWs out there....maybe like 3-4 the entire time in Rochester and like 15-20 in Manhattan.

Here in Toronto I can't go for a cruise longer than 15 minutes without seeing at least 15-20 BMWs driving around - I'm sure depending on where others on here in Canada live they'd be able to confirm this for me.

Quote:
Canada is second only to the USA in the number of M cars purchased on ratio. Canada got 50 M4 GTS out of 700. Germany got 30. we buy a lot of BMW'S and M cars.
Good to know that local options will be available for me once I decide to upgrade. I had a hard enough time finding my specific model already - knowing that Ms are more common here vs. elsewhere should make my next car search a little bit easier.
      07-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #28
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix
Quote:
MB also sells well due to it's popularity in the more diverse Canadian demographics I'd assume.

I owned a Mazda 3 before my BMW and a funny fact that I learned while talking to other enthusiasts at meets was that the Mazdaspeed3 for the longest time did not offer a white paint job option in the U.S market. The Canadian market did have a rather large portion of owners opting for the available white paint job and when Americans would come up they'd always comment on how upset they were that white exterior wasn't an option for them when they bought their cars. I was told that it had to do with the predominant ethnic demographic for the Mazdaspeed3 in Canada (Younger/Middle-aged Asian Males) being attracted to the white exterior, whereas the demand (or demographic) in the U.S did not experience this white car obsession to the same degree.

BMW also seems to sell quite well here. I spent time in two parts of NY State last year before I got my car (4 days in Rochester and 5 in Manhattan). I barely noticed any BMWs out there....maybe like 3-4 the entire time in Rochester and like 15-20 in Manhattan.

Here in Toronto I can't go for a cruise longer than 15 minutes without seeing at least 15-20 BMWs driving around - I'm sure depending on where others on here in Canada live they'd be able to confirm this for me.

Quote:
Good to know that local options will be available for me once I decide to upgrade. I had a hard enough time finding my specific model already - knowing that Ms are more common here vs. elsewhere should make my next car search a little bit easier.
I live in North York and if I go to the BMW dealership on Steeles Ave. you have Jewish, Russian, Korean , and a large Chinese clientele. Go to the dealership in Markham and it is almost all Chinese and some Italians. So I see more MB,BMW and Audi's than Toyota's. Heck I see at least 10 Porsche or more everyday.
You are totally correct about the white colour.
Bmw is not having any problem selling cars in Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:01 PM   #29
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I live in North York and if I go to the BMW dealership on Steeles Ave. you have Jewish, Russian, Korean , and a large Chinese clientele. Go to the dealership in Markham and it is almost all Chinese and some Italians. So I see more MB,BMW and Audi's than Toyota's. Heck I see at least 10 Porsche or more everyday.
You are totally correct about the white colour.
Bmw is not having any problem selling cars in Toronto.
Yup. After working and living near Oakville for so long now, there really isn't a car on the road here that surprises me anymore. I must see 3-4 Tesla's on a daily basis, yet when my friends from out of town come to visit they are pretty much in awe every time they see one.

The other day I parked in the CCT underground garage of UTM for class and I counted four M4s (all in different colours) and one M235i among various other (mostly white) MBs, 3-series, Porsches and Audis. My F30 is quite literally average when I park in that garage....my old rusted out Mazda3 practically didn't even belong down there.

Oh, the troubled life of our students these days huh?
      07-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #30
bmwdj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

The title of this thread really reflects how BMW thinks of itself. Even BMW is already falling behind its rival companies, BMW still thinks it is ahead. I am not sure whether it is BMW doesn't get it or it just doesn't care.

Last edited by bmwdj; 07-04-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #31
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
because both Mercedes and Audi have new models
Last time I checked the X1 and X4 are pretty new so BMW's SUV lineup isn't exactly stale. Even the X5 and X6 are new compared to the GLE and GLS which are basically a face lifts of really old models. What's surprising is that the oldest SUV in BMW's range is selling better than their newer models and this contradicts your statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Here's what Good Car Bad Car reported for June:

BMW sold roughly 1,800 more cars than Lexus by sales were off by double....
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

And I found this interesting...

Cadillac sales up in June by 5.5%
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #34
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
Yup. After working and living near Oakville for so long now, there really isn't a car on the road here that surprises me anymore. I must see 3-4 Tesla's on a daily basis, yet when my friends from out of town come to visit they are pretty much in awe every time they see one.

The other day I parked in the CCT underground garage of UTM for class and I counted four M4s (all in different colours) and one M235i among various other (mostly white) MBs, 3-series, Porsches and Audis. My F30 is quite literally average when I park in that garage....my old rusted out Mazda3 practically didn't even belong down there.

Oh, the troubled life of our students these days huh?
I think UTM is hardly a true representation of what the 'average' student life is like. I've only been there on occasion to study for CPA, but most of the students there seem to be wealthy visa/international students.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #35
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I think UTM is hardly a true representation of what the 'average' student life is like. I've only been there on occasion to study for CPA, but most of the students there seem to be wealthy visa/international students.
I'm well aware, I was just poking fun at the situation. I'm done my degree (doing a post-grad certificate there now) and these 18 year old kids are all driving cars that are worth more than their prospective degrees. Then again, if I was in a position to spoil my 18 year old kid like that I'd probably do the same...though I'd probably just settle for a 330e at that age instead of an M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #36
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Forget UTM, go to UTsc. That's where the visa/international students really go to play. It's ridiculous to see students drive McClaren's and Ferrari's to school like it's nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #37
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

look at the F32 numbers.. The car is only 2 years old, but seeing sales like it's at the final year of production
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #38
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

This is how those numbers look..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #39
scoleda
Rep
Drives: 14 Z4

Volume has very little to do with profits in these numbers. Remember, the US dealership model is basically a wholesale liquidation tool for BMWs allocations. This is a long sales strategy, not a quarterly strategy.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
look at the F32 numbers.. The car is only 2 years old, but seeing sales like it's at the final year of production
F32 was introduced Summer 2013 and is due its LCI at the close of the year.
This is somewhat normal round mid-life.

Remember that Mercedes group Commerical and Smart units together whilst BMW recount MINI,Rolls-Royce and Motorrad separately.
      07-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #41
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

BMW is cheaping out. Their maintenance program is meh now, they capped Euro delivery savings, their cars are nothing to write home about vs the competition. I see this as a continued trend, and I'm not alone in this sentiment. I left BMW last year and went American. Never been happier. If I go back German, it's either a used Bimmer or a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #42
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I leased a 2013 328i which I returned earlier this year. It was a nice car and spent $0 on it except for fuel and insurance.

It makes you want to drive economically and maximize gas mileage. It does it really well...42mpg on the highway which is better than any other car I've driven rated in the mid-30's on the highway.

It was fast, comfy, handled well...but it was the most uninspiring BMW I've ever driven. I had zero desire to keep it. It was my first BMW appliance that I owned.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #43
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Significant drops but glad to see they're still leading the pack
      07-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #44
thecurryman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
It's crazy how sales are dropping, yet I continue to see more and more BMWs (newer ones too) on the road here in the GTA.

These are applicable to Canada as well I'd assume? It does say BMW North America after all...
I was just in the GTA a couple days ago... I have to say I am very impressed with the car scene up there! Compared to even LA or NY there are so many "luxury" cars. What gives? are they that much cheaper?
Appreciate 0