Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG/SO M3

2 ED questions - castle route and driving in Munich

All

I am scheduled to pick up my SO M3 August 24th. I could use help with 2 questions:

1) I am going with my family and want to take them to at least a few of the castles in Bavaria. Anyone have any good routes and places to stay? I think we have about 2 days for that part of the trip. I looked at the BMW routes in the sticky section but none seem focused on castles (but maybe I missed it).

2) Originally we were flying to Munich on 8/22 for the Monday 8/24 pickup at Welt. However, we had to shift our flights and now are coming in 8/20. Is it worth it to try to move my car pickup to Friday 8/21? I have already moved the date once so they are not going to like changing it again. To me the issue is whether there is enough to do in the Munich area that does not need a car. if so, we can just pick the car up on monday.

thanks for any advice

Ian
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

1. I'll let others that are more familiar/experienced with the routes comment on this.

2. Yes, there are so many things to do without needing a car. My brother and I were just in Munich a week ago and spent 3 days there seeing things on foot. You can take the subway to pretty much anything in Munich (or walk like we did if you prefer that).

- Visit Marienplatz, Hofbrauhaus, Residenz since they're all nearby.
- Take the train and then short bus to Dachau
- Do Mike's Bike Tour (good way to get an intro to the city). It's fun and educational. They stop at a beer garden so you can get some beer and food. They offer tours to Dachau as well.
- Nymphenburg Palace
- That one modern tech museum that I can never seem to remember the name of.
- You could always visit the Welt before pick up date. That way you can just pick up the car and go.
- I believe Mike's Bike offers tours to Eagle's Nest and Neuschwanstein so you can do that as well (pretty much one whole day).
- Visit the English Garden and swim in the river or surf there if you so choose.
- It's also nice to just sit at a cafe and people watch.
- Go see an opera.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Shizzel720
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvehound
All

I am scheduled to pick up my SO M3 August 24th. I could use help with 2 questions:

1) I am going with my family and want to take them to at least a few of the castles in Bavaria. Anyone have any good routes and places to stay? I think we have about 2 days for that part of the trip. I looked at the BMW routes in the sticky section but none seem focused on castles (but maybe I missed it).

2) Originally we were flying to Munich on 8/22 for the Monday 8/24 pickup at Welt. However, we had to shift our flights and now are coming in 8/20. Is it worth it to try to move my car pickup to Friday 8/21? I have already moved the date once so they are not going to like changing it again. To me the issue is whether there is enough to do in the Munich area that does not need a car. if so, we can just pick the car up on monday.

thanks for any advice

Ian
Just FYI I have ED pick up scheduled for 8/22 and asked the ED department to pull it in for 8/21 and got rejected. They are fully booked for 8/21 but you can certainly try.
      07-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Yeah I bet it's hard to move your delivery date. I'd recommend leaving a day in between. Worst case scenario, you're planes delayed a day, you'd still be able to pick up. I almost missed my pick up because of that exact situation. Also, like someone said, there is a lot you can do without needing the car. Might be nice to not have to worry about it for a day or two while you enjoy munich.
      07-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
1. I'll let others that are more familiar/experienced with the routes comment on this.

2. Yes, there are so many things to do without needing a car. My brother and I were just in Munich a week ago and spent 3 days there seeing things on foot. You can take the subway to pretty much anything in Munich (or walk like we did if you prefer that).

- Visit Marienplatz, Hofbrauhaus, Residenz since they're all nearby.
- Take the train and then short bus to Dachau
- Do Mike's Bike Tour (good way to get an intro to the city). It's fun and educational. They stop at a beer garden so you can get some beer and food. They offer tours to Dachau as well.
- Nymphenburg Palace
- That one modern tech museum that I can never seem to remember the name of.
- You could always visit the Welt before pick up date. That way you can just pick up the car and go.
- I believe Mike's Bike offers tours to Eagle's Nest and Neuschwanstein so you can do that as well (pretty much one whole day).
- Visit the English Garden and swim in the river or surf there if you so choose.
- It's also nice to just sit at a cafe and people watch.
- Go see an opera.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.
thanks, that is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Yeah I bet it's hard to move your delivery date. I'd recommend leaving a day in between. Worst case scenario, you're planes delayed a day, you'd still be able to pick up. I almost missed my pick up because of that exact situation. Also, like someone said, there is a lot you can do without needing the car. Might be nice to not have to worry about it for a day or two while you enjoy munich.
Good advice. We actually will be coming from Prague, not the US, so less of a chance to miss the delivery date, but regardless, sounds like we dont really need a car in Munich
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

Yeah you 100% without a doubt don't need a car.

In fact, a car would be more trouble in Munich than just taking public transportation. Between the S and U-Bahns, as well as the street cars, you can get everywhere within and outside of the city. Public transport is excellent in Munich.

A CityTourCard is the card you'd want for public transport. Last time I was there in Christmas it was about ~10 Euro per day per person for the whole network, or ~18 Euro for a group up to like 5 people per day.

If you want it for more than one day they have multiple day cards up to like a week.

EDIT: Almost forgot! You get some decent discounts with the CityTourCard on tourist things in Munich. LOTS of things.... http://www.citytourcard-muenchen.com...rtner/?lang=en
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
literal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 M sport, M4

Hotel Muller was very accommodating for visiting Hohenschwangau Castle and Neuschwanstein Castle. We were able to purchase tickets at our hotel front desk to avoiding waiting in the long lines that looked to be at least an hour. The hotel had a complementary breakfast that was pretty good. The hotel food was also alright (wife and I not really into german food). We would highly recommend staying there to anyone. (ask for room with WINDOW!)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
As far as places to stay at Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau check out my delivery thread (in signature).....the Hotel Villa Ludwig was just phenomenal. Well worth the stay, rooms with a view of the castle, and you can also purchase tickets for the tour there as well.

The underground parking garage was great as well.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
This may seem like a big issue, but its not really, i have seen people miss the day and still pick up their cars the next morning. They have no interest in you not picking up your car.

As for moving you schedule, you can try. I believe they have blocks of times for regions. I tried to move mine to earlier in the day and had no luck. On the day I arrived I got there about 8AM, although I didnt need to be their until 10:30. The woman asked if I if I wanted to move it up, she called down and I was delivered at 9, and thats only because I said I wanted to have breakfast.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to all for the good advice. Really looking forward to the trip
Ian
Appreciate 0