F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Revisiting better brake feel via coding
proTUNING Freaks

01-12-2024, 03:17 PM   #1
armenh7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Revisiting better brake feel via coding

For those that have coded in SPBR for better brake pedal feel on M-Sport 340mm gray calipers, have you noticed any drawbacks? Older forum posts theorize it will/can cause an unbalance in DSC/ABS operation.

Already have stainless lines, fresh fluid, and semi-aggressive pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 03:35 AM   #2
Andrew_za
Rep
Drives: 435D

Bumping this as im pretty much in the same boat
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:31 PM   #3
_ObiJon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

I coded SPBR when I did my Base brake to Spork Brake (340/330) upgrade and i don't experience any drawbacks. Take that with a grain, as I've never driven another F3x car, so I have nothing to compare against.

However, I've done plenty of aggressive, semi-aggressive and panic braking (I promise it's not me) and the car stops faster than I think it would/should have. I am running Hawko 5.0's, as a data point.

With that said, I don't experience any wonky ABS/DSC activation and the car always stops straight and fairly flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
armenh7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_za View Post
Bumping this as im pretty much in the same boat
I found out the brake feel is much better in eco pro/comfort. In sport and sport+, the torque converter is almost always engaged for quicker accelerator response. The downside of that is it feels like the car is always pushing. There's a huge difference between the two modes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 03:21 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
For those that have coded in SPBR for better brake pedal feel on M-Sport 340mm gray calipers, have you noticed any drawbacks? Older forum posts theorize it will/can cause an unbalance in DSC/ABS operation.

Already have stainless lines, fresh fluid, and semi-aggressive pads.
Could you please provide more details behind "better brake feel"? Are you looking for a more aggressive initial bite as an example?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 03:27 PM   #6
armenh7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Could you please provide more details behind "better brake feel"? Are you looking for a more aggressive initial bite as an example?
It feels like the pads aren't bedded in although I can see there's tons of pad material transferred onto the rotor. The brakes feel greasy in a sense. Instead of the pad biting into the rotor and having friction doing the stopping, it feels like clamping force is doing the braking. Usually after I wash the car and the rotors get slight surface rust built on it, the brakes bite much more aggressively and it feels bedded until the rust is worn off. I want less pedal travel to do more stopping. It's a bit hard to word it properly, it's mainly something that's just described by feel.
Appreciate 0