E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320D - How to achieve a quick start?

01-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

320D - How to achieve a quick start?

This question has arisen once again, in my mind, in relation to the current CDV and 'clutch judder' threads: how do you achieve a quick (and preferably smooth) start from a standstill, at a traffic light or intersection for example?

I have always found, in diesels especially, there is a certain amount of hurried if not frantic gear-changing, to get from static up into 3rd gear. And of course this is made worse by juddery clutches and/or problems cause by the CDV and/or overly notchy second gear shifts.

Some methods I have used, and their pros & cons:

1. Obviously, you can start off nice and slow, let the process of moving off in First run its course, then change slowly into Second, then you begin to accelerate, and eventually - while that Vauxhall NOva in front of you recedes - you will be able to get into Third and begin to really drive.

2. Apply plenty of throttle, surge forward in First, then frantically change quickly and awkwardly into Second, keeping up the throttle until you can get into Third. This method can be fast, but it's very jerky and prone to the 'more haste, less speed' syndrome.

3. Apply plenty of throttle, surge forward in First, keep surging long past the point where you should be in Second, then optionally (a) go directly into Third, or (b) change quickly and awkwardly into Second, then change quickly and awkwardly into Third. Not nice.

4. Start off in Second. Can achive some quite fast starts like this, but probably destroys your clutch.

Any thoughts welcome. Yeah, this may be a stupid or obvious question, but it's being asked in the spirit of 'I would rather have teh p1ss taken out of me and learn something than keep schtum and learn nowt'.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
when i lost my map, it was like put your foot down in 1st wait till 2500rpm and boom the turbo kicks in 163 model, when remapped i allways give about 2-3k revs then let go on a dry day boom shes gone but on a wet one, hell of a lot wheel spin, the ornage light flashes alot, i think you need 1st gear 2nd is too high, maybe someone else thinks otherwise
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
I get the revs up to about 2500, slip the clutch a tad and then floor it, quick into second almost without taking foot of accelerator and into third trying to stay below 3750 rpms.

Pretty hard mind, unless it perfectly dry (still have RFTs on and so quick starts in anything but dry are a mess)

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
This question has arisen once again, in my mind, in relation to the current CDV and 'clutch judder' threads: how do you achieve a quick (and preferably smooth) start from a standstill, at a traffic light or intersection for example?

I have always found, in diesels especially, there is a certain amount of hurried if not frantic gear-changing, to get from static up into 3rd gear. And of course this is made worse by juddery clutches and/or problems cause by the CDV and/or overly notchy second gear shifts.

Some methods I have used, and their pros & cons:

1. Obviously, you can start off nice and slow, let the process of moving off in First run its course, then change slowly into Second, then you begin to accelerate, and eventually - while that Vauxhall NOva in front of you recedes - you will be able to get into Third and begin to really drive.

2. Apply plenty of throttle, surge forward in First, then frantically change quickly and awkwardly into Second, keeping up the throttle until you can get into Third. This method can be fast, but it's very jerky and prone to the 'more haste, less speed' syndrome.

3. Apply plenty of throttle, surge forward in First, keep surging long past the point where you should be in Second, then optionally (a) go directly into Third, or (b) change quickly and awkwardly into Second, then change quickly and awkwardly into Third. Not nice.

4. Start off in Second. Can achive some quite fast starts like this, but probably destroys your clutch.

Any thoughts welcome. Yeah, this may be a stupid or obvious question, but it's being asked in the spirit of 'I would rather have teh p1ss taken out of me and learn something than keep schtum and learn nowt'.

I've not driven the e90 320d, but I always tended to 'short shift' from first to second in my e46 320cd.

I found that, unless you timed it perfectly, it was easy to fluff the upshift if you held onto 1st for too long.

Better to pull away sharply in first, shift to second almost immediately, then power away.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I've not driven the e90 320d, but I always tended to 'short shift' from first to second in my e46 320cd.

I found that, unless you timed it perfectly, it was easy to fluff the upshift if you held onto 1st for too long.

Better to pull away sharply in first, shift to second almost immediately, then power away.
Yep, that my approch, qucik 1st -> 2nd, the hold 2nd a tad longer before into 3rd..... but seeing as you've not got much RPMs to play within the Ds you can't hold thegears that long anyway.

I also find leaning forward and gripping the wheel tighter adds a wee bit more 'oooomph'.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post
Yep, that my approch, qucik 1st -> 2nd, the hold 2nd a tad longer before into 3rd..... but seeing as you've not got much RPMs to play within the Ds you can't hold thegears that long anyway.

I also find leaning forward and gripping the wheel tighter adds a wee bit more 'oooomph'.

In less powerful cars (like Mrs NFS's VW Polo) jumping up and down in your seat with your foot welded to the floor also seems to help.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post

Oh yeah, obviously I do that all the time
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

3K rpm, dump the clutch, flat shift into 2nd and 3rd and 4th. Everytime.

Wonder who bought my E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Well ever after my juddering problem, I tend to get the clutch up first and just before I have released the clutch pedal fully I hit the power. This normally leaves most drivers in a cloud of tyre smoke... and me if I have to top down...

I really need this CDV thing fixed!!
Appreciate 0