E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mad about GIAC!!

08-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Mad about GIAC!!

Well here goes nothing .....

I am new to the forums, but I had to take time out to congratulate Nick@AE Performance,
and the guys at GIAC for a job well done. The title is a little belying the fact that i am crazy about the new Stage 1 tune from GIAC.

a little history is in order.
In my youth I have an opportunity to work with some pretty fast naturally aspirated engine set ups (when Irwindale has still a 1/4 mile track and the likes of "Big Daddy" Don Gartlits was still king of the AA fuelers), so I am no stranger to horsepower and speed.

But in my waning years i decided to go a different route, but my love for a fast car has lived on, but -- with a little bit of caution too .. keeping my DMV points at 0 is really important. Buying the 335i was not a hard choice, even with the existing problems reported on the car -- I've ALWAYS loved BMW's -- so i was willing to live to inevitable issues -- so be it.

after driving is tor a month or so I was starting to get bored, and i asked so buddy of mine how could i get more power from the car and they told me there where piggyback units that would make my car perform better. I did my research and although they looked promising it (to me seemed an unfamiliar way of doing engine tuning - but the results were unquestionable) didn't fit the bill for me. so I waited and some word about reprogramming the control unit itself surfaced.. now that is something i was familiar with -- but early ecu programs didn't give that much of a punch(at least the old eeprom chip type didn't), but the claims of 40-60 horsepower sure turned my head.. I look at Dinan, but didn't hear positive reports on them, so I'd have to wait again.

months later I hear about GIAC, but it was in the works and the tune is not ready.... no horsepower numbers, but a bunch of folks praising there Porsche and Audi tuning prowess. no negatives all positives .. this i could wait for....
GLAD I DID!!!!

I got in contact with Nick @ AE Performance and got good feedback, but GIAC had yet to release the tune. I saw his dyno numbers and got jazzed. A few days later, I contacted AE and Nick was out of town, so i corresponded with Ryne, and got a appointment set up. well today I took the plunge.

THE INSTALLATION
Austin@GIAC recommended that you have the latest software update available (if possible), so i had my software updated to the latest ISTA/P version available to the dealer. and i trotted off to have Stage 1 installed. Well as you would have it, GIAC didn't have the current DME file in their archive and they custom built mine while I waited- (to me that is a sign that GIAC has extensive coding capabilities at hand) - as i sat there, watching AE's library of Top Gear, i knew somewhere in the back of my head (after Nick informed me that the custom build was under-way) -- I'd be going home with a OEM re-flash, and another appointment in the future. to my surprise, 4.5 hours later (and in the realm of software programming that is a short bit of time), and a lot of hustle by the techs at AE'st my keys were handed to me -- "you're ready to go" -- "blink- blink" what! no way!!

as any good business owner, Nick said "let me take it for a test drive before you go" -- stellar move Nick, hats off to you.. I'm in the customer service business, and that goes a long way, showing your customer that you care about the final product.

rating for Nick and his crew= 110%
rating for GIAC = Coding abilities = 110%

OWNERS TEST DRIVE (tune results)
First thing i noted was to note of the exhaust, it get a little deeper when the car is sufficiently warmed up and the turbo spool up and go into boost. This note was more pronounced now, even at idle (presumably due to the waste gate closure I've heard about. Even though the car has not fully adapted yet, the off-idle throttle response is crisp. I have driven a couple of the early production 335's and the throttle response is even better, its not twitchy, but smooth, graded and linear -- the more throttle you apply, the more boost comes on. on the way back home from AE, there was little stretch of road where everyone wanted to speed on, I tapped the throttle and DAMN!!! that what I call z-lag -- she instantly responded to my input. Very nice, but not enough to really gauge the tune --- but the throttle response is all that its cracked up to be... believe me... when i got to the freeway, it was rush hour, and hardly any room to do a real test. so i waited a bit and finally got some open ground with no traffic, the midrange on this tune is incredible. without shifting below 5th and with the a/c on ( the car hurtled to 120mph -- and then traffic again) ,not that the engine cared, because I was no where near redline. Getting off the freeway, there is a short overpass and when i pulled around the corner, I straightened her up and punched it (warning kids don't try this at home!!) the car pulled like a big block muscle car, the exhaust went from a growl, to a rasp, finally a fantastic ripping noise that only a car enthusiast could love. Ladies, Gentlemen, boys and girls, GIAC has thrown real software voodoo on BMWs ecu. this may not be the most powerful tune available, but as for delivery, consistency, and smoothness. they give exactly what they say.. a great tune for your 335/535/135.

GIACs tuning prowess rating = priceless (based on opinion only -- your mileage/or consideration may vary)

Throttle respone = excellent
Linear power application = excellent
Midrange pulling power = excellent +
Top End = Yet to be tested

i know everyone is eager to see dyno graphs and time slips. sorry gents -- I'll probably get it dyno'd when I go back to Nick for other stuff. and my car will never see a Christmas tree in its whole life (except if I put it in the trunk) -- I have other cars for that purpose. but from a drivers stand point for street driven sports coupe, this is truly a "live with" tune. one day ill spring for a BT cable, and do some datalogging.. but again that's in the future

thanks for reading.. hope it helps sort out if this tune is for you..
i would like to answer questions on my impression of the tune, but I'm going out of town for a business trip .. so when i get back and drive a little more.. I'll post again

have a great day
Thanks again to Nick, Ryne and the crew at AE -
And big props to the tuners, and code writers at GIAC --
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Good read. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

by the way ...

btw:

no SES light on
no reduced power messages on --

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

excellent!!
      08-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
munters
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

It looks like it does what a flash should do.
      08-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

great review

so they recommend that you have the lastest software? that is troublesome for folks like i, who have heavily modifed cars. i have no intention of visiting the dealer anytime soon. what are the drawbacks of having older software? maybe austin can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Wickede92
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92

wow...one of the best post i read! great job. i, too, have an appointment next week to get my car flashed and cant wait for the excitement. btw, do you have any other mods in your car? since your car is an 09, just like mine, and AE now has your DME files, hopefully i wont have to wait to long to get my car flashed...I CANT WAIT!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

mods ?

only mods on the car is the BMW exhaust-- thats it

hope my trip helped out the folks that have the newest software versions...
plus -- i dont think you HAVE to get the update
im thinkin' GIAC is trying to get a sufficient range of versions in their database so the wait I ran into will be reduced, and also may to see what functional changes BMW is making to their software for possible improvements -- but then again its only MY guess. One of the guys from GIAC should be able to elaborate on that -- with some real authority. those guys are the shietz....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Awesome read. The only thing holding me back is solid proof that the dealer can not see this when the car goes in for warranty work on the motor etc... The first thing they'll look for is a tune if a car comes in with turbo or motor issues. Not saying that the flash would cause these issues but even stock cars have problems and I don't want to risk my warranty on a brand new car.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It may show in FASTA data, but don't quote me on that.
      08-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
great review

so they recommend that you have the lastest software? that is troublesome for folks like i, who have heavily modifed cars. i have no intention of visiting the dealer anytime soon. what are the drawbacks of having older software? maybe austin can chime in.
I would like to know this as well... I have steadily refused the new software updates by my dealer...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Wow can't wait to get mine!! The dealer here is still working out the pricing!! ARGH!

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

what was the cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Did you get any before and after dyno runs?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Quote:
great review

It's recommended, but its not required. We've flashed several cars with later software versions without any issues. I'm not even running the 100% newest version @ 33.3 since I believe theyre at 34.X now.

GIAC understands not everyone can have their car updated, so in light of this, they have built and are continuing to build flashes compatible with every software version.

-----

GREAT Review! It was great meeting you yesterday! Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I wish I had spare money
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

welcome to the club!!!

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #18
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@AEPerformance View Post
It's recommended, but its not required. We've flashed several cars with later software versions without any issues. I'm not even running the 100% newest version @ 33.3 since I believe theyre at 34.X now.

GIAC understands not everyone can have their car updated, so in light of this, they have built and are continuing to build flashes compatible with every software version.

-----

GREAT Review! It was great meeting you yesterday! Enjoy!
nice. i might have to make a drive and come see you soon when i get back then nick
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
ho_grayson
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

thanks a lot! its really big help to me! i was thinking to install that too! how much cost to install? upgrade latest software?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Quote:
nice. i might have to make a drive and come see you soon when i get back then nick
That would be awesome, and we'd love to have you at the shop!

Nick

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

back in town..

just go back in town last night -- how all is well with you guy/gals

had to drop off the rent a car last night and picked up the wife -- she is a little car savvy so i had to keep my composure. I am surprised at my restraint -- but i did keep her pinned to back of the passenger seat quite often.

only drove for about four miles but the responsiveness of the tune is getting better and better.
i can ease around a corner in 2nd at low rpm and still have to ease on the power to keep the car from wanting to get half way down the block.

i see a lot of guys have, or going to take the plunge -- CONGRATS!!!! ENJOY!!!

plus i see Mr.5 got a dyno performed and the numbers are really really good for a Stage 1 tune. these numbers reflect (generally) the numbers put down by Nicks car when he had his dyno'd with the exhaust and intake. GOOD SHOW !!!!

sorry for the delay between my first post and now -- but if you have any questions about AE's service or the tune (other than dyno #'s or drag time slips) i'd be glad to answer them

have a great day
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Mad about GIAC (extended test drive report) "RELOADED"

Well folks its been 10 days since my GIAC flash was installed and I wanted to report some of my impression of this tune. I am adding a little disclaimer here -- the comments I will make are based solely on the before and after effects of the tune on this specific car, which has been in my possession for approximately 7 months. I've had no other tunes beside this one and there (I wish I could) is no way for me to compare this to the other products on the market. So here goes.....

COLD START IDLE QUALITY & PERFORMANCE

Idle quality is unchanged from the stock configuration. The only thing that *seems* different is the length of the warm up cycle -- on first start up the exhaust is a little loud with the exhaust system (note: the same with OEM software installed) -- but the time the secondary air pump operates seems to be a little shorter.. the exhaust tone used to change to a deep growl after driving a block or two, but now its growling before I get out of the driveway... this may just be me... but I've tried to listen carefully the last couple of days .. and I'm pretty sure its changed -- not a bad thing just something to note. If some of the other guys with GIAC notice this please let me know if this is accurate.

With the BMW software, it took a little time before the throttle response was decent - a half mile or so and she'd spool up nicely, now on drive away - the car feels ready to go. I usually keep my rpms down till I know the oil has warmed up a bit - so now I'm extra careful to keep it under 3k until I see the oil temp start to move. In this category I would rate the improvement a strong 7 (out of 10) due to quickness the software reacts to cold start situations.

LOW SPEED THROTTLE RESPONSE (UNDER 25MPH)

The original throttle response at low speed seemed a little "soft", but is not out of the ordinary, as most newer cars seem to hesitate off the start due to several factors; one of which is the current technology of "drive by wire"(no direct connection between the throttle butterfly and the accelerator pedal). Along with the time it takes for the turbos to make sufficient boost, makes the noticeable "turbo lag" complaint -- I am pleasantly surprised that this issue is gone in the Stage 1 GIAC flash. As I have heard, the waste gates are closed, instead of modulating at lower rpms - this may have been a safety measure by BMW for the drivers not accustomed to significant power and the tendency to do "jack rabbit" starts and winding up in someone else trunk.

After a generous amount of light throttle driving in low speed traffic, the DME has adapted quite well, and out the hole the car feels like a strong v8 with no hesitation .. almost a carbon copy of NA throttle applications. It pulls hard like my mustang 5.0 which is pretty hair triggered. The power comes on with clean ramping, no notchy plateaus -- there are no surprises, which makes this tune good for me, as I love a good canyon run every now and then, and its hard on the nerves when you have to pre-anticipate your throttle modulation on downshift. As a true example -- a few days ago I had the good fortune to be behind a e92 M3 and pulled up alongside of him (his car was pretty tricked out -- lowered, aero kit, custom brakes, and wheels with a nasty sounding exhaust -- DCT tranny cause I could hear the throttle blip on his downshifts. He looked over at me, and totally dismissed me (I like that!!) as though I was driving a 328 coupe
he didnt engage launch control (his rpms were still low), and I knew my chances were very limited .. but I'd at least try to spank him on the start. I get a tiny roll on the light and BAM!!
I had put at least a car and a half on him before he knew I was running -- i heard him nail it and he started to pull extremely hard -- but I clicked 2nd gear and was 2 cars in front of him. YES!! happyanim: I had not tipped my hand by revving the engine up and right of the hole she pulls hard __ no lag whatsoever !! And yes i shut it down -- but that v8 was starting to haul a$$..

I rate the low speed reaction time and power curve a 10+ -- it makes driving the car much more fun-- and it was no slouch in the beginning.

MIDRANGE POWER
This is the easy part -- the mid-range power on this tune is aggressive -- if you want it to be. In earlier incarnation of turbo applications you had that sweet spot that once you reached it the car just took off -- sometimes to your dismay.. you were at the bidding of your car -- rather than the other way around. Times and tuning has changed and the power is more controlled and a lot smoother. GIAC (if not now) may in the near future become the benchmark for smoothness and control. I say this without knowledge or judgement against any of the other tunes on the market. Just my previous experience with 80's and 90's turbo car.
During a drive to work, in the late evening I had a chance to test my midrange power against (what i would assume was bone stock) e92 335 --- I was on a good stretch of open highway, and he passed me up and swung in front of me. So I had no intention of passing him, just seeing how well I could keep up. He took the bait, and darted off -- only once did i shift into 5th gear.. and I found myself way too close to his rear bumper. In 6th gear I could easily reel him in without breathing hard. I had this type of engagement with a e90 335i (when my car was stock) and it was much more difficult to match speed, since i believe we were on equal footing. If I'm not careful. i find myself at 100mph without trying. Nailing the gas at 25-2700rpm gives you that "whoa Nellie" feeling -- but you'll probably just keep going.. its addicting
The tune is like having a selective fire weapon - single shot, burst, full auto... Takes your enjoyment of driving to a new level. In second, third redline comes quickly if you request it, fourth gear I've yet to redline the car, but up to 6grand it is strong. Through the full midrange the throttle response is snappy and graded -- never out of control.

I rate the midrange 10 as it is beefy and well graduated -- pulling strong when requested -- cruising when necessary. I was not looking for fierce beastly type of power, but it will deliver if you ask it to.

TOP END POWER

YTBT (yet to be tested)

Ive not had a chance to make a top end run. when I do will follow up with a short report

REFLECTIONS ---
With the tune installed -- i believe this is the car BMW engineers had in mind. But due to all the legalities, nannies and safety features have to be built in the a true enthusiast car. although the tune does not currently offer a switching option, but the flash tune is like having a home cooked meal -- it tastes just right!! From what I understand is that GIAC manipulates the myriad of maps in the DME, thereby the car is more at home with the wide range of variables that are originally designed into the DME unit.

The other really interesting point is that I have never broken traction -- not once -- even with the mini race with the M3. I not seen the DSC/DTC engage and have a sudden loss of power, now I know if I revved the engine and dumped the clutch, I could get the car out of line. But with normal driving, its never acted up for me (maybe is just my driving)..

With temps way over 100 degrees here in SoCal valleys, the oil temp never (repeat never) went over 225 degrees and sometimes a tad lower when running the A/C -since the aux fan is running .. this is amazing due to the act the car is on boost more than when stock. maybe my oil temp gauge is broken

i am so impressed with the Stage 1 tune I'm considering picking up an FMIC and going to stage 2.. but thats a ways off ... maybe .. I'll have to see how everything works out..

Overall I rate the tune a perfect 10 -- i have no SES light -- half engine symbols .. DSC/ DCT lights, or reduction in power. It makes your daily driver "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

I hope the other guys with the GIAC tune are having as much fun as I am ___

Take care -- and have a great day..
Appreciate 0