F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F3X clutch spring removal tutorial<3
Studio RSR

10-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
F3X clutch spring removal tutorial<3

Hey guys I got the chance to remove the clutch spring out of my F30 328I the night before last and as I was searching for a tutorial for our models specifically, I couldn't find one, So I read one on 2addicts which was a little different than our chassis. After reading it and walking outside to do it I decided I would take some photo's and do a write-up for our chassis's specifically. this is what I came up with

TOOLS NEEDED!
A T30
A 10mm socket and Rachet
A pick (you must have a pick) no getting around it.
those are the must have's, you'll want to have some misc tools around as well. Flathead, pliers, etc. I had to use pliers to get the top pin out.

First things first, If you are a Big guy this might be kind of difficult to do. the working space is really really tight and you'll be very uncomfortable for most the process lol. on a scale from 1 to 10 I'd say it's about a 4. It's not terribly difficult but like I said it's a tough spot to work in.

OK so I dont know how to separate the photo's on here and write the text under each one so all photo's will be at the bottom but I'll explain thoroughly and you'll have the photos at the bottom for reference.

LET GET STARTED!

Start by removing the two T30 torx screws under you steering wheel in the lower dash area. they will not come out once loosened, The Airbag keeps them in place. Once you've done that you can pull it down but dont try to yank it out as their are wires and connectors you'll need to remove, unplug the obd2, the speaker, and the light. (photo's) I wouldn't unplug the AIRBAG. You will need to remove the AIRBAG from the section of the lower dash you just removed to get it out so you can get in there to work. this is simple, dont let it intimidate you because its an airbag, its 2 10mm bolts then the airbag will come free, be careful not to lose the 2 T30 screws now that they will be free. prop the airbag straight up so you can now work around it and now remove the lower dash section to get behind the clutch. you should be able to get under there now and see the spring you are removing. Now get your pick, you will see the circlip at the bottom pretty easily and should be able to remove it easily, once you've successfully removed the bottom circlip go for the top, I had some trouble here. IT IS A TIGHT FIT! once you remove the circlip and go to take the pin out, once again dont get discouraged, it will come out! once you've removed both circlips now you can pull the spring out. Again this is also a snug fit. Your not going to be able to just grab it, you'll have to show some force. once you get the spring out reverse all the steps here. But remember! The 2 t30's that the airbag holds in place! dont forget them when reinstalling the airbag, plug everything back in that you've unplugged. the obd, the speaker and the light. your good to go! welcome to feeling your clutch more! since the photos will be somewhat separate if you have any questions feel FREE!!
Attached Images

BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/

Last edited by FastActionJax; 10-05-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

You don't have to remove the airbag or the OBD2 connector .. I didn't mess with that at all, just popped the 2 10mm off and removed the kick panel. I suppose removing those may make it a little easier to poke around up there though, but it's definitely not needed.

After 3 days of driving with this part out it is for sure an improvement. As others have said you can feel where the clutch is a little better.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
You don't have to remove the airbag or the OBD2 connector .. I didn't mess with that at all, just popped the 2 10mm off and removed the kick panel. I suppose removing those may make it a little easier to poke around up there though, but it's definitely not needed.

After 3 days of driving with this part out it is for sure an improvement. As others have said you can feel where the clutch is a little better.
Good note for sure! I personally wouldnt have risked doing it without removing those items because its such a tight work space and those items were so easy to remove. My top pin was difficult to remove so I'm glad I did. If you can do it without it heck yeah! but the choice is there at least
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm confused about something. This spring pulls the clutch pedal back up towards the driver right? So when you depress the clutch pedal, this spring acts as a force against your foot, so you have to press harder because of this spring...right?

So why am I reading that the clutch is STIFFER after removing this spring? Shouldn't the clutch feel lighter???
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm confused about something. This spring pulls the clutch pedal back up towards the driver right? So when you depress the clutch pedal, this spring acts as a force against your foot, so you have to press harder because of this spring...right?

So why am I reading that the clutch is STIFFER after removing this spring? Shouldn't the clutch feel lighter???
I wouldnt say it's a stupid question, Their are so many different opinions out there of what this does. I wouldnt say the clutch stiffness changes at all by doing this, it only seems to increase clutch "feel" since you are no longer being misguided by the feel of the spring. but clutch was the same "stiffness" before the spring was uninstalled and after.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      06-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Finally removed the spring! I have the UCP, CDV delete, lots of clutch stop spacers, and now the clutch finally feels like a normal sports car clutch. Removing the spring does not make the clutch heavier. Weight is the same, just easier to get consistent shifts because you're feeling the clutch, not the spring. Car is more fun to drive. If anything, clutch weight is slightly more linear, as opposed to light-heavy-light.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
saeedjaved
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Thanks for this!
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00