M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Mishimoto Intercoolers Hitting the Dyno?

Screenshots of some video clips from Mishimoto IG story.
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
crazyinp298.00
      07-13-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Seems like there will post some data soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I have my eyes on their engineering blog and my fingers crossed.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
They have published another article on their Engineering Blog. They are definitely getting dyno tested so hopefully we will see something soon.

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...-mmint-f10-12/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Wow, biggest core volume increase out of all companies. This is interesting 👀
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I am interested to know if there is going to be a significant increase in internal area. If I understand the scenario properly there can be a loss of kinetic energy when volume increases. I hope they can share numbers on pressure on ingress and egress.

This is not my area of expertise by any measure but curious if you increase volume while also increasing the number of bar tubing and cooling fins to occupy the space would egress pressure be maintained.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 10:47 PM   #7
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Would be interesting to see some stock numbers of the pressure drop due to the larger volume. As I am not planning to get custom tune, this will actually hurt more than getting benefit. I might be wrong. But definitely would be nice to see some competition
to CSF which is actually doing the R&D
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 11:02 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I have been trying to post questions to their blog but their firewall doesn't like our WAN IP where I work and unfortunately I live at work for about 2 to 3 moths at a time. I did email their sales folks and have my fingers crossed that they respond and accept the invite to stop by the M5 Forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Not sure how much I'd believe from them. Their e46 M3 radiator claimed 32% increase in coolant surface area, 15% increase in air surface area, 25% increase in coolant capacity yet didn't make any difference to my coolant temps at all. It was a decent made product, and came in fancy packaging if I remember correctly, but didn't give any real world improvements at all.

I'm sure the new F10 charge coolers and oil cooler will be of reasonable quality, but can't see them yielding and huge benefits personally.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #10
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Not sure how much I'd believe from them. Their e46 M3 radiator claimed 32% increase in coolant surface area, 15% increase in air surface area, 25% increase in coolant capacity yet didn't make any difference to my coolant temps at all. It was a decent made product, and came in fancy packaging if I remember correctly, but didn't give any real world improvements at all.

I'm sure the new F10 charge coolers and oil cooler will be of reasonable quality, but can't see them yielding and huge benefits personally.
Appreciate your sharing the product experience with the intercoolers. We use a lot of their products in our diesel pickups and in a couple of gasser cars but mostly radiators, oil coolers and such.

I'll primarily be getting intercoolers to have some post intercooler ports for WMI as I don't want to install into the charge pipes and doing it post throttle body is practically non starter.

I live in the hot subtropic belt of Florida and feel like WMI is gonna be my long term best bet. Hoping to make some tanks when I get home to fit in the air box area for the Water-Meth solution. Since I have the RK CF intakes I have a lot of space open now on the left and right side where the airboxes were.

All that said. I don't want to have my turbos working overtime just to keep boost. I know CSF, RkAutowerks, Evolve Tuning have already done a lot of work on the CSF coolers and have nothing against going that route. The timing of the mishimoto product release was too darn close to my pulling the trigger on the CSF coolers.
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      07-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't think any of those would just lower your overall temp, once thermostat opens, my expectation is that won't heat soak and the larger capacity and cooling area would keep the car at that temp.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:18 AM   #12
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
I don't think any of those would just lower your overall temp, once thermostat opens, my expectation is that won't heat soak and the larger capacity and cooling area would keep the car at that temp.
That car had the 55ºc motorsport thermostat and still used to run hot on track. I can't remember how hot now, but more than I'd have liked. "Upgrading" to the Mishi rad didn't make any difference. Fitting a custom made rad did bring temps down in the end to a level I was happier with. I guess I'm just saying don't expect miracles! Back onto this posts topic, none of the existing aftermarket S63 charge coolers make hardly any difference on their own, they just look better and have the advantage of having meth ports. I'm sure the quality of the Mishimoto coolers will be good.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
That car had the 55ºc motorsport thermostat and still used to run hot on track. I can't remember how hot now, but more than I'd have liked. "Upgrading" to the Mishi rad didn't make any difference. Fitting a custom made rad did bring temps down in the end to a level I was happier with. I guess I'm just saying don't expect miracles! Back onto this posts topic, none of the existing aftermarket S63 charge coolers make hardly any difference on their own, they just look better and have the advantage of having meth ports. I'm sure the quality of the Mishimoto coolers will be good.
That make sense. Wonder if made any difference, as took longer to heat soak as before. By no means I am getting this because I have a problem. Honestly haven't taken the M5 to the track yet so probably won't have pre and post data, but plan to log some data and see how it goes.
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      07-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #14
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
none of the existing aftermarket S63 charge coolers make hardly any difference on their own, they just look better and have the advantage of having meth ports.
I disagree - especially with my own way of testing new modifications and their benefits or lack there of. Will upgraded charge coolers yield stock to stage 1 tune differences, no. However that’s not what they’re intended to do. They’re suppose to keep the car running at it’s peak power more consistently. And if you’re someone who enjoys back to back pulls, or “spirited driving,” they’re worth it as you will notice that the car does not die off nearly as much. 60-130 pulls (and a lot of them) is how I came to my conclusion. With stock coolers, on back to back to back etc. 60-130 runs my times would drop off a good .5 second by the end of the day. With upgraded coolers added (no meth at the time) at most I would see .2 second drop off. But it was not rare for times to stay consistent or even in some cases, improve. Now if you’re a track enthusiast, maybe the benefit decreases, I’m not sure. But for what most people intend to use their m5/6’s for, it’s worth it. .3 seconds may seem minimal but not if you were racing someone on that same 60-130 run.

Lastly to anyone on stock coolers planning to upgrade; Pop your hood and touch the coolers with your hand after driving it hard. Do the same after you upgrade them and report back.

Last edited by Flo1989; 07-26-2022 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

I just want to see before and after IAT and dyno numbers on a hot day.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #16
R8TTEDR
Rep
Drives: X540i

Anybody tried the BMS intercoolers? Looks like they're a fraction of the cost and pretty much the same thing:

https://burgertuning.com/products/s6...7fcdda5c&_ss=r
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #17
Urameshi.Ibn.F10M5
Rep

@R8TTEDR

I was JUST looking at those, tbh I might bite the bullet and try and grab them. If I remember correctly the conspiracy is that all these stores/shops get the same product from a manufacturer in China and just slap their logo on it. $699 is almost worth the risk for science lol
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #18
R8TTEDR
Rep
Drives: X540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urameshi.Ibn.F10M5 View Post
@R8TTEDR

I was JUST looking at those, tbh I might bite the bullet and try and grab them. If I remember correctly the conspiracy is that all these stores/shops get the same product from a manufacturer in China and just slap their logo on it. $699 is almost worth the risk for science lol
Thinking to do the same for that price. I'd assume anything is better than stock at this point and they look pretty classy too. Gonna bite the bullet and get them.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 05:51 PM   #19
Urameshi.Ibn.F10M5
Rep

The crazy thing is I heard that charge coolers only drop temps by like 1-2 degrees. Hence why I just went with the mishimoto performance oil cooler, it’s definitely made a big difference. But charge coolers are still in my mind for some reason lol
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #20
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Some of the lower tier vendors that are importing them have had issues with internal leaking. I think folks like Mishi and CSF do a much better job of supporting the product via warranty.
Appreciate 0