E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Kicker SSMB8 to ??????

02-05-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Kicker SSMB8 to ??????

Currently have the Kicker SSMB8 under the seats powered by a JL HD600 at 150w/channel. Tuned through the Helix DSP. I think they provide a lot of bass and sound pretty accurate but actually have nothing to compare them to.

Wondering has anyone run these woofers and then switched to something else and can compare? Thanks.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also curious but never felt the need to switch myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Hello Tai - are you also running the Kickers? I have been for a few years now. Mostly because I remember Technic talking highly about them and they were able to be picked up pretty cheap. And giving them ample power and being able to tune with the dsp - can get them looking great on an rta curve blending into my morel component set. I run them LP at 200 HZ with the mids high passed at 180. Have also time aligned each woofer/mid combo at 200hz and they really sound like 1 speaker.

it is probably mostly boredom, or just all the great reviews i hear about the other woofers, Jehnerts, German Maestros, Etons etc, that had me thinking am i missing out on something musically magical about the other woofers running these rugged Kickers? In the end I probably won't do anything different unless I came across a great deal on one of these highly touted sets.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
Hello Tai - are you also running the Kickers? I have been for a few years now. Mostly because I remember Technic talking highly about them and they were able to be picked up pretty cheap. And giving them ample power and being able to tune with the dsp - can get them looking great on an rta curve blending into my morel component set. I run them LP at 200 HZ with the mids high passed at 180. Have also time aligned each woofer/mid combo at 200hz and they really sound like 1 speaker.

it is probably mostly boredom, or just all the great reviews i hear about the other woofers, Jehnerts, German Maestros, Etons etc, that had me thinking am i missing out on something musically magical about the other woofers running these rugged Kickers? In the end I probably won't do anything different unless I came across a great deal on one of these highly touted sets.
Yes. I feel exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I'm happy with Jehnerts and Morels, but I haven't tried other underseat subs to compare other than stock logic 7. Try lowering your crossover point to 150hz.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

running the morels hp at 150 or 180 would be insignificant change given the rta that i have witnessed with those speakers. why put undue stress on them when the underseats play in that region so well, also when you time align the underseat to each side mid, all the base comes from up front anyway. no need to force those puny 4" speakers do something that weren't really meant to.

c'mon you ex kicker users... who switched from these SSMB8 to something else?

Last edited by cdgatti; 02-07-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

cmon guys share your experience
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
cmon guys share your experience
I think the only other person to have run them alongside others is technique and he has been noticeably absent recently
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

yea you're probably right. well that's probably a good thing then, if you, me and Technic have chosen to use them and others have too but no one changed out for something else, then that is a pretty good endorsement for the kickers!
Appreciate 0