F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Problem
GetBMWParts

05-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #45
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizanx View Post
I got new summer alloys and with 4 new aftermarket tpms sensors (36106881890) for my f36. It reset nicely and works fine for ≈1 hour, but then I get an error with "RDCi wheel electronics left front no reception", but after 1 minute or 2 it connects and works again. Did not have any issues with my winter wheels.

Should I replace the receiver?
Hmm, thought to switch the front wheels but then got a error on the right side before I had a chance.. "RDCi wheel electronics right front no reception"
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:32 AM   #46
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hmm, thought to switch the front wheels but then got a error on the right side before I had a chance.. "RDCi wheel electronics right front no reception"
for 30-45min of work and $80, i say do it.

it sounds like your TPMS are fine if they're pairing and working, but disconnecting intermittently, i wouldn't be surprised if your receiver's soldering or PCB is falling apart.

go to realoem, enter your vehicle info, go to "Vehicle electrical system", then "Control units, modules, sensors", then finally "Radio remote control receiver", plug in the main part number or the new part number into ECS, order, receive, take your trunk apart, unplug old one, plug in the new one, put your trunk back together. If you have a friend that works at BMW, have them buy it with employee discount, it cost me $80+tax for 1 day shipping.

I wanna thank BBri89, Tony Purdie, 2aroundtheworld and everyone who confirmed this is the receiver module for your TPM sensors, that it also receives the inputs from your key fob, and that it'll fix TPMS issues if you're already done the sensors for your wheels.

my story:
I've owned my 2016 435i GC for just over 2 months. I've had odd intermittent TPMS issues once or twice every 2 weeks; either malfunction or false reading that a tire is low. A reset TPMS procedure would take about 15-20min of driving, then I'm good for 2 weeks. Thought it was normal, thought BMW system is just sensitive.

This past Sunday - plans to hit the outdoor mall on a beautiful sunny day, TPMS Malfunction otw there, pull over, inspect all tires, reset TPMS procedure, takes 20mins to complete, but shows all tires green with PSI, but PSIs were all over the place; passenger side was 3-4psi higher than driver side tires. Otw home, i get the malfunction again, "shit" i says, pull over, inspect all tires again, proceed with reset procedure, gets stuck at 49% for 15min, then i hit a fat ass pothole on the highway only 2 exits from my home, and again, BONG "TPMS malfunction" (pure coincidence). I get home, unload the car, inspect my tires again, noticed that one of my RFT in passenger rear has a FAT ASS hole in the sidewall(but surprisingly holding air still lol) and passenger front has a nice bulge in the sidewall. "well shit" i says. ordered RE071RSs and new 433mhz plug and play aftermarket TPMSs from TireRack. Figured tires are old (from 2018) and the sensors are probably from then too, or are still the original from 2016, thought tires and TPMS would fix this TPMS malfunction issue.

Today, Thursday - drop off car early morning, picked up 2 hours later. Firestone says the new TPMS are plug and play, they states they put their TPMS tool to each one and the car should have no problem pairing, I just need to do the TPMS reset procedure. I'm super happy, the tires look amazing and aggressive and the $38 TPM sensors are truly plug and play. I double check PSIs in all 4 tires, release about 4psi from each tire because Firestone overinflated them, highest on one tire read 42psi WITH A COLD TIRE lol. start the car and start the reset procedure, begin my 5 mile drive home, and BONG "TPMS Malfunction" 2 miles in. "GREAT" i says. get home, unplug batt for 30min, check TPMS fuse, go for a test drive to run errands, BONG "TPMS Malfunction". "FUUUUCK!!!" now i'm getting upset lmao. Get back home, unload groceries, found this thread, tore apart the trunk, found the module, unplugged it, tried pushing buttons on my fob, confirmed it was the right module, found part # on realoem, called BMW dealer, asked for my brother's employee discount, $88 out the door, told them to order and expedite it, they said free next day delivery, i says "say no more, see you tomorrow".

will update tomorrow when the receiver module is in.
Appreciate 1
sizanx96.50
      06-09-2023, 12:43 AM   #47
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStock View Post
I just want to verify something before I see dealer again. I had new tires put on, getting TPS fault on iDrive. Took car back to place that put tires on. They had a reader they put on each valve stem, said right rear was not reading signal. I bought a new sensor.
I am having oil changed at Toyota dealer. (Our local BMW dealer has no competition and they are rude, slow unresponsive and incredibly over priced and I know the mechanic at Toyota very well but he is out for a bit)
Both Toyota and a Ford dealer said they can’t replace TPS in wheel because they can’t program it to the car. I explained that it should be plug and play. They disagreed.
Just want to verify that when I replace the TPS or TPM that the car will read the signal without re-programming.
Thank you for your time
They're just intimidated. Honestly, they can use a TPMS tool to see if your car's TPMS signal will take the aftermarket sensor; hold the sensor in hand, use the TPMS scan tool to check for signal/battery life, if the car's horn honks, it'll pair. That's just from my observations today at Firestone. I bribed them though; "If it doesn't pair, I'll pay you the $720 for your 4 'approved' sensors and return my $38/ea sensors."

Initially, the service writer said "i guess we'll just mount it all up and see what happens". i said "nope" and bribed him with the offer above lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:54 AM   #48
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukker View Post
I changed rims/tires with same size rims and unfortunately different size tires. Rims were BMW and as they came off a BMW x5, I thought it woud work for my F31 touring. Got the TPMS sensor light (expected) but when I went through the reset procedures, it now says TPMS monitor fault - contact service!

I've been going through the search results for TPMS but has anybody written the definitive troubleshooting guide for TPMS issues on F31s (mine's a 2015.)

TIA
BMWs are complicated and intimidating, but from what I understand poking around the forums, google, and my own car (a 16' F36):

DME(ECU) to BCM(Body Control Module) to Head Unit to TPMS Fuse in trunk to Receiver Module. From the Receiver Module, it's the TPM Sensors in your wheels. I might be waaaay off and waaay wrong. I apologize if I am, anyone out there, please correct me, I would appreciate the legit answer to this.

In terms of troubleshooting, depends what you have on hand; do you have spare parts you can swap? do you have a scanner; scan tool, bimmerlink, carly, etc?

me, personally: start easy; 1, scan the codes with a BMW scan tool. 2, fuse. 3 & 4, TPMS or Receiver Module. 5, the rest is really expensive; pay out of pocket, use an extended warranty, or just live with the annoying BONG and occasionally check your tire PSIs
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 05:52 AM   #49
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

junlikesf30s thanks, I'll do that. Where is the receiver in the F36 located in the trunk? Can' only find information for f30
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 11:44 AM   #50
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
junlikesf30s thanks, I'll do that. Where is the receiver in the F36 located in the trunk? Can' only find information for f30
looking from the back of the car, it's on the right side of the trunk/boot; for me in the US, it's the passenger side. it sits on top of the strut mount, in between the fuel filler and the strut that opens/closes the hatch

remove the floor board (pull up from middle to disconnect velcro, then slide out towards back of car), remove side pockets and floor boards (tool+first aid pocket and battery pocket), remove the center kickplate (the plastic bit with the brushed metal inserts), remove the plastic trim that surrounds the strut for the hatch (held in by spring loaded retainers, get a trim tool and pull outwards), finally remove all the trim plugs (remove center, then pull them out) for the side carpet, remove the emergency trunk latch and trunk light, then pull that carpet away.

from there, you should see the receiver resting on top of the strut, sandwiched by foam, and is held in place at 2 spots. there's one removable trim plug holding it there, remove that, then push the receiver up to release it (there's a trim plug molded into the center of the receiver as well). Use a needle nose plier to hold the plug while you pull on the receiver and it should just pop out.
Appreciate 1
sizanx96.50
      06-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #51
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

update:

the 434mhz receiver module is truly PLUG AND PLAY, no coding, no reprogramming keys, nothing.

i plugged it in, tested if my key fob lock/unlock buttons worked, put my trunk back together, took it for a 3.5mile drive, everything is good to go now. PSIs read correctly in all tires. the TPMS reset literally took less than 8min, and that was with traffic sitting at stoplights, so if i started it and hopped on the highway, i wouldn't be surprised if it gets done in less than 3min. incredible.

i was literally going to give my local BMW dealer $1100 to diagnose this issue. so glad i bumped into this thread. the part was actually $79.09, so $9 cheaper than i expected lol

Last edited by junlikesf30s; 06-10-2023 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:13 PM   #52
chester_mand
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCta View Post
This is just an update from my F32 2014. Replacing the radio module solved my issues, as for everyone else. My error codes were 48069E, 48071F, 4809EB, and a few others very irrelevant which disappeared after replacing the module.

I researched online a lot and found a manual which confirmed that F32 has the module in the same position as in the image posted by e30ua. If you want to see how to fully disassemble your car to get to it, this video is helpful:

For me, I was not confident to take it apart, so I went through the holes in the boot for the speakers, which I don't have. Pushed the unit from the boot up, and after started to work through the holes. There is barely any space, and hard to your hands, but after 10 min I was able to bring the unit to the holes and unplug it and plug in the new unit I got on ebay for £10 based on what compatible modules I saw on realoem.com.
The system still did not register it, so I reset the error through OBD and bimmerlink after everything worked.
The system no longer shows me percentages when resetting the RDC, before it used to count from 0% to 100%, now its just stuck at "the calculation will start when driving" or something like that, but I dont mind.
Thanks for the post AlexCta Billy_Bowes @e30ua!

I have the same TPMS issue on my F32 since the day i picked the car up along with the signalling problem with my key fob (can only lock & unlock in a very close distance).... I have been bashing my head against the wall as i found out it would cost me over £1xxx to get them fixed. The mechanist said they would need to remove the rear window, which would most likely break due to how intrusive the job will be.....
AlexCta, Billy_Bowes - How did you manage to get your hand through that tiny hole, unplugging and replacing the module? I can't even touch the module.... Any tips would be much appreciated!

Last edited by chester_mand; 06-26-2023 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 03:26 AM   #53
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester_mand View Post
Thanks for the post AlexCta Billy_Bowes @e30ua!

I have the same TPMS issue on my F32 since the day i picked the car up along with the signalling problem with my key fob (can only lock & unlock in a very close distance).... I have been bashing my head against the wall as i found out it would cost me over £1xxx to get them fixed. The mechanist said they would need to remove the rear window, which would most likely break due to how intrusive the job will be.....
AlexCta, Billy_Bowes - How did you manage to get your hand through that tiny hole, unplugging and replacing the module? I can't even touch the module.... Any tips would be much appreciated!
i haven't personally done this job on an F32, but I imagine it involves removing all the necessary rear interior pieces, the rear deck piece should lift and pull out, then popping that retaining plug out from the receiver module. should be doable without removing the rear window; that sounds like an upsell or a "gtfo" quote. only 2 reasons mechanics claim ridiculous procedures; they don't want to work on your car because they're inexperienced with the brand/model AND/OR they're being greedy.

try looking up vids/guides on removing your interior, or just hop in there with some plastic panel pry tools and start pulling lol. i was too lazy to look it up and Gran Coupes arent common, so i literally just started carefully yanking at panels, using a flashlight to look for where panels were attached and what type of attachment was used (plug, metal clip, overlap, indent, etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #54
kellogs
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini R56

Hey,

does anybody have the 2014.03 + TPMS section of the repair manual ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #55
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

I bought a new 434 MHz radio receiver 61357928663, plug and play. It detects and connects to the aftermarket TPMS sensors as before. However, I still get almost daily intermittent TPMS malfunction with these sensors, so I am beginning to believe that these aftermarket sensors are shite..

Is there some coding I can do try?

The OG bmw tpms occupied winter tires are coming on soon, didn't have an issue before, hope I won't get any now.

The ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295039257993
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 01:37 AM   #56
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought a new 434 MHz radio receiver 61357928663, plug and play. It detects and connects to the aftermarket TPMS sensors as before. However, I still get almost daily intermittent TPMS malfunction with these sensors, so I am beginning to believe that these aftermarket sensors are shite..

Is there some coding I can do try?

The OG bmw tpms occupied winter tires are coming on soon, didn't have an issue before, hope I won't get any now.

The ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295039257993
I've had the $38/ea TireRack TPMS sensors on my car for about 6 months and about 5k miles with zero issues. They're BHsens Intellisens RDE027V21 sensors, made in Germany by Baolong and Huf. These can be bought on Amazon as well for $39~/ea, just search "RDE027V21" in the Amazon search bar.

That's all that's part of the TPMS system: 433mhz TPMS>434mhz radio receiver>harness to BCM/ECM

I highly doubt its the harness or computer module. I would try new TPMS.

No coding that I know of. A fancy $300 TPMS tool that can test 433mhz sensors will tell you if they'll mate to your car, issues with signal, or if low on battery, otherwise you just reset TPMS in iDrive and drive the car until you hit 100% to calibrate the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #57
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by junlikesf30s View Post
I've had the $38/ea TireRack TPMS sensors on my car for about 6 months and about 5k miles with zero issues. They're BHsens Intellisens RDE027V21 sensors, made in Germany by Baolong and Huf. These can be bought on Amazon as well for $39~/ea, just search "RDE027V21" in the Amazon search bar.

That's all that's part of the TPMS system: 433mhz TPMS>434mhz radio receiver>harness to BCM/ECM

I highly doubt its the harness or computer module. I would try new TPMS.

No coding that I know of. A fancy $300 TPMS tool that can test 433mhz sensors will tell you if they'll mate to your car, issues with signal, or if low on battery, otherwise you just reset TPMS in iDrive and drive the car until you hit 100% to calibrate the sensors.
Since I got my winter tires on with original sensors, I've had no issue. Shouldn't have bought some cheap knockoffs without doing more research.. I replaced a perfectly good receiver :/ I'll look into the suggested sensors, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 03:52 PM   #58
carson_manalang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

2014 428i TPMS Help

Hello all,

I own a 2014 BMW 428i. My model was built in 02/14. From my understanding, BMW a month later on 03/14, changed the TPMS system, thus leading me to the infamous ongoing TPMS light. My OCD is at its limit right now. I've been trying to find a parts number for a while, and I'm only seeing 03/14 and present. If anyone has a part number or some OE options, please send them over. That'd be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:06 AM   #59
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Suzy N57

F30 330Xd march 2013
Checked DSC MODEL (mine is DSC LK), Checked under car, Did some coding … car has MPPK and Performance Software official!!
My problem is that there is no error everything seems fine, sensors in tires are new, but nothing is shown, no temperature no pressure is displayed since 2 years ago
Any ideas on what should I check next?
The module in the rear will be taken out for a check in 1-2 weeks when it gets warm outside !!!
Thanks a Lot !!!

just enterd Service Menu and my wheel sensors Show 0, all4....
Attached Images

Last edited by dansobolanu; 01-27-2024 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Add Pictures
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:11 PM   #60
ssf556
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

So how do we determine if we have the 315 or 434 module. I see both as replacement part options for my 2018 328d.
      01-29-2024, 05:33 AM   #61
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Suzy N57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansobolanu View Post
F30 330Xd march 2013
Checked DSC MODEL (mine is DSC LK), Checked under car, Did some coding … car has MPPK and Performance Software official!!
My problem is that there is no error everything seems fine, sensors in tires are new, but nothing is shown, no temperature no pressure is displayed since 2 years ago
Any ideas on what should I check next?
The module in the rear will be taken out for a check in 1-2 weeks when it gets warm outside !!!
Thanks a Lot !!!

just enterd Service Menu and my wheel sensors Show 0, all4....
replaced all4, everything FIIXED !

Last edited by dansobolanu; 02-01-2024 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0