E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 PCV help?

10-26-2023, 07:59 PM   #1
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW!

N54 PCV help?

Planning on FBO soon, just want to do all my maintenance first. Next step is for me to address the PCV system. I'm not quite sure what the best option is, I see some people running once catch can, some running two, and some running none with a complete PCV delete. In all honesty the PCV system is the place im least familiar with on the N54. Not sure how it works, ive read theres also an internal "catch can" in the valve cover too, on a side note, do aftermarket aluminum valve covers retain this function? Anyways back to the original question, I want maximum reliability and health of the engine from modifying the PCV system. As I said kind of confusing when I see people deleting it, some upgrading PCV valves to aluminum ones etc. If someone could break down all the options in depth for me id appreciate it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:42 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I bought the upgraded metal PCV valve only because my original one was not sealing, so I figured why not upgrade to something that will likely last longer.

I'll let the experts chime in, but I personally have no intention of running a catch can. The OEM PCV system works fairly well. You're going to get some oil inside the intake tract, but it isn't the end of the world. From what I've read the catch can still doesn't eliminate the need to get the intake valves walnut blasted every few years.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
E93Seattle (Racerbruce)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 & 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I bought the upgraded metal PCV valve only because my original one was not sealing, so I figured why not upgrade to something that will likely last longer.

I'll let the experts chime in, but I personally have no intention of running a catch can. The OEM PCV system works fairly well. You're going to get some oil inside the intake tract, but it isn't the end of the world. From what I've read the catch can still doesn't eliminate the need to get the intake valves walnut blasted every few years.
what lowry said ^^
earlier this yr while converting to aluminum chargepipe and tial bov, i replaced the oem plastic pcv with a billet aluminum pcv; a failed pcv can cause (stating the obvious) a positive crankcase pressure thereby weakening already on-the-edge gaskets and/or causing functioning gaskets to fail which cause oil leaks and $$$$.

i researched the catch can option and decided that since the only chane to my n54 twin turbo's boost was a plug & play boost increaser which only raised the psi moderately; i have read that significant increases in turbo boost psi can accentuate the potential for positive crankcase psi, thus replacing the oem plastic pcv with a billet aluminum pcv as a hopeful deterrent to oem pcv failures.

Last edited by E93Seattle (Racerbruce); 10-28-2023 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Seattle (Racerbruce) View Post
what lowry said ^^
earlier this yr while converting to aluminum chargepipe and tial bov, i replaced the oem plastic pcv with a billet aluminum pcv; a failed pcv can cause (stating the obvious) a positive crankcase pressure thereby weakening already on-the-edge gaskets and/or causing functioning gaskets to fail which cause oil leaks and $$$$.

i researched the catch can option and decided that since the only chane to my n54 twin turbo's boost was a plug & play boost increaser which only raised the psi moderately; i have read that significant increases in turbo boost psi can accentuate the potential for positive crankcase psi, thus replacing the oem plastic pcv with a billet aluminum pcv as a hopeful deterrent to oem pcv failures.
So a occ isnt really necessary? Just the aluminum pcv valve? I want to keep my engine as healthy as possible
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 11:02 AM   #5
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer2 View Post
Planning on FBO soon, just want to do all my maintenance first. Next step is for me to address the PCV system. I'm not quite sure what the best option is, I see some people running once catch can, some running two, and some running none with a complete PCV delete. In all honesty the PCV system is the place im least familiar with on the N54. Not sure how it works, ive read theres also an internal "catch can" in the valve cover too, on a side note, do aftermarket aluminum valve covers retain this function? Anyways back to the original question, I want maximum reliability and health of the engine from modifying the PCV system. As I said kind of confusing when I see people deleting it, some upgrading PCV valves to aluminum ones etc. If someone could break down all the options in depth for me id appreciate it. Thanks
Yeah I have the BMS OCC and it does its job, I still sometimes get oil in the chargepipe, maybe not as much as I normally would but every so often I notice it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:02 AM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer2 View Post
Honestly, unless you have some big single turbo setup pushing 700+ HP.....leave the stock PCV system alone.

New valve cover, new oem flapper valve, RB or BMS metal PCV valve.....and you are good to go. Not sure why everyone always wants to tinker with the PCV setups on these car.....the stock system works great if it's in good condition. Seems like I'm constantly seeing people having all kinds of issues with their "modified" PCV setups because most people have no idea how the high/low PCV systems on the N54 actually works.

Leave it stock.....
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:36 AM   #7
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

when the PCV valve leak, you'll have smoking exhaust.
I did upgrade mine with alu one to be sure if I ever had smoke, it shouldn't be that.

I also have a CC on the low pressure side, pretty simple and cheap.

I bought the CC and PCV valve for about 80$ cad.

Also if you have port injection or meth, bah, you can leave the CC alone.
My audi meth kit leave the intake valve clean, like very clean.
Appreciate 0