BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You guys need to contact BMW NA in writting, regsitered mail. THAT will get their attention!

Tell them what is going on. They in turn will have a regional service manager (RSM) fix your car thru the dealership of your choice. Maybe make a video of the white noise issue.

Just don't buy into "it's normal, they all do that"... BS.

Btw... I believe all replacement HU are rebuilt radios. Perhaps this is your issue. ? Why not "test" one of teh dealer's new model 135i's to see IF "they all do that". I bet they don't.

Dackel
Called my Service REP today and waiting on a phone call back. This is the second time I have brought it back because of this issue. I hate doing this and I usually don't take any BS the dealer gives me.

It's time this service app goes my way (is the tune to how this will go down) until the issue is resolved. I have been in BMW's on the lot and some do the noise some do not. I think it is an issue with the USED radios, not the new ones like you stated Dackel.

Hopefully this will be resolved. I will keep everyone posted on what actually happens.
      03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Called my Service REP today and waiting on a phone call back. This is the second time I have brought it back because of this issue. I hate doing this and I usually don't take any BS the dealer gives me.

It's time this service app goes my way (is the tune to how this will go down) until the issue is resolved. I have been in BMW's on the lot and some do the noise some do not. I think it is an issue with the USED radios, not the new ones like you stated Dackel.

Hopefully this will be resolved. I will keep everyone posted on what actually happens.

No, no, NO!

Forget your service rep. Forget your SA's service manager. You need to go up higher on the food chain. Write a letter and send it registered mail.

Come to think of it... you could look in the radio's hidden menu to see IF the radio is set to USA specs instead of EU or Jap specs. Here is my DIY...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=diy+radio

I really do not think this would help you... but atleast you could see IF your new radio is setup correctly for the USA radio reception.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #25
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No, no, NO!

Forget your service rep. Forget your SA's service manager. You need to go up higher on the food chain. Write a letter and send it registered mail.

Come to think of it... you could look in the radio's hidden menu to see IF the radio is set to USA specs instead of EU or Jap specs. Here is my DIY...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=diy+radio

I really do not think this would help you... but atleast you could see IF your new radio is setup correctly for the USA radio reception.

Dackel
I am at school currently so someone came and picked up my car for me because I have little time during the weekday schedule.

Complaints:
1) White noise (again...)
2) Rattling behind radio head unit...
3) Squeaky armrest
4) Whatever else needs done.

Should get my car back on Saturday
      04-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Had someone pick up my car on Thursday car is still in shop waiting on some parts... my REP told me that the noise is normal, I said I would rather them keep the car and spend as much money trying to fix it then me have that damn noise. Covered under warranty of course

So.... my car is still in the shop... I hope to have it by this week and the noise gone.
      04-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #27
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
UPDATE

Okay so I get my car back tomorrow and had a friend go up there for me to test it out. He test drove it around with a TECHY for about 30 minutes and could not replicate the "white noise" problem. So I believe they finally fixed it!

Here is the concenses of what they did...

This time pulled out all the wires and everything in the dash to resets everything. [Hard reset] and put back in the original head unit that I had in there. Fixed the problem. This in fact was a random problem that they told me was probably related to a small electrical short in one of the wires not being plugged in properly.

Other things that they did while my car was in:
-Tail light recall (re-seal) both
-Stopped the middle console from squeaking (dunno what they did...) now it does not squeak!
-Stopped a rattling behind the head unit... (apparently was to do with a part of the interior trim vibrating on the dash of the BMW, fixed by putting a small piece of rubber hidden from view) do not notice at all!

All in all I am very pleased with having my car back to normal. No more problems and everything sounds great again! No more annoying "white noise". So if you have this problem tell your TECH/REP that its the head unit and that they need to just try to reset it or take it out and plug it back in...

Will be getting a free detail before I have the car delivered to me tomorrow!

I am very happy

Last edited by Satalite; 04-06-2011 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #28
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
UPDATE 4/7/2011

Received car today... only to find that the noise persists! Will be taking it back tomorrow. The dealer doesn't seem to know whats wrong anymore. I am looking into seeing if they can replace the entire system in the car with a new one or an upgraded Hi-Fi system.

More to come...
      04-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
nsimkins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I have my 2009 128i in the shop for the same issue that appeared after the radio was replaced late last year due to a problem with one of the knobs on the radio (they also had to upgrade/reprogram the vehicle afterwards). They are able to hear it but not sure what is wrong. It is definitely annoying and loud enough to be heard even when driving so I'm hoping something good will come out of this.

I'll post an update as well if I hear anything. Glad I'm not going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #30
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimkins View Post
I have my 2009 128i in the shop for the same issue that appeared after the radio was replaced late last year due to a problem with one of the knobs on the radio (they also had to upgrade/reprogram the vehicle afterwards). They are able to hear it but not sure what is wrong. It is definitely annoying and loud enough to be heard even when driving so I'm hoping something good will come out of this.

I'll post an update as well if I hear anything. Glad I'm not going crazy.
Another fellow member in the same issue. Sorry to hear that. Ya my REP got in the car today and stated, "This is not normal at all..." so now I will be bringing the car back after I take out my PowerBOX that I had installed awhile ago so I don't run into any problems regarding that and my warranty!

Will also post updates when this is all said and done.
      04-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #31
Hprockets
Canada
Rep

I have the same problem with the white noise. Its very annoying!!
Please update us when you get this fixed!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #32
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Just had the car go into the dealer yesterday... (apparently they have had no app. times) so should be hearing back from them this weekend.
      05-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
nsimkins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I figured I'd post an update. Had the car in service for about a week (last month) and they did finally confirm the issue exists.

They replaced the amp, but with original head-unit = no change
They replaced the head-unit, but with original amp = no change
They replaced both the head-unit and amp from another vehicle = problem went away

So instead of BMW allowing them to order a new head-unit and amp, they had to supply the serial numbers and other information so they can troubleshoot the issue (assuming a combination of hardware is causing the problem). It's been about a month so I plan on following-up with the dealer to see where they stand.

They seem to think it has to do with the combination with a certain build of the amp and head-units combined with the software update. I'll post up some updates when I hear them.

I'm curious of anyone else has had any headway?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #34
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimkins View Post
I figured I'd post an update. Had the car in service for about a week (last month) and they did finally confirm the issue exists.

They replaced the amp, but with original head-unit = no change
They replaced the head-unit, but with original amp = no change
They replaced both the head-unit and amp from another vehicle = problem went away

So instead of BMW allowing them to order a new head-unit and amp, they had to supply the serial numbers and other information so they can troubleshoot the issue (assuming a combination of hardware is causing the problem). It's been about a month so I plan on following-up with the dealer to see where they stand.

They seem to think it has to do with the combination with a certain build of the amp and head-units combined with the software update. I'll post up some updates when I hear them.

I'm curious of anyone else has had any headway?
It is the combination of software updates from BMW and the footwell units that are updated. Each one gets updated when BMW goes through the update list and apparently when the electronic/audio (footwell module) was update there is some problem.

So yes you are correct it is a software issue. BMW HAS CONFIRMED this for me. I am surprised that your issue was fixed. Just by changing out amp/head unit of older car? Once they update, your hosed.