F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 M Performance Brakes Detailed. Coming in Red, Orange, Yellow
proTUNING Freaks

03-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #89
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Man, these bitter E9x M3 owners ruined the thread with their whining and complaining. Cry me a river! The M3 already has great breaks. What more do you want for an upgrade? Any upgrade offered for M3s would cost an arm and a leg......then you crybabies would be bitching and whining about how expensive the upgrade is. Whiners are never pleased. Wait till the F80 M3 is released......LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #90
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
When I checked BMW Performance, for the 2011 335i e90 I haven't seen them as well as I haven't seen an intake.
It's because there isn't one for the 335. From what I've read, you could mount the BMW Performance brakes but braking wouldn't improve or there would be very little difference from the brakes on the 335 to justify the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #91
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES View Post
Frosty,
I'm not an elitist however, regardless of where the Hyundai comes from, I bought the M for performance and because I wanted something different, I've also wanted an M3 since I was about 14 years old. I've got a blue collar job and my M is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned, not to mention it took two deployments to a shithole to be able to afford the car and all the mods, so spare me the guilt trip!

I think we are deviating from the point that BMW should make these parts avaliable to those who are loyal to their brand and forked out the extra cash solely for the performance. BMW is bastardizing the M reputation by enabling everyone to put these various parts not offered to those who have the car. That's all I'm saying. It would be nice for them to take care of us seeing as how we pend large sums of money to get the maximum potential out of the car. Like Longbow said, the brakes on the CRT would be fine. I'm not trying to put down brembo, they make a great product but putting them on nearly all the Genesis coupes really doesn't appeal to me simply because I am used to seeing brembo on high end cars.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but BMW needs to stop solely thinking about profits and maintain some integrity and loyalty to those who spend the money for the performance rather than just having the look.
First off Kudos for putting in so much hard work to acquire an M3 (I cant afford one currently and would love that NA engine)... secondly I agree entirely with you that the ///M brand is fading into a marketing logo, i as well am disappointed to see it having fallen in love with what that represented to me.. the mantra seems to be that all this logo-a-rama is allegedly to allow advancement... personally im not into perpetual growth.. make an amazing product and keep doing it.

For those like yourself we can see that the logo badge stuff is fluff... the thing about an M car is the overall package... suspension etc... those parts are generally unique in the "greater than the some of their parts" way adding //M logo stuff piece meal will not replicate currently... when you can parts bin create an M from a baseline car easily then the ///M will have died... were getting closer but were not there yet.. You and I will both be sad when it happens
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #92
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Man, these bitter E9x M3 owners ruined the thread with their whining and complaining. Cry me a river! The M3 already has great breaks. What more do you want for an upgrade? Any upgrade offered for M3s would cost an arm and a leg......then you crybabies would be bitching and whining about how expensive the upgrade is. Whiners are never pleased. Wait till the F80 M3 is released......LOL
Please don't group other M3 owners with James.....

Personally, I think his posts are ridiculous and baseless

So you bought a 75k M3 all by yourself.... who cars? Seriously....
What, so someone could "only" afford a 328, and thus that means you're better than they are? wtf?
Also, in case you didn't know, a new loaded F30 335i is near 60k IIRC, which isn't that far off from a e9x M3 MSRP.

James...My E93 M3 had a MSRP of $82,575, and I have over ~$20k in mods; does that mean I'm better than you?

Shesh....

Why do you expect the E9x M3 to have an upgrade now? It's an older generation. They stopped giving a damn about it already.... if they made something available for it, then less people would sell their e9x's and go out to buy F30s. The whole point of offering something new and better in their incoming model is to make it sell and sell, nothing more.

Also, for those who don't have M3s, you may not know this, but the stock E9x M3 brakes are complete crap unfortunately. I do agree that an upgrade should have been available, but they weren't doing these type of upgrades... We're lucky they even developed the M perf exhaust.

Furthermore, don't compare brembos that are designed to work on a Hyundai to the brembos that are aftermarket and designed to work on the M3.

If you truly think that the e9x m3 brembos that retail for $8k (who pays retail anyways?) are identical to the brembos that are put on the Hyundai, you are mistaken.
I'm not saying the Hyundai ones are bad, nononono. But they're designed for that car's weight and specs etc etc.
Do you really think it "degrades" the brembo brand by having it put on a Hyundai? If so...then.... wow...

a BBK will not necessary make a car stop that much better; you need to match it with a graet pad compound along with some great tires.

Take a E9x M3 with stock calipers, rotors, and lines, put a set of race pads on their with RS3s or SS/RE11/AD08s...all up to temp of course
Compare it to an E9x M3 with a Brembo 380mm 6/4 system with stock Brembo pads and cheap tires (like Hankook v12s, Conti DWs, heck even the stock PS2s).
Which car do you think will stop faster?

Now, the stock system will produce more fade, get hotter etc etc... but I'm sure you get my point that just having bigger brakes isn't going to do it all.. it's the package really.... a BBK set up with great pads and tires, now you're getting some where.
I upgraded to StopTech pads, lines, and fluid in my stock system first; then got a Stoptech Trophy BBk with the StopTech pads (same compound that was on my stock system), and now changed the pads to Endless pads. It wasn't until I changed the pads that I truly noticed an improvement in stopping power.
Does this mean that since my BBK retails (again who pays retail..) for close to $8k with pads that retail for about $1k... means my car is better and thus mean I'm better than those who don't have such an awesome brake system? I didn't know I upgraded parts to be better than people... I just wanted to make sure I could make consistent high speed stops with a little less worry.

I agree with the poster who mentioned he'd rather have boring looking brakes that performed better than shiny ones that didn't... function over form... but if you want form over function, then simply go paint your stock calipers, it'll make the more noticeable.

Anyways, if I misunderstood you James, than my apologies for that; but to my understanding... you feel that, as a $75k M3 owner, you're, more-or-less, "better" than the person who bought the "child" 328i....
Again, if I misunderstood, than I apologize for it in advance.

/small rant

Last edited by persian54; 03-05-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #93
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Question

At What Price are these new "Performance Brakes" coming in at please?, anyone.
      03-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #94
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
At What Price are these new "Performance Brakes" coming in at please?, anyone.
No one knows yet. But they wont be cheap
      03-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #95
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #96
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
What I really want to know now is, how does the "///M Performance" parts compare to "BMW Performance"? I don't see the need for two lines if they both offer similar performance.
BMW Performance Parts are for the E9x chassis. They've changed the name to //M Performance Parts for the F1x, F2x and F3x chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #97
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Your rambling does not even make any sense. Just because we have an opinion that the M car should stay M we are whiners? Where is the logic there? This would mean that anybody that appreciates a good car and the differences between these cars is a snob. I like that there is a difference. You won't see me call others elitists just because I can't afford an M6 or a Audi R8. I appreciate the difference between these cars. If I would follow most people on this forum I would start adding M6 badges and M5 specific brakes to my M3.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #98
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Those wheels look like AC Shitzers.
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #99
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Please don't group other M3 owners with James.....

Personally, I think his posts are ridiculous and baseless

So you bought a 75k M3 all by yourself.... who cars? Seriously....
What, so someone could "only" afford a 328, and thus that means you're better than they are? wtf?
Also, in case you didn't know, a new loaded F30 335i is near 60k IIRC, which isn't that far off from a e9x M3 MSRP.

James...My E93 M3 had a MSRP of $82,575, and I have over ~$20k in mods; does that mean I'm better than you?

Shesh....

Why do you expect the E9x M3 to have an upgrade now? It's an older generation. They stopped giving a damn about it already.... if they made something available for it, then less people would sell their e9x's and go out to buy F30s. The whole point of offering something new and better in their incoming model is to make it sell and sell, nothing more.

Also, for those who don't have M3s, you may not know this, but the stock E9x M3 brakes are complete crap unfortunately. I do agree that an upgrade should have been available, but they weren't doing these type of upgrades... We're lucky they even developed the M perf exhaust.

Furthermore, don't compare brembos that are designed to work on a Hyundai to the brembos that are aftermarket and designed to work on the M3.

If you truly think that the e9x m3 brembos that retail for $8k (who pays retail anyways?) are identical to the brembos that are put on the Hyundai, you are mistaken.
I'm not saying the Hyundai ones are bad, nononono. But they're designed for that car's weight and specs etc etc.
Do you really think it "degrades" the brembo brand by having it put on a Hyundai? If so...then.... wow...

a BBK will not necessary make a car stop that much better; you need to match it with a graet pad compound along with some great tires.

Take a E9x M3 with stock calipers, rotors, and lines, put a set of race pads on their with RS3s or SS/RE11/AD08s...all up to temp of course
Compare it to an E9x M3 with a Brembo 380mm 6/4 system with stock Brembo pads and cheap tires (like Hankook v12s, Conti DWs, heck even the stock PS2s).

Now, the stock system will produce more fade, get hotter etc etc... but I'm sure you get my point that just having bigger brakes isn't going to do it all.. it's the package really.... a BBK set up with great pads and tires, now you're getting some where.
I upgraded to StopTech pads, lines, and fluid in my stock system first; then got a Stoptech Trophy BBk with the StopTech pads (same compound that was on my stock system), and now changed the pads to Endless pads. It wasn't until I changed the pads that I truly noticed an improvement in stopping power.
Does this mean that since my BBK retails (again who pays retail..) for close to $8k with pads that retail for about $1k... means my car is better and thus mean I'm better than those who don't have such an awesome brake system? I didn't know I upgraded parts to be better than people... I just wanted to make sure I could make consistent high speed stops with a little less worry.

I agree with the poster who mentioned he'd rather have boring looking brakes that performed better than shiny ones that didn't... function over form... but if you want form over function, then simply go paint your stock calipers, it'll make the more noticeable.

Anyways, if I misunderstood you James, than my apologies for that; but to my understanding... you feel that, as a $75k M3 owner, you're, more-or-less, "better" than the person who bought the "child" 328i....

/small rant

+1000000
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #100
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Wow, jeez, sorry I brought it up. I'll just stick to the aftermarket. Not that big of a deal. Come to think of it, I don't have a single mod that was made by BMW on either car. Why change now?
      03-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #101
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Does anyone have a part number for #12 for backing plate? Looks like it is bent back for additional airflow.
      03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #102
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

this is good news, I hope they're available for US come July when it comes time to spec out my F30

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #103
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES
Child? LMFAO! I bought the M, u bought the child!
Yeah, you're definitely not an elitist or a child. I was way off. Airborne!
      03-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #104
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
Come to think of it, I don't have a single mod that was made by BMW on either car. Why change now?
Exactly

StopTech Kit is the most affordable one. Then I believe it's AP Racing, StopTech Trophy/Brembo. Something like that
There's Alcon too, but I don't know anything about them
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #105
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
Your rambling does not even make any sense. Just because we have an opinion that the M car should stay M we are whiners? Where is the logic there? This would mean that anybody that appreciates a good car and the differences between these cars is a snob. I like that there is a difference. You won't see me call others elitists just because I can't afford an M6 or a Audi R8. I appreciate the difference between these cars. If I would follow most people on this forum I would start adding M6 badges and M5 specific brakes to my M3.
If you read my post again, you will see that nowhere I mention that the whining and complaining is about M cars staying M cars. My post is a response to the whining (particularly by James) that M cars didn't get upgrades (brakes in particular) while new generation F30s gets these upgrades. I personally see nothing wrong with BMW's new strategy to offer M performance upgrades to new generation regular models. As a M model owner you should know (and be confident) that this doesn't make the regular models into Ms. M models are still unique and special because of the way the total package is put together from the factory - engine, suspension, brakes, steering, body parts, LSD.

I've read many times over how M owners say (with confidence) that no matter how much one tunes a regular BMW model, it will never be or become a M. Where is this confidence now? Plus if I'm not mistaken BMW has offered special M editions and packages in the last 2-3 years for the current E9x M3s.

It's just new generation, new strategy - simple as that. As for what aftermarket upgrades, badges, etc. you put on your M3....I couldn't care less....you can put a Mercedes AMG badge for all I care.....it's your choice. But I'm not interested in reading complaints from E9x M3 owners because BMW offers M performance upgrades for F30s. Perhaps they do it because they have something really special to offer with the new F80 M3. Who knows what kind of monster that would be? And they might as well have some planned factory upgrades for it too.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #106
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Perhaps it's time for some of us to look past the ///M badge - where ///M is no longer reserved for special cars. BMW has turned the ///M brand into sort of a tuning division (see: BMW Performance) that reaches the consumer if they need something for their cars and I don't see a problem with that if BMW continues this past the F30 generation and not just a one generation type thing.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 03-05-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #107
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Superb! Looking forward to seeing how these perform!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #108
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Nice

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #109
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

/small rant
Well I can agree with your first post. Why would BMW offer an upgrade for a product that has stopped production.

But I think you are missing the point of "flashy" brakes. For one, Brembo is brembo. There is 6 piston, 4 piston, 2 piston. Depending on the car for which Brembo was chosen as the stock brakes from the factory, each one performs great and they look nice. I own a beautiful 335XI that sees 19's in the summer, I have big brakes that perform well, but they look like shit. It's an ugly piece of hunky aluminum. Same would go for the M3. Why would you produce a high end car with such shitty looking brakes?

I owned a highly modified STi before. Most were like the people here, wanting to throw out the stock Brembo brakes for "new" ones. As you mentioned in your posts, there is a lot that you can do to increase the potential for any braking system. For me, I swapped the pads with Ultimate Axxis Pads, Goodridge steel brake lines, DBR4000 slotted rotors, and ATE Super Blue High Performance Brake Fluid. My car would stop on a dime, you wouldn't believe the difference. And I didn't have to spend $4,000.00 on a new and better braking system when I had one. The benefit to that car is that I had Brembos that already looked great and completed the look of the vehicle.

I can do what I did to the STi on the 335XI. I'm going to start with the rotors, lines, and new fluid. But once I get that up to par I still have shitty looking brakes. I personally prefer the beautiful teal blue ProjectMU calipers, but they don't make them for BMW evidently. Bottom line is to complete the look of my vehicle and what I want, I'm going to have to go out and buy some new calipers. Yeah, the current system is great, can be upgraded to achieve a brake system that is track worthy, but it'll still look shitty. Most high end braking systems will out perform the stock system. I'm not sure what $2,500+ braking system would look great and not function. As I explained above, and as you did in your post, it's the whole package and what you piece together that will give you one of the best peforming brake systems.

And I agree with you, just because someone owns a $9,000.00 braking system doesn't mean they are better than anyone. I guess if you got the cash to blow go for it. Even if I had the cash I would never pay $9,000.00 for brakes. That's a little steep.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #110
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Why would you produce a high end car with such shitty looking brakes?
I agree with you...why produce a high end car (like the M3) with shitty looking brakes.
But, I disagree in that I do not think the stock M3 brakes look shitty. They don't perform as I'd like them to on the track, but I personally do not think they look shitty.
I do think my previous 335i brakes did look shitty though...but I don't think a 335i is a high end car. Heck, even the M3 is borderline "high end" IMO.
I generally reserve that term for a Porsche C2S, Noble, R8, Aston Martin etc ($100k price point) ; but this is purely personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Even if I had the cash I would never pay $9,000.00 for brakes. That's a little steep.
I agree with you, hence why I specifically said: "who pays retail?"

My M3 also retailed for close to $90k when you factor in tax.... no way I'd pay that for a M3, that's a little steep.
Appreciate 0