F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Type of All Seasons Come from Factory on the 320i? Question for 3 Series Owers w/ AS
Extreme Powerhouse

12-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Type of All Seasons Come from Factory on the 320i? Question for 3 Series Owers w/ AS

My '14 320i w/sport package is currently in production and as I wait for the car to finally arrive, I am contemplating tires/wheels. I wasn't/am not a fan of either of the wheel options for the 320. Neither do much for me, the 396 or 398.. I went with the all season because I'm not a big fan of staggered set up although I know some RWD purists say it's a 'must', (I don't track the car or anything), I like extended tread life and make some trips to Big Bear etc. during the winter etc. I had Conti DWS on my GTI and loved them. Best tire I ever had. But I don't really want to spark a tire debate per se, just need some info and advice from current owners.

My questions are these:

Is anyone with a 320 or a 328 running all seasons from factory? If so, or if not, does anyone know what all-seasons RF's come on the car from factory?

I'm debating on what to do when I take delivery of the car. If the factory A/S are garbage, I don't want to spend the life of the lease on crap tires. I'd rather get some bridgestone potenza RE860 Pole Positions ahead of time, have them mounted on the car that week and just sell the stock factory tires or something brand new. Other alternative is running summers even though the set up isn't staggered.

I'm not a tire expert so I'd love to hear some opinions from guys with 320 or 328 running all seasons. Or if I should just get good summer run flats same size all around and run those so I can at least rotate them and not burn through 2 at a time.

Final note, I won't track the car and mainly drive around LA with some backroad driving but mainly normal city/hwy etc. so I don't need to hear from the track star bros about how I am some kind of pony for running on all seasons vs. a summer/staggered set up, but I'd love to hear from the track star bros if they have some factual knowledge to impart.

Thanks guys.

BTW: I guess I'd be basing my decision on this review

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=164

On a side note, also looking into fairly inexpensive wheel options for the 18"s vs. the star spoke 396's...

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 12-28-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
UltimateB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I have a 2013 328i xDrive with the factory all seasons. They are 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7's RFTs.

I'm by no means a tire expert either but to me they feel really hard, but I think RFT's are harder in general because of how they are made. They seem to handle ok, but I do a lot of city driving, with a lot of stop and go traffic. I got my car late this year so I never really had a chance yet to take it out on a drive out of the city to see how it handles on the highway at higher speeds.

Last edited by UltimateB; 12-28-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
My '14 320i w/sport package is currently in production and as I wait for the car to finally arrive, I am contemplating tires/wheels. I wasn't/am not a fan of either of the wheel options for the 320. Neither do much for me, the 396 or 398.. I went with the all season because I'm not a big fan of staggered set up although I know some RWD purists say it's a 'must', (I don't track the car or anything), I like extended tread life and make some trips to Big Bear etc. during the winter etc. I had Conti DWS on my GTI and loved them. Best tire I ever had. But I don't really want to spark a tire debate per se, just need some info and advice from current owners.
. . . . .
If you drive on the factory 18's with the car and it's leased you'll get a surprise when you return the car. The dealer will replace the tires and you'll pay for them (at dealership prices) unless you bought lease guard (or whatever BMW calls their lease warranty program). The cost of lease guard is about what you'd pay for a set of tires.

A suggestion would be to replace the current run-your-wallet-flat tires with something else while the tires are still kind of new. Swap back when you return the car and either re-use or sell the replacements. A suggestion: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=Base%20Model

I also share your opinion on the Continentals. I had the ExtremeContact DWs and they were fantastic, abet somewhat short lived. Those tires were quiet and had awesome grip. They too would be good candidates for a replacement tire.

As for the Michelins, you won't believe the grip those things have in the rain. They are very good in the rain.

Are Michelins really 10, 20, 30% better than the number 2 tire? Maybe not but I have yet to find any user of the Pilot Super Sport that had anything but praise for those tires.

FYI, the Pilot Super Sports are not run-flats. Carry a bottle of that green goo that patches tires in the event you get a flat.

Want to upgrade your car's handling? Get a great set of tires. It will make a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Jvee90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2008 335i sedan

some possible A/S RFTs that came from factory: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ACCESSORIES/TIRES/RUN-FLAT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
If you drive on the factory 18's with the car and it's leased you'll get a surprise when you return the car. The dealer will replace the tires and you'll pay for them (at dealership prices) unless you bought lease guard (or whatever BMW calls their lease warranty program). The cost of lease guard is about what you'd pay for a set of tires.

A suggestion would be to replace the current run-your-wallet-flat tires with something else while the tires are still kind of new. Swap back when you return the car and either re-use or sell the replacements. A suggestion: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=Base%20Model

I also share your opinion on the Continentals. I had the ExtremeContact DWs and they were fantastic, abet somewhat short lived. Those tires were quiet and had awesome grip. They too would be good candidates for a replacement tire.

As for the Michelins, you won't believe the grip those things have in the rain. They are very good in the rain.

Are Michelins really 10, 20, 30% better than the number 2 tire? Maybe not but I have yet to find any user of the Pilot Super Sport that had anything but praise for those tires.

FYI, the Pilot Super Sports are not run-flats. Carry a bottle of that green goo that patches tires in the event you get a flat.

Want to upgrade your car's handling? Get a great set of tires. It will make a noticeable difference.
Must be a canada thing. I was told as long as you return the car with 2/32 treadwear that there is no charge

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think id get the DWs and carry a little 24v air pump and patch kit
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
UltimateB
Private
Canada
Rep

For winters I got non-RFT's and I have a compressor and slime in the trunk. Got this from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Sa...+tire+inflator
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Nice. Which wheels did you guys get with the 18s and all seasons? I wonder if I could just run the 17s with a/s that come on the base 320i. I think those wheels look better than the choices that come with the 320 sport package. Wheel conundrum
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
UltimateB
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Which wheels did you guys get with the 18s and all seasons? I wonder if I could just run the 17s with a/s that come on the base 320i. I think those wheels look better than the choices that come with the 320 sport package. Wheel conundrum
Mine is the luxury line, I think it's style 416. I think they look too busy, which I why I put my winters on these and will pick up a new set of wheels for the all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Must be a canada thing. I was told as long as you return the car with 2/32 treadwear that there is no charge

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think id get the DWs and carry a little 24v air pump and patch kit
There is a similar minimum treadwear limitation in Canada as well. That said I had no issues when I returned my old E90 after 4 years, although I do run a separate set of winter tires/wheels which does limit the mileage on the stock all seasons.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

I'll prob just run the stock tires into the ground and just turn it in, unless they really suck at which point I'll prob get a set of non rf
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

A 320 I know of came with Bridgestone Turanza run flats. I run these on my 328 Msport as winters and they are perfectly fine.
Other 320 come with Pirelli cinturato which are supposedly better in snow.
I really like stock Msport bridgestones s002 staggered 18s They are sticky and corner great.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

I just don't really like the wheels. I'll see in person if I can hang but if not I'm better off doing a takeoff and getting wheels/tires on CL or forum or whatever and then store the factory wheels. The factory wheel 320 options suck
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
QTC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 320i; B6 A4 1.8T

My 320i came with the Bridgestone Potenza S001's (18" staggered) - they're great. For the colder weather (I'd say winter weather, but NoVA tends to not really see snow), I picked up a set of 17" take-offs from a 328 - they have the Michelin Primacy A/S' on it. While the tires are in good shape and get the job done, they suck. Louder than the Potenza's, (obviously) less grip, and way more sidewall flex/floaty-feeling than I would have expected. Granted, its been years since I've owned a car with all-seasons, but the Pirelli A/S on my girlfriend's GTI are much better than these.

If you're in an area that doesn't see cold weather frequently, I'd swap out the OEM tires with Pilot Super Sports ($$) or Conti DW's ($) for the lease, and then put the OEM's back on to turn the car in. I run DW's on my Audi - they're a great tire for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

The problem is I don't like the wheels. So it seems silly to have the factory tires removed, new ones put on, balanced and then done again at lease end. Easier just to find a set of used take offs. The DW and DWS are great tires. My favorite of the 320i wheels are just the ones that come on the 17s. Ideally I'd get the dealer to let me do a swap for the probably cheaper 17s off another 320 and then id at least like the wheels. I mentioned it to the dealer and he's not into the idea. Conundrum.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 01-01-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

As menacers stated, my factory 'run-your-wallet-flat' tires only lasted about 14,000 miles before I had to replace them, so you may want to hang on to them if you do end up getting something else. These were Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR max-performance summer tires so maybe the all-seasons are better, but I swapped mine out for a set of *non* run-flat potenza's and will never look back.

Last edited by inChargeOfIT; 01-02-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

runflat potenzas or non-runflat? Because yeah, the issue seems two-fold. Sounds like getting a good set of non RF summers would be the way to go. If I could live with the wheels and be non staggered a set of DWs would last quite a bit longer due to being able to rotate them and I think they're quite a bit less $ than a set of good RFs..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
runflat potenzas or non-runflat? Because yeah, the issue seems two-fold. Sounds like getting a good set of non RF summers would be the way to go. If I could live with the wheels and be non staggered a set of DWs would last quite a bit longer due to being able to rotate them and I think they're quite a bit less $ than a set of good RFs..
Sorry.. *non* run flats. I actually got Potenza RE760 Sport's for my stock 18" sport wheels because. Coming from the very loud SSR run-flats they are very quiet, a ton more comfortable, and they handle great once they get warmed up. Sticky enough to handle any twisty roads I drive but I do not drive in ice or snow and it has not rained on me yet, so I cannot comment on that.

I do plan on getting wheels (either a track day set or just some nice looking 19") and may go more aggressive with the rubber then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

The choices and options are endless really. It annoys me to no end that if you choose the sport package on the 320 that you have two crappy wheel choices. I think in Europe you can get what's called the 'turbine' wheel on the 320 which look better. I'm not some bling flashy wheel guy. I kept my Detroits on my GTI which a lot of people swap out right away, I don't really care that much. But the star spoke 398 are just so busy and not in a good way. They bum me out. If I could live with them I'd mostly just get a set of conti dw to run non staggered and just keep the oe tires to out back on at lease end.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I actually like the looks of the 398's. You would be surprised at home much better the car looks with some lowering springs and some spacers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

I was at the dealer yesterday and what did I see in the service valet area but a brand new silver 335i with the star spoke wheels. Never seen those on a 335. They look much better in person. I think they look better on a silver car though, vs. the black I ordered but oh well. The car looked new, think it was a 2014 and the tires were Pirelli A/S runflats of some kind, which would be fine probably.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

The way most salespeople talk it seems you can do no wrong to your current car if you agree to buy another one. This is my first lease car. Anyone have this 'experience' where you get the Bejesus scared out of you about your rent-a-car until you suddenly say the magic words "I want another one" whereby it seems you could bring it back from a smash-up derby and no one says anything. No. Really?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #22
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
The way most salespeople talk it seems you can do no wrong to your current car if you agree to buy another one. This is my first lease car. Anyone have this 'experience' where you get the Bejesus scared out of you about your rent-a-car until you suddenly say the magic words "I want another one" whereby it seems you could bring it back from a smash-up derby and no one says anything. No. Really?
I've heard this from a lot of people I know who lease Bimmers. BMW wants you to get into leasing BMWs for life. My friend's dad has leased a new BMW every 3 years for like 15 years. They treat him really well, he gets a better deal every time and he has never paid a dime at lease return time or dealt with any unpleasantness because he always has the new one on order. Always gets a black one and it always comes back with little scratches and dings and curb rash.. They extend his lease too just as long as it takes for his new one to come in so he's never without a car. White glove service. And anyway, you're not renting it by leasing it. You're financing the car just like any auto loan but you're only financing the depreciation, not the entire value + sales tax and everything else. You always have the option to buy it at lease end, etc and depending on the residual vs. the true market value, it may or may not be a good deal to do so.
Appreciate 0