E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: E9X ACC Retrofit

05-19-2023, 01:33 AM   #507
iTudor
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330D Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Toast001 View Post
Hello Guys, first of all, thanks for this awesome DIY. This community is really great. I am also currently doing this retrofit and until now everything worked out pretty good. It only took (as always) way longer than anticipated... I already spend two days and still have no power for the ACC and LDM Module yet.

However, next step is to connect the Sensor and the LDM Module to the correct plugs of the fuse-box (plug X11003 & X11008 if I am not mistaken). The thing is, I am struggling to find any documentation of where to find plug X11003. I was only able to source the following pic but this does not include all the plugs, especially not X11003. Does someone know where to find the correct plug for the ACC Sensor? (I have not disassembled the fuse box yet... maybe it is obvious as soon as it is unmounted; in the case, sorry for the question)
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #508
iTudor
Rep

Hey guys, I'm back. just completed the retrofit! everything seems to work fine, sensor is calibrated, everything works as intended!

small few details

1- on M sport bumper, you still have to trim the bumper to be able to install the new grille + cover. I fucked up a little and trimmed a bit too much, nothing seriosly bad, no one will ever notice, except me.......

2- In my fusebox, fuse 21 was taken, and fuse 65 was a big 40amps one taken aswell. I thought I had the correct connectors to install the small fuses, but I couldnt find any, only had big connectors for the regular fuses, so I wired the LDM and the ACC, both to the fuse for the cigarette lighter (20amps) Its probably going to be temporary, since I dont like the idea of having 3 things running of the same place, but for now, it works and nothing blew up yet.

3- Routing the wires is a pain in the ass, I routed from the ACC, towards the ECU box, from there only the fuse wire, routed it inside ( removing the entire ECU box, or it would have been imposible.) the rest of the wires, routed them under the cowl, to the driver side, then behind the abs pump there is a grommet you can use you get the wires inside. lots of removing things just to route the wires, but in the end its worth it. Under the steering wheel I tried to route and solder everything neatly so its not a big mess, its still a mess, but nothing bad.

In the end everything worked out, calibrated the sensor first try ( first set all 3 screws to 43mm as ISTA says, then I only had to adjust one of the lower screws untill ISTA was happy)

sorry for the long post, here are some photos

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 07:05 AM   #509
Mr-Toast001
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTudor View Post
Thanks man. Can confirm this is correct. It is also quiete obvious as soon as you remove the fusebox.

In my case, fuse 21 was free and fuse 65 was already taken (cabel color was also red-yellow). I cheked the whole internet and it was stated everywhere, that F65 should be LDM Module and nothing else. So I removed the pin and put the pin of the LDM Module into F65.
Turns out that I removed power from the gear indicator of my auto transmission (the light beside the P-R-N-D). I now use fuse 64 for the gear indicator. This should be for the OBD 2 Plug but the pin position was free in my case.

I also had to modify the F-Bracket for the ACC a little bit since the pre-LCI version is discontinued (I ordered the pre-LCI version and got the LCI version; even though the sticker on the part stated the pre-LCI part number 66316769269, the stamped in part number was the one from the LCI 66316789935; never had something like this before).

Everthing works fine for me. Only thing I get is error C998 in BimmerLink (SZL: Error for SZL: LWS error: signal or value below threshold. Wheel tolerance adjustment <-5%: F-CAN Wheel tolerance adjustment, communication with DSC). I don't know if it's an error with the SZL (which I replaced completely) or if it is something else. Maybe I switch back to the old SZL at some point and only replace the cruise control stalk. The error does not come up when I scan the car with ISTA tough.
Appreciate 1
iTudor3.00
      05-22-2023, 02:00 AM   #510
iTudor
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. Can confirm this is correct. It is also quiete obvious as soon as you remove the fusebox.

In my case, fuse 21 was free and fuse 65 was already taken (cabel color was also red-yellow). I cheked the whole internet and it was stated everywhere, that F65 should be LDM Module and nothing else. So I removed the pin and put the pin of the LDM Module into F65.
Turns out that I removed power from the gear indicator of my auto transmission (the light beside the P-R-N-D). I now use fuse 64 for the gear indicator. This should be for the OBD 2 Plug but the pin position was free in my case.

I also had to modify the F-Bracket for the ACC a little bit since the pre-LCI version is discontinued (I ordered the pre-LCI version and got the LCI version; even though the sticker on the part stated the pre-LCI part number 66316769269, the stamped in part number was the one from the LCI 66316789935; never had something like this before).

Everthing works fine for me. Only thing I get is error C998 in BimmerLink (SZL: Error for SZL: LWS error: signal or value below threshold. Wheel tolerance adjustment <-5%: F-CAN Wheel tolerance adjustment, communication with DSC). I don't know if it's an error with the SZL (which I replaced completely) or if it is something else. Maybe I switch back to the old SZL at some point and only replace the cruise control stalk. The error does not come up when I scan the car with ISTA tough.
In my case I only used the stalk from the new SZL and fitted it into my cars original SZL, no errors anywhere.

anyways I trust more ISTA than BimmerLink, for me it shows sometimes weird faults that are not in ISTA, and everything works fine anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #511
Mr-Toast001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTudor View Post
I trust more ISTA than BimmerLink, for me it shows sometimes weird faults that are not in ISTA, and everything works fine anyways.
I thought so too. But I basically had three fault codes in BimmerLink, while I only had one in ISTA. Two faults where due to some Sensors I disconnected and one was this weird SZL issue. I know for sure, that I have at least two faul codes for the sensors (because I personally diconnected them). Since ISTA was only showing one, I think something is not good with my ISTA installation and therefore trust more BimmerLink.

However, I switched back to my old SZL and only replaced the stalk --> no errors anymore.
I think the reason for the error was, that I turned the steering wheel sensor of the new/replacement SZL a coule of times in one direction to see if it comes to a stop and to see if it was centered. Since there was no stop, I thought there was no center and I just lined up the arrows on the plastic and slammed it into the car. Maybe the steering angle sensor/disc was off by two or three full turns and I should have turned the disc back to it's original position.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:47 AM   #512
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Where are you guys finding SZL for ACC? There seem to be very few around, especially for E91 with rear wiper (noting that the stalk can of course be transferred across to my old SZL).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #513
iTudor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorg4 View Post
Where are you guys finding SZL for ACC? There seem to be very few around, especially for E91 with rear wiper (noting that the stalk can of course be transferred across to my old SZL).
lots of patience and searching everywhere

I found my entire SZL for 60€ in some french scrapyard, they wouldnt ship to spain, had to ship it to a friend from france, then to spain, but it was worth it. I only used the stalk, installed into my own SZL, since my car is E91 and it was an E90 SZL.

The way I found this one, was through google images about ACC stalk, untill reached way down to one that looked like a scrapyard photo, and voila!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #514
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! I guess I'd better keep searching then! I have ACC fitted to my second E91 and in both cases I've been using it without the ACC stalk meaning I can't adjust the distance. It otherwise works perfectly without the ACC stalk.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #515
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I recently bought a E92 and of course it needs ACC.

Has anyone fitted ACC to a M3?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #516
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I have no input on the M3 as far as technicals go. There's an air dam/shroud that will most likely need to be cut along with the lower grille.

I'm still doing my retrofit with an M3 style bumper (lifes gotten in the way oops). Theres some interference with the lower grille as expected. Unfortunately it looks like there will need to be a cutout for the whole unit and not just the spherical portion. The square part appears to be flush if not slightly protruding from the grille mesh. Ugly.

With the longer nose of the M3 you might not have to worry about that, I'm not sure
      07-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #517
Nodi19
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
I have no input on the M3 as far as technicals go. There's an air dam/shroud that will most likely need to be cut along with the lower grille.

I'm still doing my retrofit with an M3 style bumper (lifes gotten in the way oops). Theres some interference with the lower grille as expected. Unfortunately it looks like there will need to be a cutout for the whole unit and not just the spherical portion. The square part appears to be flush if not slightly protruding from the grille mesh. Ugly.

With the longer nose of the M3 you might not have to worry about that, I'm not sure
Hi! I am in the same boat. I think there is no exigent way to install the acc sensor on this bumper, but if you find solution please upload the result. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:06 PM   #518
maszter
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335xd (built from 330xd)

Quote:

Can you tell me how did you modified the F-Bracket please ? I am having the same issue right now on my pre-lci E92. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #519
Mr-Toast001
Rep

I basically mounted the plate (which holds the ACC sensor) to the F-Bracket with the two bolts that fitted. Then I used a drill to put a hole where the third hole should have been (I think it was exactly at/in the end of the brackets groove). I had to use a nut to mount the plate since there was nothing at the backside of the bracket to put a helicoil or so.
If you are good at welding, you can maybe weld something to the backside of the bracket and put a helicoil. That would be as OEM as it could get nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 08:00 AM   #520
Nodi19
Rep

Hi!
Is there anybody besides me who uses acc with normal cruise control stalk? I tried to code the initial distance(02) but when I set a new value in nettodata ncs gives me errors. I also tried another way, I disassembled the ACC2E90.C47 and set new values ​​(00, 01) and after that I tried to code with the new value. Coding was successfully, but when I go for a test drive and turn on acc it always uses 02 as initial value.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 05:15 AM   #521
Mr-Toast001
Rep

Unfotunately I cannot help you, but I would be also interested.
What do you mean when you say you disassembled the ACC2E90.C47?

Do you think it would be possible to check the e60 ACC file and look for the code which diables the ACC and enables normal cruise control (in e60 you can hold the distance switch on the stalk for 3 seconds to disable ACC)?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:31 AM   #522
Nodi19
Rep

Quote:
Unfotunately I cannot help you, but I would be also interested.
What do you mean when you say you disassembled the ACC2E90.C47?

Do you think it would be possible to check the e60 ACC file and look for the code which diables the ACC and enables normal cruise control (in e60 you can hold the distance switch on the stalk for 3 seconds to disable ACC)?
I mean edited acc2e90.c47 file, I added 3 new parameters, but did not work. If I enabled the acc, always started with 3 bars. Meanwhile i got an acc stalk, so now I can adjust the distance.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #523
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

I took the ACC stalk off the original SZL and transplanted it onto my heated steering wheel SZL.
You don’t need to look for one specifically with a rear wiper, just swap it over
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 04:22 AM   #524
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodi19 View Post
Hi!
Is there anybody besides me who uses acc with normal cruise control stalk? I tried to code the initial distance(02) but when I set a new value in nettodata ncs gives me errors. I also tried another way, I disassembled the ACC2E90.C47 and set new values ​​(00, 01) and after that I tried to code with the new value. Coding was successfully, but when I go for a test drive and turn on acc it always uses 02 as initial value.
I had exactly the same issue, running with a normal stalk and I couldn't get the default distance to decrease below 3 bars despite trying various coding options.

I finally managed to source a SZL with ACC stalk, fitted it and coded everything (including VIN in the SZL) but my indicators and wipers didn't work. I'm not sure if it's because the SZL was from an older pre-LCI car, maybe it would have worked with a software update but I didn't try. I instead swapped over the ACC stalk to my existing SZL and all is now working perfectly
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #525
Jellepepe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Unfortunately, all the interested members had dropped this retrofit due to its difficulties and complexity (ACC/Stop&Go in 4cyl E9x).
I believe I tried contacting you back in 2021 already at some point but failed.
I now have all the parts (6cyl DSC, all ACC parts, etc.) to install ACC on my 320d. I also already have an esp32 on my K-can for a different project, adding one to the PT-Can would be easy.

Would you be willing to share the relevant (PT-)Can signals you found / are using to make the ACC work? That would save me a lot of time reverse engineering the signals.
Would also be more than happy to help look into adding stop and go properly, including potentially adding additional radars/sensors

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:19 PM   #526
hupchye
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellepepe View Post
I believe I tried contacting you back in 2021 already at some point but failed.
I now have all the parts (6cyl DSC, all ACC parts, etc.) to install ACC on my 320d. I also already have an esp32 on my K-can for a different project, adding one to the PT-Can would be easy.

Would you be willing to share the relevant (PT-)Can signals you found / are using to make the ACC work? That would save me a lot of time reverse engineering the signals.
Would also be more than happy to help look into adding stop and go properly, including potentially adding additional radars/sensors

Cheers!
Hi, no problem at all. Until today had assisted few members on this and so far only ONE succeeded. You can contact me at hupchye@hotmail.com direct.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 08:30 PM   #527
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
After a long time coming, I've finally completed my ACC retrofit on my '07 E91 323i. A few hiccups along the way but worked through them all with this sites and everyone's advice. So happy its finally done and loving it .
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #528
Adrian052
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D

Anyone know if a e60 or similar radar would work? They look about the same for the eye test. I ask….well because the e90 ones are hard to find.
Appreciate 0