E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Valeter has crashed my 335D Before I even picked it up!

11-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Svothe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335D

Valeter has crashed my 335D Before I even picked it up!

Here is what I put up about 1 week ago as I left the deposit on my 335D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svothe View Post
Hi Guys, Just purchased a 2007 (Feb 07 so on a 56 plate) E92 335D this is my third car, but first bmw and pretty eagerly anticipating its arrival. (Hopefully this weekend!) From my walk around the car at the dealers it looks MINT. Couldn't find a single mark on the car anywhere. Very impressed to say the least. Deposit paid letting them do all the final running around and then hopefully picking it up this weekend. Excited would be understatement of the year. I paid just short of £11k with full BMW history, 60k miles, heated front leather seats, blue tooth hands free and a few other bits and bobs. Original bill of sale was £37,800 so don't think I did too bad picking it up for just shy of £11k. I'm 20 by the way as well, which makes me even happier to know I'm going to be driving this monster around.

Now today I've had a call from the garage I'm buying the car from with the guy sounding rather gutted down the phone. Basically what has happened is he dropped the car off to get valeted, while he was away the valeter took it upon themself to take the car for a spin and successfully managed to crash it into various things. So now I'm stuck. I've put the deposit down on the car and its been crashed. He's offered me the deposit back in full, or that he can repair the car and I would pay a lower bill or that he can source me another car of similar spec.

The issue I have is this was a 2007 335D SE with 60k miles, 1 owner and full BMW history. Paintwork was immaculate, leather seats, parking sensors front and rear, heated seats etc.. The spec was perfect, the mileage perfect, owners perfect etc.. The whole car was immaculate. Now what should I do? Just having a quick shop around I can't find a car with even near that spec and mileage for the price I was looking to pay. Any ideas? anyone been in a similar situation?

Regards,
H
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Get your money back for the time being and start searching.
I spent nearly 6 months to have what I wanted!
Tell the garage that if they can get similar spec car, ring you (after having your deposit back).
      11-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
Svothe
Private First Class
Rep

The thing is Makkan, its already been 1 week without a car and its costing me inordinate amounts of money to get to work each day without one as I commute 50 miles and its not the easiest journey by train as I live in the countryside. So its a £20 taxi to train station, £15 ticket on the train then the same on the return trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Wow that is unfortunate.

Whether to keep it depends on the damage done. Personally I'd not buy it unless it was a bumper or few scratches.

Get yourself a banger for the meantime or a Mondeo and keep searching.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

DWS Valeting as per the photo with their van in the background?

Why would a mobile valeter have a need to take a car out for a spin?

Sounds a bit dodgey to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

so if they repair it etc u can have it at a lower cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
fuck the lower cost!....get your money back quickly!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
paulf61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d coupe

Depending on how bad the damage is, I'd suggest keeping it if it ticks all the boxes and you feel that it will be difficult to find another like it.

If you do decide to keep it, I'd suggest that they provide pictures of the damage for your own reference along with a breakdown of what repairs were carried out, again for your own piece of mind.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it completely depends on the severity of the damage.

Think of it like this, you could spend another 3 months trying to find one of a similar spec, probably not quite what you're after.. buy it and think it's hunky dory.

Reality is the next car that is HPI clear could quite easily have suffered the same if not worse damage, remember if a car is repaired but not written off, it is not recorded and no-one need know.

Personally I would ask to see the extent of the damage. If they can have it repaired professionally and lower the price I would certainly go for it. At least that way you know what the damage was, rather than hoping the next car has never been damaged.

Truth is you have no way of telling if any car on the road has been damaged before unless the repair job is poor. I would put a decent amount of money that there are members on here who don't realise their cars have been in accidents & repaired through insurance, thinking a HPI check means it's never been crashed!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

How serious is the damage? reversed into a bollard or managed into a tree?
i would be dubious of the offer of a lower price after its been fixed. If its fixed outside of an insurance claim corners maybe cut and if its had that bad a shunt you may end up paying for it in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
Svothe
Private First Class
Rep

Basically he said the bloke has been hit up the rear and its gone to the insurance to get looked at. I have just found one of very similar spec bit higher mileage but better colour and leathers.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...e-2006/3018079

So I might try to shoot down to Brighton tomorrow and see if I can take that one off his hands. Will see however.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

How do you know that one hasn't had the same damage, if not worse?

This is what I mean, there is no way to tell if that car has been damaged if it was repaired & not written off.

Personally, I'd ask them to email a photo of the damage and if it doesn't look bad, ask for a courtesy car until a professional/insurance repair is completed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Svothe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
How do you know that one hasn't had the same damage, if not worse?

This is what I mean, there is no way to tell if that car has been damaged if it was repaired & not written off.

Personally, I'd ask them to email a photo of the damage and if it doesn't look bad, ask for a courtesy car until a professional/insurance repair is completed.
I know, thats true but I just think it would be always in the bank of my mind that I know the car has been damaged. I've crashed and repaired a few motorbikes in my time and even though they were always back to brand new I could never quite get them to feel the same after an accident.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svothe View Post
I know, thats true but I just think it would be always in the bank of my mind that I know the car has been damaged. I've crashed and repaired a few motorbikes in my time and even though they were always back to brand new I could never quite get them to feel the same after an accident.
why are you buying SE with 11k and no satnav? baffles me. youve got m sport 335d money in your hand and you choose to spend on over priced SE

M sport will have more miles for the price but you can probably find satnav spec too for the price
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't understand why you are so obsessed with a built in satnav raj? I didn't even think about a sat nav when I purchased mine, I have a garmin so why would I need a second satnav?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Id get money back personally
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:
I can't understand why you are so obsessed with a built in satnav raj? I didn't even think about a sat nav when I purchased mine, I have a garmin so why would I need a second satnav?
I imagine it's more the iDrive system as a whole; it's not just a satnav it's the centre of the whole cars infotainment system and even if you never use the nav it makes the interior of the car so much nicer to look at with the extra bulge in the dash and a big screen to make accessing your music so much nicer.

I barely ever use my nav but there is no way I'd ever buy an E9x without iDrive.
      11-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
no disrespect but you may of not thought about it because you never had the funds to buy an LCI with built in nav at the time? if you had chance to buy same car for same price one had satnav and one didnt. we both know what you would choose/ im not obsessed with satnav tbh, i dont get why if you have money for a car that can get you satnav and m sport why settle for less when you can buy same in better spec? satnav will always win on selling point

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
I imagine it's more the iDrive system as a whole; it's not just a satnav it's the centre of the whole cars infotainment system and even if you never use the nav it makes the interior of the car so much nicer to look at with the extra bulge in the dash and a big screen to make accessing your music so much nicer.

I barely ever use my nav but there is no way I'd ever buy an E9x without iDrive.
exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

get your money back , for the paint reason alone , its never the same after its left the factory
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
no disrespect but you may of not thought about it because you never had the funds to buy an LCI with built in nav at the time? if you had chance to buy same car for same price one had satnav and one didnt. we both know what you would choose/ im not obsessed with satnav tbh, i dont get why if you have money for a car that can get you satnav and m sport why settle for less when you can buy same in better spec? satnav will always win on selling point

exactly.
X2 I wouldn't buy one without the idrive
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

This sucks, I'm sorry to hear it... As per comments above, I'd find out what the damage is - it could be minor. Anything more than minor and I'd get the money back, get a banger to keep you getting to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
get your money back , for the paint reason alone , its never the same after its left the factory
Disagree with your comment old chap, i know some Bloody good sprayers who get a BETTER finish than factory finish.

My take on this sorry storyis: Until you know the damage you can't make an educated decision. Once known then you will be able to make that decision easier. Have a second opinion, and not from a forum